Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Welcome to the world of club XC races, it's a different kettle of fish, but you'll fly up that learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JC_DUB5

Any idea what the total number of the Novice mens field was today?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

101- results are up on DAB site now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great running Ray. For the record, the guy I was telling you was aiming for sub 5 1500m during the summer, think he got it in the end, was a fair bit behind you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

It really is a different type of running, I suspect my pattern followed yours accept I started slower and finished slower again, well, apart from my sprint finish ;) Good fun though once you get some air back into the lungs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »
    It really is a different type of running, I suspect my pattern followed yours accept I started slower and finished slower again, well, apart from my sprint finish ;) Good fun though once you get some air back into the lungs :)

A, it was great seeing you creep up the field with every lap. Nice sprint finish too at the end. :D

Well done Ray, sorry it wasn't the race you hoped for, but you looked pretty comfortable to us on the sidelines.

Are you running the Masters in Avondale?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Are you running the Masters in Avondale?

hmmm, probably not - I've a coaching course the day before, and I'll be watching DCM from the sidelines the day after, so I think I'll be earning brownie points on the Sunday. And it's a long way to go to get my arse kicked again :)
    Can you enter on the day?

RayCun wrote: »
    hmmm, probably not - I've a coaching course the day before, and I'll be watching DCM from the sidelines the day after, so I think I'll be earning brownie points on the Sunday. And it's a long way to go to get my arse kicked again :)
    Can you enter on the day?

Closing date is Oct 22nd and need to be entered on the official form and sent with a chq to AL in Navan.

Closing date is Oct 22nd and need to be entered on the official form and sent with a chq to AL in Navan.

Ah, no way then. I don't know if I'm sorry or relieved :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Same race as Leinster novice is it?

Same race as Leinster novice is it?

Same day, races are run separately

Ah, no way then. I don't know if I'm sorry or relieved :pac:

No smack down so ;)

No smack down so ;)

Again, not sure if I'm sorry or relieved :D
    It's a pity though, the way XC season clashes with autumn marathon season. Hard to do both properly, and the lure of the marathon must be thinning the XC field.

10.1k @ 4.55 pace today. No after-effects from yesterday's race, just a bit of tiredness.

This log is going to get very boring over the next few weeks - I've just finished Daniels' book and I'm going to give his training plan a go. Target race is the national 10k, about 6 months away, so the next 6-8 weeks will be boring, boring base-building. 2 weeks of 10k easy runs every day/twice a day, then add a longer run at the same pace, and then extend all the runs by 1 or 2k. I don't even have any races planned to break the monotony :rolleyes:

I still haven't decided what to do next autumn. National half marathon, sure, but a marathon? :confused::confused::confused: At least neither Amsterdam nor Dublin fills up early...

October: 14/167.57
    this year: 276/3074.81

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I still haven't decided what to do next autumn. National half marathon, sure, but a marathon? :confused::confused::confused: At least neither Amsterdam nor Dublin fills up early...

The cool folks are considering Berlin....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Mr Slow wrote: »

Thinking either Berlin or Chicago myself...more so the latter but not fully decided yet. Who else is going for Berlin??

Berlin is on the list alright, but I'd have to book now and I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

This log is going to get very boring over the next few weeks - I've just finished Daniels' book and I'm going to give his training plan a go. Target race is the national 10k, about 6 months away, so the next 6-8 weeks will be boring, boring base-building. 2 weeks of 10k easy runs every day/twice a day, then add a longer run at the same pace, and then extend all the runs by 1 or 2k. I don't even have any races planned to break the monotony :rolleyes:

October: 14/167.57
    this year: 276/3074.81

I have the same plan Ray, starting Daniels 5-15k plan with an aim to peak around April next year (maybe the K club 10k). I had considered skipping the base building phase as my mileage is already fairly steady and starting with Phase 2 in the first week of December. I would have thought with your mileage and training from the Dublin Half would have meant you could skip straight to Phase 2 as well? Or do you feel there are other advantages to the base building phase?

belcarra wrote: »
    Thinking either Berlin or Chicago myself...more so the latter but not fully decided yet. Who else is going for Berlin??

Woddle :)

pconn062 wrote: »
    I have the same plan Ray, starting Daniels 5-15k plan with an aim to peak around April next year (maybe the K club 10k). I had considered skipping the base building phase as my mileage is already fairly steady and starting with Phase 2 in the first week of December. I would have thought with your mileage and training from the Dublin Half would have meant you could skip straight to Phase 2 as well? Or do you feel there are other advantages to the base building phase?

I want to increase the mileage a bit more - a few weeks at 90k, then 100k, then 110k, and establish that as the new baseline for the spring. Maybe try to build in some core work while I'm at it, get a good habit established.
    There might be a bit of mental fatigue too. I'm not rushing to get out and try these new speed sessions, but maybe in a few weeks I will be. (Driven to them by boredom with easy runs :))
    And the final thing is it'll give me time to get the club sessions going up in Tallaght (and take my assistant and level 1 courses), and get a group together to do the Phase 2 reps on the track.

Daniels does seem keen on taking a couple of weeks completely off between training plans, and that's not going to happen :), but an extended foundation phase should have the same benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

And the final thing is it'll give me time to get the club sessions going up in Tallaght (and take my assistant and level 1 courses), and get a group together to do the Phase 2 reps on the track.

Are you switching clubs?:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you switching clubs?:D

We decided it was a crying shame to see that track so neglected, might as well be used for dogwalking :p so Bros Pearse take it in hand on Saturday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I want to increase the mileage a bit more - a few weeks at 90k, then 100k, then 110k, and establish that as the new baseline for the spring. Maybe try to build in some core work while I'm at it, get a good habit established.
    There might be a bit of mental fatigue too. I'm not rushing to get out and try these new speed sessions, but maybe in a few weeks I will be. (Driven to them by boredom with easy runs :))

Daniels does seem keen on taking a couple of weeks completely off between training plans, and that's not going to happen :), but an extended foundation phase should have the same benefits.

Sounds like a good idea. My plan was to keep ticking over the way I am now with 1 or 2 sessions a week and try to slowly increase the mileage to prepare me for the strenuous sessions in December. I had also intended on throwing in a few races between now and December. Yours is probably a more sensible plan :), will be interesting to follow either way.

There's a bit of a hole in the race calendar after DCM, unless I do the Dublin Intermediates. I don't know if I'd be able to persuade a team out for that one. (I don't even know if I could persuade myself to do it :) ) After that though, there's BHAA races, the Dublin Masters XC in January, Raheny 5, the MSB 5k, maybe Ballycotton? so I'll be kept busy.

10.14 @ 5.00 this morning. Another easy run, interrupted by a lot of traffic lights.

October: 15/177.71
    this year: 277/3084.95

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

After that though, there's BHAA races, the Dublin Masters XC in January, Raheny 5, the MSB 5k, maybe Ballycotton? so I'll be kept busy.

You do realise Ballycotton is nowhere near Dublin yeah? :D

You do realise Ballycotton is nowhere near Dublin yeah? :D

So that's why I couldn't find it on my map! :eek:

(if I go, it'll be a club trip and drinking session)

So that's why I couldn't find it on my map! :eek:

(if I go, it'll be a club trip and drinking session)

If I was ar5ed I'd go back and pull out all of your 'I don't race beyond The Pale' comments :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Look at New York maybe and do it thru the marathon travel company??

Look at New York maybe and do it thru the marathon travel company??

€2,000+? :eek:

• Advertisement

€2,000+? :eek:

Yeah, feck that.

Just air fare and accommodation would make a US marathon too pricey, but if I was going to do New York I'd qualify for it, not pay for a guaranteed entry.

Advertisement