Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

10.64k in 47.38 (4.29 pace)

Club training session - except most of the club were training somewhere else, but I had to stay in Cherryfield where the kid was training. There were a few others in the same boat, and a few new people along, so spent a while at the start settling people in, doing a slow warmup lap, and explaining a simple session. Anyway,

1.7k warmup
    Lap 1 - 1.69k - 6.20 (3.46 pace)
    Lap 2 - 1.7k - 6.28 (3.49 pace)
    Lap 3 - 1.7k - 6.32 (3.51 pace)
    Lap 4 - 1.7k - 6.31 (3.50 pace)
    3/400m jog recovery between each lap
    1k cooldown

Had intended to do 5 laps but ran out of time (and energy:))

Started out too fast on all of them, pace in the 3.30s before I worked it back down, but I suppose a few hundred metres at that pace on Saturday will do no harm.

September: 4/54.69
    this year: 238/2634.11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You missed a tough session up in stocking lane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jcsmum wrote: »

What's with your log these days? I am still waiting for the Oylegate report :rolleyes:

I guess you were getting sick of the imposters and hijackers....;)

Yeah, it was just too awkward with the kids still in Cherryfield. Ah well, plenty of sessions up there to look forward to over the winter...

8.65k in 49.06 (5.40 pace)

Very easy recovery run into work

September: 5/63.34
    this year: 238/2642.76

menoscemo wrote: »
    What's with your log these days? I am still waiting for the Oylegate report :rolleyes:

I guess you were getting sick of the imposters and hijackers....;)

You make it sound like a criminal investigation :D

• Advertisement

You make it sound like a criminal investigation :D

oops, just saw it now :o

I realise I must have actually been working for the last week or so because I have managed to miss your updates.

Good running of late form you...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Oh come on you're just making it easy now. Too many evenings reading 50 Shades methinks!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Too many evenings reading 50 Shades methinks
    rofl - cue tea on keyboard :)

Good to see you kids in the provincial clubs getting on so well ;)

Hey - we're still inside the pale M50!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Oh come on you're just making it easy now. Too many evenings reading 50 Shades methinks!;)

I don't need to read it :p

• Advertisement

rofl - cue tea on keyboard :)

Good to see you kids in the provincial clubs getting on so well ;)

Thanks 'grandpa' :)

8.82k in 44.56 (5.06 pace)

Another very easy run, home from work. Was thinking of finishing with some strides but didn't bother in the end. Mini-taper for Saturday :pac:

Then 3k with the kids at training. Millions of them there tonight :eek:

September: 6/74.16
    this year: 239/2653.58

8.7k in 46.22 (5.19 pace)

Didn't sleep great last night, so a bit tired and heavy-legged this morning. Happy to take it very easy anyway.

September: 7/82.86
    this year: 240/2662.28

Looked out the window this morning and saw Irish summer - grey and overcast.
    But by the time I left for the race, it had turned into Irish September - blue skies and heat :rolleyes:.

Got up to Firhouse early enough, registered, and went out for a bit of a walk on the route. Bumped into AJCOT and Aimman, so went out for a bit of a warmup jog with them. Didn't feel I needed it really, it was a warm day and I felt loose, so only went for 2k. Bumped into ecoli too, looking ready to get some revenge on the roads.

10.03k in 38.08 (3.48 pace) (38.07 chip time)

Numbers were a bit small for this race, less than 200 people, though it might be for the best since the roads weren't closed. For once I started near the start (there wasn't a start line marked, but as I stood near the van waiting to find out where we were starting from people started lining up behind and beside me, so I ended up at the front almost by accident:))
    First 500m were spent getting off the back road and onto a main road, and the race was spread out before we were halfway there. Onto the main route and straight into a downhill, first k was the bottom of the hill. 3.32 was way too fast, but okay on a downhill, right? Turned the corner and onto the Firhouse Road. This is where you pay for the downhill, it's a long straight uphill drag, and always into the wind. About halfway along the road I realised I was faced with one of those choices the better runners talk about in their logs. I could stick with the guy just in front of me and probably come in under 39, a decent PB. Or I could follow the guys just in front of him, who'd just passed us by and were inching away, and go for my 38.30 target time. ****ing better runners and their ****ing logs - I must stop reading them:rolleyes:.
    So the next few km were spent hanging on to the back of this group of 2/3 guys - 2k in 3.44, 3k 3.54, 4k (finally off the Firhouse road) in 3.47, and back to the 5k marker in 3.48. First 5k in 18.44, a new PB, but this was where the pain really started. Hit the downhill section again, but the guys in front were starting to move away and I couldn't keep up. The gap was only a few metres as we turned onto the Firhouse Road - 6k in 3.41 because of the downhill - but I couldn't stop it growing. Halfway down the road I look at my watch, lap pace is 4.06, look at the guys about 10m in front, and I think I've blown it, gone out too hard in the first half and now I've nothing left. Start doing calculations in my head - how much can I slow down in the next few k and still get 38.30? The answers seem crazy so I ignore them and just try to keep running.
    Around 7k (3.59) the guys up ahead catch another runner, a guy in a Rathfarnham top who is also slowing down. Right, he's having a worse time than me, he'll be my target. Slowly start to make up the distance on him (and stop losing ground on the other guys by the time we turn off Firhouse Road). 8k 4.01 Around 8.5k I catch up with the Rathfarnham guy, but he puts in a burst to hold on to his place. 9k in 3.51. Catch the Rathfarnham guy again, and this time he has nothing left, I can put some distance between us at a corner. Last k flys by - I feel knackered but also know I can make it in for a massive PB - stop my watch on 38.08, more than a minute off my PB :D

September: 8/94.92
    this year: 241/2674.34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Congrats on the PB man.You are going from strength to strength and to PB by that amount on that course with that heat is easily worth another good chunk off that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I seem to have lost my ability to thank posts. :confused: Anyway, cracking run Ray, that's really upped the stakes, looking good for the 1/2 next week, hopefully we can have a good race. :cool:

Edit: fixed now!

Outstanding run Ray, surely your best ever?

Going by that you'll obliterate my HM time next weekend, I make have to employ a sniper on the course :D

Seriously though, sub 1:25 looks very feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Think you're now one of the "better runners" - congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Think you're now one of the "better runners" - congrats!

+ 1. Fantastic result, very well deserved.

Wow Ray, amazing again. Jack said he saw you running and that you were really fast.

Some day I will sign for this run as it practically passes by my door. Don't like the course though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done Ray, that was a good chunk off the PB. I cant use the heat as an excuse for not getting a PB today now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Aimman wrote: »
    I cant use the heat as an excuse for not getting a PB today now :o

use the cake:D smack down in 14 hrs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cracking stuff Ray. Completely jealous of how far you've come this year - the improvements you've made are incredible. Well and truely oap'd now - will you be my new coach? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congratulations on smashing your PB!! Awesome job today! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Brilliant progress Ray, keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Cracking stuff Ray. Completely jealous of how far you've come this year - the improvements you've made are incredible. Well and truely oap'd now - will you be my new coach? :pac:

It's all down to the paleo dinners his missus makes him I tell ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Smashing stuff Ray, excellent PB

It's all down to the paleo dinners his missus makes him I tell ya :)

I still get my bread and spuds :pac:
    but I was down to (just) under 10 stone when I weighed myself yesterday. I'm starting to think about what food to add to my diet rather than taking stuff away. hmm, craft beers and iron tablets...?

6.37k in 37.10 (5.50 pace)

Sore and slow recovery run this morning.

September: 9/101.29
    this year: 242/2680.71

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fantastic running Ray and a super PB. There's a bit more there I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Ray, fantastic time. :)

Advertisement