Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

10.06k in 48.14 (4.48 pace)

Easy run home from work, yet again...

August: 8/107.29
    this year: 212/2300.35

10.15k in 51.01 (5.01 pace)

What goes home must go into work again...

August: 9/117.44
    this year: 213/2310.5

4.64k in 30.27 (6.34 pace)

Recovery-pace jog around with the kid in the morning, followed by a trip up to Powerscourt waterfall in the afternoon, then in the evening...

4.44k in 25.00 (5.38 pace)

...jog up to the club for...

4.83k in 18.17 (3.47 pace)

internal club race. This is the second club race we've had, the first I've run in. This was the '5k' for the couch to 5k group this summer, so there were over 60 runners and a fair crowd of spectators. A handicapped race so the beginners went first in three groups, for estimated finish times of 35, 32, and 30 minutes and then the rest of the club runners at different intervals down to me and another guy, estimated at 18.15 :eek: (There are a few faster runners, but none of them were running)
    The course is pretty tough, two laps of Cherryfield park followed by a lap of the starting field, flat but mostly on grass. Myself and the kid beside me tore off at the start to get around a clump of beginners who were starting their second laps, and try to keep in sight of the guys who started just in front. First k was 3.45. Unfortunately at the end of the k we discovered that everyone was being sent the wrong way by a steward so we all had a bit of cross country to reckon with. (Two of the beginners went astray completely and ended up out on the road) Second k is mostly on path, and more or less downhill, so was 3.42. Dropped the guy who started with me along here and was closing on the guys in front. Second lap and third k I was really beginning to feel the pain, but finally started passing people properly (first lap I was passing people who were on their second). Pace was down to 3.52. Fourth k I was barely holding it together. 3.48 pace, and I caught up on the second guy who'd started right in front of me, but I had nothing left to pass him with. And he's an ex-sprinter, so my chances of out-kicking him on the final straight were... not brilliant:rolleyes: Anyway, into the last k and the lap of the field and I'm trying to hang on to the guy in front when galloping up beside me comes the young guy who'd started with me, he'd kept me in his sights for 2k and closed the gap in the last couple of minutes. We were neck and neck around two sides of the field, and sprinted the last 100m for the line in 15 seconds - eat that, Usain! Beat him over the line by a hair :)
    Followed by many pints, lots of food, speeches and presentations for the race winners and couch to 5k finishers over in the GAA clubhouse

4.64k in 30.27 (6.34 pace)

Hungover run with the kid this morning

August: 11/135.99
    this year: 215/2329.05

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done Ray, shame it wasn't the right length, would have been a new 5k PB?

If I could have kept going at that pace :), then yeah, just about
    I was very happy with it anyway, didn't expect to be anywhere near that fast in the conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Ray, super going. I was interrogated by P on Thursday in front of everyone as to my non participation :)

Too right, K! You should try to make the next one, it's great fun.:)

22.4k in 1.48.52 (4.52 pace)

Longish run around Tymon. Legs are still feeling a bit stiff and tired from Friday, but not too bad. I was in a hurry getting out this morning though, we were supposed to be going out immediately afterwards, and I forgot to put on Bodyglide :o - realised as soon as I got into the shower :eek:

August: 12/158.39
    this year: 216/2351.45

15.43k in 75.59 (4.55 pace)

Day off work, so went for a run up around Tymon again. Nothing eventful, and I realised at the end that I should really have gone a little shorter and finished with strides, would have been more useful than the few extra miles. Giving blood this evening so the next few days will be easy.

August: 13/173.82
    this year: 217/2366.88

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Stewarding issues seem to be at an all time high, quality must be slipping. Are you racing the Frank Duffy?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Stewarding issues seem to be at an all time high, quality must be slipping. Are you racing the Frank Duffy?

No, I was half thinking of stewarding :D but I've a wedding to go to that day. Might have a beach race out in Bettystown in a couple of weeks, then Sep 1st - BHAA mile, Sep 8 - BHAA 10k, Sep 15 - Dublin half, Sep 23 - Rathfarnham 5k.

• Advertisement

6.74k in 41.06 (6.06 pace)

Club session, up at the Speaker Connolly hill. No point me trying to push things today, so I took the beginners group (and the kid) around instead.

August: 14/180.56
    this year: 218/2373.62

9.63k in 51.18 (5.20 pace)

Very easy run home from work. Really taking today and tomorrow as easy as possible.

August: 15/190.19
    this year: 219/2383.25

9.57k in 51.34 (5.23 pace)

Slow jog back into work

and out for a jog with the kid and the club beginners group in the evening -3.86k @6.04 pace

August: 16/203.62
    this year: 220/2396.68

26.96k in 2.12.18 (4.54 pace)

Day off work and wedding tomorrow, so long run today. Getting a bit bored of Tymon (I know, when you're tired of Tymon park you're tired of life:rolleyes:) so went up to Phoenix Park for a change. About 5k to get there, then up Military, through the S-bends, and through the furry glen. Pace was fine throughout, so I seem to have recovered from the blood donation.
    From there I ran down Chesterfield to Wellington Road, and did another run through the lower end of the park. Top of the furry glen I looked at my watch - bugger! I was supposed to be doing a 24k run, and be home in about 30 minutes, but I was 18k into the run and more than 30 minutes from home :(. So the last 8/9k had to be done faster than planned, about 4.40/4.50 pace, and I got all of 2 minutes in the shower before rushing off to the cinema with the kids...

August: 17/230.58
    this year: 221/2423.64

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You couldn't manage the last fourty metres to bring it up to 27km?
    Lightweight! :)

Sat down in the cinema just as the film rating card came up - an extra 40m would have messed up my timing :)

6.16k in 35.25 (5.45 pace)

I was pretty tired after yesterday's run, and I want to be able to stay up later than my usual 10pm bedtime this evening:), so just a short recovery run...

August: 18/236.74
    this year: 222/2429.8

Rest day yesterday - the morning just didn't suit, and couldn't be arsed going out later. That ended my second running streak, of about 60 days...

11.26k in 54.57 (4.53 pace)

Off work again today. Plan was to do 10k (up to and around Tymon) then back to the little local park for 10x100 strides. Never felt comfortable on the run, and when I started on my first set of strides I felt sore immediately. Just stiffness around the upper thighs, but no point in trying the strides if I couldn't do them properly.

Fecking rest days:rolleyes:

August: 19/248
    this year: 223/2441.06

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey Ray,
    Training seems to be coming along very well for you.
    I was wondering if you did todays and Fridays runs at 4:54/4:55 what is the target race (A marathon I assume with the distance of Friday's run) and what is the target time (Pretty quick going by those paces)?

No, not a marathon, the Dublin half. Going for 85 minutes, about 4 minutes/km :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

RayCun wrote: »
    No, not a marathon, the Dublin half. Going for 85 minutes, about 4 minutes/km :eek:

Fair play, that will be a great time if you manage to pull it off!

So, you'll be easing back on the miles after September...?
    Might give me a chance to catch you up a bit in the race to 3,218kms!;)

Easing back? No way!
    :)
    September mileage might be a bit lower because I have a load of races on so won't be doing the Saturday long runs, and then we're into cross-country season, but I still want to keep the distances up to be ready for next year...

Easing back? No way!
    :)
    September mileage might be a bit lower because I have a load of races on so won't be doing the Saturday long runs, and then we're into cross-country season, but I still want to keep the distances up to be ready for next year...

Marathon next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm pacing 2 hrs if you blow up and need some company ;)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Marathon next year?

sub-3 in Amsterdam :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

sub 85 and 3hrs? feck! fair play

Haven't done them yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

ha I know,

but to be even considering the those times as targets is impressive.

sub-3 in Amsterdam :cool:

Savage, if you keep progressing as you are, you should nail it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

You running the FD 10 miler on Saturday Ray? Would be a good one for testing 1/2 marathon race pace and seeing where you are at.

Advertisement