Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck tomorrow Ray :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pconn062 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow Ray, hopefully see you there somewhere (preferably just behind me at the finish line! ;)).

I'm sure we'll see each other out there alright - and I know I need to have a big gap on you in the last mile or I'm screwed :pac:
    claralara wrote: »

must beat 87 minutes...must beat 87 minutes... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Best of luck Ray, hope you do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck tomorrow Ray, you're in flying form so no bother to you!!! See you in Ryans after...keep me a seat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    RayCun wrote: »
    must beat 87 minutes...must beat 87 minutes... ;)

:D

It has to be without breaking sweat and ready to go round again :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

And he's done! 1:24:29!! Brilliant time, thrilled for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Savage time Ray....again! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Well done. Not easiest of course although not the worst either. Puts in in the ballpark for sub 3. Head down now and a bit of tunnel vision will get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yea, well done Ray. You're really upping the ante these days. Sub 3 would definitely seem on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I saw you finishing, well done. I'd be looking at a sub 3hr marathon if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

That a boy Ray, your the fastest mod going:D Savage going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great stuff Ray. Never in doubt.

Dublin half marathon (chip time 1.24.29)

Was running late this morning - a few minutes late leaving the house, a few minutes longer on the LUAS than expected, a few minutes slower walking up the park than I thought... so at twenty to ten I was just passing the polo grounds... Clothes off, jogged up to bag drop, and had only a couple of minutes to chat to clubmates before jumping into the pen. Quick hello to Krusty and Surewhynot, then ran up to the start of the pen - which was closer than I expected, so I ended up in the third row.
    A couple of Mexican waves and we were off. I've never started this far forward in the race series before, and it's a whole different experience :pac: There were some people to pass alright, but no crush.
    First couple of k were fast, steward called 5.55 to 6.00 at the first mile marker, but that was to be expected. A bit of a group was forming in front of me, but I spent more time watching my watch, 3.50 to 4.00 was fine, but every now and again it would be something over 4.00, especially on that stretch of the North road back towards Chesterfield, bit of wind there. Running into Farmleigh was nice, good to do a different part of the park, and as I passed the gates I realised I was running faster than I did in the Rathfarnham 5k last year, faster than I'd run in the K Club 10k in April... naturally I looked at my watch a minute later to see 4.16 pace - not the time to be resting on laurels :rolleyes:
    Another nice section outside the park, and as we came back in I opened a gel. Don't know if it did any good but I've never had stomach problems from them so no harm anyway. Another wave for Mr Slow and a shout for the 1.50 pacers, then we turned on to Chesterfield. Stepped off the road at the water station to have a proper cup of water then off again. From this point on in the race (or even from earlier) I was being passed by ones and twos of people. My pace wasn't dropping, or not by more than a second or two per k, but other people had obviously paced it better. A bit annoying and disheartening, but I was still watching the Garmin, wasn't going to get into a race this far out.
    The last few miles were tough. Into the wind on Conyngham road, and then onto the hills. I was watching the average pace, still at about 3.56 when we left the park so I knew I could drop about a minute on the hills . I was really tired at this point, thighs getting stiff, so I could make it up the hills at a decent pace but couldn't accelerate on the downhills, the speed just wasn't coming back. 20k and 21k were 4.22 and 4.03, so slow enough, but it got me around...

September: 15/177.99
    this year: 248/2757.41

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Cracking run ray, you nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Ray, great time. Great catching up with you in Ryans!!

chinguetti wrote: »

:pac: Think robinph and ecoli (76.xx today!) would have something to say about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

chinguetti wrote: »
    RayCun wrote: »
    :pac: Think robinph and ecoli (76.xx today!) would have something to say about that!

At the rate you are going man its only a matter of time.

Fair play today another PB in the bag seems to becoming a regular habit these days

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Brilliant running Ray. You're going from strength to strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Brilliant running ray - reward for all the hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

That was some run you did today you must be pretty happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Awesome progress Ray, keep going to who knows where?!?

(Nice to meet you briefly today)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Outstanding ray, your really getting to the sharp end of things now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Well done Ray - I have to admire your patience and discipline waiting until next year for a crack at the Sub 3 but your methods are certainly paying off - great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Just echoing all the comments above. Super stuff.
    Tthe quality of your training and racing over the shorter distances is paying off in spades

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice one Ray - I'm looking over my shoulder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fantastic race Ray, everyone was talking about you yesterday at the 5k!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Brilliant time Ray. Your improvements over the past 18 months have been awesome. Well done.

Saturday after the race my legs were wrecked. Couldn't hang around at the end for other clubmates because they were turning into solid blocks, couldn't even think of a warmdown, had to hobble very, very slowly to the pub :o

Sunday I would have gone for a jog, but the kid had a cross-country race so there wasn't really time. (He came 5th of 26 :D starting slow and moving through the field like a pro :))

10.13 in 51.21 (5.04 pace)

So today was my first run. A bit stiff, muscles aching a bit, but not too bad...

September: 16/188.12
    this year: 249/2767.54

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

Well done Ray. Amazing time. You plug away tirelessly so it's more than well deserved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well done Ray. Amazing time. You plug away tirelessly so it's more than well deserved!

+1, delighted for you Ray, great to meet you on Saturday

Advertisement