Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Monday - got into work early so I could go straight out again for a run, about 8k

Tuesday - bargained my way out of the house :) for a short run in the morning, new watch so I know it was 5.3k in 26.22 minutes

Wednesday - club christmas run, from Kiltipper nursing home up through waterworks and back for cake. Parked a couple of miles away to get a bit extra in, about 16k altogether

Thursday - couple of hours up to the park and back

Friday - back in work, 10k at lunch

Saturday - tempo run, short and slow, 5k in about 19 minutes. An easy 5k in the afternoon

Sunday - up to the waterworks again for a long run. Met theboyblunder and jcsmum up there, on a recovery run after marathons the day before. Jogging along nicely until tbb managed to run into a railing:eek:. He was actually in a bad way for a few minutes, had to be brought to hospital to be checked out, but is back on his feet again now.

Monday - 10k and strides in the morning, 5k jog in the afternoon

Tuesday - Jogged down to Bushy, slow parkrun, jogged home to collect the kid and then drove to Tymon where he ran and I marshalled.

I see everyone is doing their years in review, but 2018 was one to forget really. Started off okay, decent runs in Raheny and Trim 10 mile. DNF in Rotterdam. Decent run in Tallaght 5k. Slow in Terenure. DNF in Dunshaughlin. Slow runs in Mullingar, Tullamore, and Blessington. Dublin marathon went about as well as could be expected. Cross country since then has been blah - no expectations, no targets, no performances. Over 5000km run, but that's a means to an end that wasn't there :rolleyes:

2019 will keep the mileage high, but more work on things to make the running more effective - gym, exercise at home, strides/hills/form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Funny about TBB & the railing (in a sore kinda way).

Have you specific targets for 2019 Ray? Marathons / shorter ??

Funny about TBB & the railing (in a sore kinda way).

Have you specific targets for 2019 Ray? Marathons / shorter ??

It was all TRR's fault - Dave AC were out in matching running gear on the other side of the road and TBB was too busy slagging them to pay attention to where he was going. (But TRR did redeem himself by having a phone on him)

races this year -

Masters XC on Sunday
    Raheny
    might be running XC again at start of February? otherwise I don't know
    maybe the MSB 5k
    Dunboyne are now doing a 10k instead of a 4 mile, will probably run that
    Great Ireland run
    Graded meets start May 1st
    Terenure 5 mile
    Leinster masters?
    Dunshaughlin
    Day of 5k PBs
    Either Rock and Roll half or Frank Duffy 10
    Charleville half
    Frankfurt marathon

Wednesday - back in work, so 8k at lunch and then a run home, ending with strides

Thursday - day off, 20k up and around Phoenix park, taking it very easy

Friday - work again, 13k in and 8 at lunch, both very easy

Saturday - no tempo with the race on Sunday, so up to Tymon and 8 sets of short hill sprints, from the tower in the corner by the Spawell

Sunday - Dublin Masters XC
    Got a lift out with a clubmate and were there in plenty of time. Went for a lap first in runners to see how it was, but decided to go for the spikes and another lap with them before the women raced. Huge crowd in both races, which I didn't account for well enough - thought I was reasonably placed but I was completely boxed in once the gun went. First km I was trying to go as fast as I could, in any space I could, but still felt too slow. It didn't feel like I had room to run until after the first log jump. There is a psychological advantage though, in constantly gaining on people and passing them out.

Lots of support around the course, and there were a couple of people in the race to keep me honest - a Portmarnock guy who was moving through the field as fast as me, and a clubmate I was gaining on ahead. Passed the clubmate with about a km to go, pushed ahead of Portmarnock before the final bend, and got a few more in the last sprint.

25:14 final time, 102nd, and 15th in age category. Splits were very even, a couple of seconds between each km. Overall I was happy with that - felt I raced it, unlike the last two cross countries, so the only let-down was bad initial positioning, or just not pushing harder in the first 100m. Still not a great time by any means, but getting back to something reasonable.

The downside is I seem to have some plantar fasciitis - my feet have been sore in the mornings for ages, but I get it during the day now too, any time I get up after sitting down for a while. All still manageable, disappears when I'm running (or a few minutes walking), but annoying. So I'm rolling and massaging the base of my foot regularly now, hoping it will ease off after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Ray,

Seen you on the start line, and you looked pretty serious, decided that you didn't want me taking you out of the zone :)

Well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

RayCun wrote: »
    It was all TRR's fault - Dave AC were out in matching running gear on the other side of the road and TBB was too busy slagging them to pay attention to where he was going. (But TRR did redeem himself by having a phone on him)

I think what you were supposed to say is that TRR was minding his own business and even though he received some verbal abuse he was still enough of a legend to save TBB's life! ;) #DaveAC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All ok Ray?

10 days of no running through illness - just a cold? that persisted an insanely long time.
    On the good side, enforced rest for the plantar fascia on my left foot which is still dodgy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best tomorrow Ray, run well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of running today Ray

page 4 of the training logs :eek:

so, January...
    started to feel like I was recovering from the marathon at the beginning of January with the masters XC, but my feet were getting increasingly sore from plantar fasciitis. Then ten days of no running with a cold, and feet started to get better. Feet still getting better when I started running again, but fitness gone to ****. Raheny I ran mostly without looking at the watch, in 3:38, 3:44, 3:55, 3:38 (downhill), 3:52, 3:51, 3:59 (looked at my watch for this beep, the worst possible time to do so!), 3:57 - adding up to slow. :o Still, better to run it than to miss it.

264k for the month, just a little off target
    4 gym sessions
    7 sets of strides
    2 hill sessions
    one session - 200s
    3 races - Bushy parkrun (blah), masters XC (okay), Raheny (:rolleyes:)

quick update -

week from Jan 28th - 106k, one set of 12x200 with 200 jog recovery (a session that fits easily in lunch break and Irishtown park), one set of strides, gym session, 'tempo' run was really steady - no-one was going fast, for various reasons, so I just sat in with a group and chatted, and 24k long run, up to Bohernabreena and back, with some 30 second surges along the way

week from Feb 4th - 118k, 12x200 again, one set of strides, gym session, and two 10k progression runs (actually 7k of progression, starting at very slow). Spent most of the weekend in Abbottstown at Dublin juvenile champs so no tempo or long run.

week from 11th - distance will be about the same, 12 x 200 again, 8 x 10 hills, no gym. Adding some pace changes on the longer runs to work - basically running faster at 3/4 places where this is a good surface and no sideroads. Work stuff midweek messed up my schedule, car stuff might mess up the weekend.

Weighed myself during the week, 70kg :eek::o Diet changes required...

foot getting better. Still a bit sore in the shower (the only time I'm out of shoes) but generally okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ray, if your still running that mileage with PF then there's hope for me.:D

I didn't run for a month as I though I had to rest it...but I was told last Thursday that I can run on it. Now the month off made a huge difference to the foot so probably no harm. It was niggling from Sept and I was ignoring it:eek:

It must have been a mild case :)

I wear runners *all the time*. Get up in the morning (or the middle of the night!) and I don't take a step without them on. Get in from a run and take off one pair, straight into another pair. Still some discomfort in the shower, and for a few minutes in the morning or after I've been sitting down a long time, but no problems the rest of the day or when I'm running.

I have been stretching more often during the day too - calf stretches when I'm standing, and pulling my toes back and massaging the base of my foot when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

It must have been a mild case :)

I wear runners *all the time*. Get up in the morning (or the middle of the night!) and I don't take a step without them on. Get in from a run and take off one pair, straight into another pair. Still some discomfort in the shower, and for a few minutes in the morning or after I've been sitting down a long time, but no problems the rest of the day or when I'm running.

I have been stretching more often during the day too - calf stretches when I'm standing, and pulling my toes back and massaging the base of my foot when I can.

I must start wearing my runners more often. "granny slippers" as my kids call them are not very supportive and Flat boots in work aren't helping and I've an awful habit of sitting at the desk and not moving for a few hours!!!

Stretching the foot before I get out of bed has also helped. Although my life saver has definitely been the tennis ball. Couldn't do the golf ball and OONegative suggested the tennis ball and its been fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Consider loading the PF too like you would an Achilles tendon. Roll up a towel, stand on a step with the towel under your toes and ball of the foot, this activates the windlass mechanism. Slowly do a calf raise, 3 secs up, 2 secs hold, 3 secs down dropping below the step. Some mild pain allowed, aim for 12 ish reps and try and do 3 sets. Build up slowly and add weight and decrease reps as needed.

Also, "consult with your medical professional before trying this". ;)

week from 11th - distance will be about the same, 12 x 200 again, 8 x 10 hills, no gym. Adding some pace changes on the longer runs to work - basically running faster at 3/4 places where this is a good surface and no sideroads. Work stuff midweek messed up my schedule, car stuff might mess up the weekend.

ended up with 124k. Couldn't get to tempo on Saturday morning so I went to Tymon parkrun instead. Parkrun at tempo pace (19:40) followed by 10x400 with 75 seconds recovery. Sunday went up to Bohernabreena again, alternating 30 and 60 second surges.

this week - distance will be similar. 10 x 300 off a minute on Tuesday, gym Wednesday, hill session Thursday morning (day off) followed a few hours later by trailing along behind the juvenile distance group on a 45 minute run. (Daylight session since it was midterm). Pacing Tymon on Saturday so will follow up with 400s again.

this week - distance will be similar. 10 x 300 off a minute on Tuesday, gym Wednesday, hill session Thursday morning (day off) followed a few hours later by trailing along behind the juvenile distance group on a 45 minute run. (Daylight session since it was midterm). Pacing Tymon on Saturday so will follow up with 400s again.

Friday was an easy run at lunch and a late jog
    Saturday - tempo (pacing) parkrun and 400s again, legs were fairly fried afterwards
    Sunday - had planned to go up to Bohernabreena with surges again, but settled for a plod around the grass in Tymon
    116k for the week

this week -
    Made it to a club training session for the first time in ages, 3 x 2 miles, 'at 10 mile pace', two minutes recovery. Joined in a group with 3 others for the first one, second one was just me trailing another guy, third I did 500m with a couple of others before turning around to run down to the kids' training session to collect my two. A bit under 4/km for the first two, a bit over for the last one. Gym on Wednesday, strides on Monday and Thursday, and a whole lot of easy running otherwise.

February
    485k for the month
    3 gym sessions
    5 sets of strides
    3 hill sessions
    7 sessions - 2 x (5k tempo/400s), 2 x 200s, 1 x 300s, 1 tempo, 1 3x2 miles
    no races

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That's a 300 mile month - top man!

More easy runs on Friday and Saturday, the session/gym double on Tuesday/Wednesday really wiped out my legs.

Lusk 4 mile

They've no luck with the weather in Lusk, last year they had snow, this year it was fecking miserable - cold with constant heavy rain :(. (and snow afterwards) It didn't even occur to me to maybe wear some warmer clothes :rolleyes: I was still in a singlet and short shorts (not even my club singlet, I lent that to a kid at the Dublin indoors and haven't got it back yet so I was wearing one from the day of 5000 PBs)

Got out for a 'warm-up' lap of the course about half an hour before the start, finished colder than when I started, too cold and miserable to do any drills. I just wanted to run and get it over with.

The starting km is mostly downhill, but there's a hairpin turn after 100m and another at about 500m. After a km we reach the edge of town and the next k is on a ring road, then another k coming back into town and a few hundred metres drag back to the start/finish line for a second lap.

Didn't look at y watch during the race, but 3:36 for the first k, a slow start. By the time we got to the ring road my legs felt like they'd woken up, next two k were 3:45 and 3:47, and I was chasing down the people ahead. The drag up to the finish and the turns in the next k sucked some momentum, 3:52, but then back on the ring road and the road into the village picked up again with more targets to chase (3:45, 3:39). I thought it was a fairly controlled run until I hit the drag again and really suffered going up, hanging on rather than charging to the finish, 3:41 pace for the last bit.

24:17 in the end, not a great time but good to get the race in.

Monday - training course and platelet donation, sneaked out for 5k at lunch
    Tuesday - run into work, 5x1k club session later (3:48, 3:38, 3:46, 3:37, 3:45), two minutes recovery
    Wednesday - run into work, another at lunch, gym in the evening
    Thursday - lunch run, run home. No strides, knee felt stiff
    Friday - run into work, lunch run
    Saturday - alternating tempo in the morning, recovery jog in afternoon.
    (4:01, 3:55, 3:59, 3:52, 3:57, 3:48 - not the best control there)
    Sunday - easy long run, up to reservoir (or nearly the reservoir) and back. Right quad a bit sore, no surges.

119k for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

What's the plan Ray? Or is there a plan?

Duanington wrote: »
    What's the plan Ray? Or is there a plan?

Plans are overrated ;)

:pac:

Keep mileage about the same for next few months
    Keep hitting the Tuesday club sessions and Saturday tempos
    Gradually increase the tempo distance/difficulty
    Keep hitting the gym (until the gradeds start, then it will be week on/week off)
    Keep doing short hills and strides when possible
    Keep the long runs as two hours easy for the rest of this month, while I get used to everything else, then bring back surges and some longer runs

Lots of races - Dunboyne later this month, national 10k and road relays (if on team) in April, Tallaght and Terenure in May, Dunshaughlin in June, most of the graded meets, and I'm thinking three half marathons (Rock and roll, Tullamore, Charleville) before Frankfurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice, good plan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

What would the plan of action be for those 3 halves Ray? Would you race one or more, or would they be used as MP sessions or part of a LR etc.?

healy1835 wrote: »
    What would the plan of action be for those 3 halves Ray? Would you race one or more, or would they be used as MP sessions or part of a LR etc.?

race them all :D

I think there's three weeks between each one

Monday - easy run home from work, strides
    Tuesday - run in. Club session in the evening was 800s, but in that wind it was impossible to run by time or effort, just get them done any old how.
    Wednesday - run in, run at lunch, gym in the evening
    Thursday - run at lunch, run home with strides
    Friday - run in, run at lunch
    Saturday - tempo run, 7k, and a recovery jog in the afternoon
    Sunday - two hour run. Was going up to Phoenix park but ran across a green on the way and the grass was soooo goooood, so changed direction, went to Tymon, and plodded through the mud instead.
    123k for the week

• Advertisement

Monday - easy run in the morning, ending with strides

Tuesday - run at lunchtime. Club session in the evening was 'short' hills. The hill is near the top of Stocking Lane, 250m hard up and jog down recovery. Had to run up from the kid's training, and get back for 8, so only had time for 7 reps. Everyone had started already so I had 5 reps slowly gaining on a couple of guys, one rep passing them (and then being chased for the last 100m), and one rep on my own because I stopped on the jog to tie my laces.

Wednesday - run in, run at lunch, gym in the evening

Thursday - run at lunch, run home with strides

Friday - run in, run at lunch. Small gym session in the evening - start of a new block, so the guy who gives us the programme came in and ran through all the new exercises with us to make sure we knew what we were doing.

Saturday - tempo run, 7k, some running around Santry watching the schools international cross country, and a recovery jog in the afternoon. The kid was coming to Santry to cheer on his training partner so he came to the tempo session first, and strolled around the 7 laps about 20 seconds faster than his old man :)

Sunday - met up with Wottle and his entourage for an early run to Bohernabreena, a little shorter and a little faster than I'd have done on my own, nice to get in with a group though

122k for the week

feeling fairly wrecked today, the extra trip to the gym on Friday, short as it was, was a little extra push I could have done without. I really noticed it on the downhills from the reservoir yesterday, braking and accelerating down were both equally precarious, felt like my legs could just go :eek:. Easy day today...

Advertisement