Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Problem is, Ray will get the 3:30, i am a outside bet for it.

The big underdog tag:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Problem is, Ray will get the 3:30, i am a outside bet for it.

The big underdog tag:D

Where's your confidence man?

Never confident when comes to a marathon as anything can go wrong on the day.

Play it by year and will start with 3.30 group.

Whats your plan for the remaining of this week before Donadea?

Thinking of jsut doing 7 mile recovery with strides?

Mr Slow i know you be reading this also, so fill us in also!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Just a short easy run today, about 8k home from work. My legs are in need of recovery...

• Advertisement

6 Recovery tonight, 2/3 on Friday at the same pace.

What time are you aiming for Ray?

What time are you aiming for Ray?

3:25 I'd say!;)

around 43 - I'll see how I feel on the morning
    I've had two bad 10ks this year, so any half decent time will be an improvement, and I feel like I'm already close to the injury/overtraining edge so I don't want to push over it.

RayCun wrote: »
    I've had two bad 10ks this year, so any half decent time will be an improvement, and I feel like I'm already close to the injury/overtraining edge so I don't want to push over it.

That's sensible, you may however find sense floats out the window once you get going and on the back of your 5k you'd be well capable of sub 42 at least.

Did you get my PM?

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That's sensible, you may however find sense floats out the window once you get going and on the back of your 5k you'd be well capable of sub 42 at least.

Did you get my PM?

Yeah, I'll see how I am. My hip is feeling a bit stiff today, but maybe it'll have loosened up by Saturday (and then I'll wreck it completely :) )

Got your PM, that's fine with me.

Same as me, if things go really well maybe a sub 43 bearly.

Dont want to over do it either

maybe a sub 43 bearly.

Now we have a race!

Ha ha,

Your really just looking for a bet.

Maybe Ray we a bus at half way and do a sub 40!!!

And wait for him with apple pie in our mouths!!

Maybe Ray we a bus at half way and do a sub 40!!!

And wait for him with apple pie in our mouths!!

Sounds romantic! :P

There's two laps, isn't there? Nip into the woods on the first, come out again on 'the second', sorted!

Nip into the woods , come out

Something to tell us Ray? :P

That'd distract everyone from my finishing time at least

And we would have a sub 40 :D

8.76 in 53.02 (6.03 pace)

Short and easy, as planned. Feeling a little better towards the end of this, but still kind of tired.

kmtd: 143.34

• Advertisement

Donadea 10k - 42.44

Started with a walk to the LUAS stop to get the LUAS into town to meet Chinguetti to get a lift out to the Spa Hotel to meet Mr Slow to get a lift out to Donadea... We were out good an early anyway, signed up by 9.30, and were thinking about going home again immediately because surely the race couldn't live up to the goody bag? Went for a warmup jog anyway, and met Aimman, Pistol, and averagerunner (and Digijem afterwards) before lining up at the start. A bit of a delay at the beginning, as everyone had to filter past the start line to get into position, but by a few minutes past 11 we were off...

First couple of km I thought I might be in trouble. The muscle in my upper thigh had been a bit sore during the warmup, but usually these things disappear when the race proper starts. This time it didn't. My pace dropped from 4.13 in the first k to 4.18 in the second and Chinguetti pulled away from me around 2k, after running beside me for a while, so it all looked like it might go horribly wrong for a while.
    But, while I knew I wasn't going to catch chinguetti, there were plenty of other people in front of me so I started working on them. The usual targets - earphone wearers, people heavier than me, anyone whose t-shirt I didn't like the look of :pac: - you can always find a reason why the person in front doesn't really deserve to be in front of you, and should be put back in their place :) So I got faster again, down to 4.10 in the 3rd k... and then slower again as we got into the forest itself. Some of this was the usual 'everyone else is slowing down more so you don't realise you're slowing too', some was the usual mid-race struggle, and some of it is probably me not actually slowing down, but my Garmin getting confused by the tree cover and the bends in the path. (My pace on the Garmin was fluctuating wildly, and we all read the course as short)
    Passing the 5k mark was a boost. Even though there was half the race left to go, just the fact of being on the last 'lap' made things easier. I'd been running on my own for a while, and now I started to catch up on the runners in front. The last 3k or so were very enjoyable. Up to then at the back of my mind I'd been worrying that I was going to run out of energy and slow down, but now I knew I'd be speeding up to the finish. My last k was the fastest at 4.05 pace.

Just checked the results - 21.30 for the first 5k split, 21.14 for the second

After two bad 10ks this year, I've finally run one I'm happy with. That's almost all of the time goals I set at the beginning of the year bettered - the only one left is the 3.30 marathon...

kmtd: 153.34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

... there were plenty of other people in front of me so I started working on them. The usual targets - earphone wearers, people heavier than me, anyone whose t-shirt I didn't like the look of :pac: - you can always find a reason why the person in front doesn't really deserve to be in front of you, and should be put back in their place :)

:D very true. Well done on a good race

you can always find a reason why the person in front doesn't really deserve to be in front of you, and should be put back in their place

If you've something to say then come right out with it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Donadea 10k - 42.44

The usual targets - earphone wearers, people heavier than me, anyone whose t-shirt I didn't like the look of :pac: - you can always find a reason why the person in front doesn't really deserve to be in front of you, and should be put back in their place :)

I do a similiar thing. Add to that list : people with a funny gait., people with too much clothes, people with GAA gear, especially Meath GAA gear:)

Congrats on a great run, I'm running 10k tomorrow, suspect the course is hilly, would be happy to go sub 44, eager to find out what shape I'm in.

26.98k in 2.38.19 (5.52 pace)

final big run of the P&D programme, 16 miles to follow yesterday's 10k. Legs were a bit creaky starting off today, but I was taking it easy and got into a groove soon enough. I had been thinking about doing this in Tymon, but that would have been too boring (and too flat) so I followed last week's tour of southside parks - through Bushy, up into Rathfarnham and up Grange Road to Marlay for a lap, ducked into Pearse Park for a short loop, stopped off at the shop around the corner from Woddle to get my water (and stand tapping my foot for five minutes as one customer bought half the shop and the next bought milk and the paper, both paying with credit cards :rolleyes:)
    Then downhill to Templeogue Bridge and into the Dodder valley park for a quick loop around the running club's usual trail and finally once around Tymon. Pace was about 6 min/k throughout (PMP +20%), sped up for the last 5k, did them around 5.20/k. Hips were getting stiff towards the end, but not such a bad run - though I did take it slow.

kmtd: 180.32

8.78k in 51.22 (5.51 pace)

Can't go to club tonight, should be able to go on Thursday, so just an easy run home. Still a bit stiff and creaky.

kmtd: 189.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

stopped off at the shop around the corner from Woddle to get my water (and stand tapping my foot for five minutes as one customer bought half the shop and the next bought milk and the paper, both paying with credit cards :rolleyes:)

You should have dripped sweat on their shoulder , that would have made them get a move on.

You should have dripped sweat on their shoulder , that would have made them get a move on.

I probably left a little puddle of sweat on the floor behind me all right.

8.55k in 48.05 (5.37 pace)

Didn't feel like I was going that 'fast', must watch my pace in the next week

kmtd: 197.65

Club session tonight, warmup, 6 x 400 (except the first one was longer), cooldown

2.24 (3.47 pace) - 630m
    1.15 (3.24)
    1.24 (3.46)
    1.17 (3.30)
    1.25 (3.47)
    1.17 (3.28)

Uphill and into the wind one way, downhill with the wind the other.

Last club session before the marathon? Probably...

kmtd: 203.65

• Advertisement

How are you feeling Ray, is the confidence up?

Advertisement