Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, feck that.

Just air fare and accommodation would make a US marathon too pricey, but if I was going to do New York I'd qualify for it, not pay for a guaranteed entry.

I think I'll go stateside for a race when I holiday there when the kids are older, tick a few boxes. Man up and go for Berlin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

but if I was going to do New York I'd qualify for it, not pay for a guaranteed entry.

They have really tightened up the qualifying times for that.
    Sub 2:45 marathon :eek:
    http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/Guaranteed_Entry_Guidelines.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »

Sub 2:50 :)
    (or a sub 83 half)

menoscemo wrote: »
    http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/Guaranteed_Entry_Guidelines.htm

2:50 for Ray :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mr Slow wrote: »
    2:50 for Ray :)

I thought the entry fee was the same for qualify time and normal entry?

• Advertisement

I think I'll go stateside for a race when I holiday there when the kids are older, tick a few boxes. Man up and go for Berlin!

I just not going to bring the kids with me. Its a break for the wife and I. Promised I get her a grandstand seat at finish line and let her shop after that!! Things i do :)

I thought the entry fee was the same for qualify time and normal entry?

The entry fee is expensive alright, $350. Another reason not to do it, tbh. But surely if you pay for a package from a marathon travel company you are paying a premium?

Sub 2:50 :)
    (or a sub 83 half)

Actually you should get the sub 83 easily enough...

The entry fee is expensive alright, $350. Another reason not to do it, tbh. But surely if you pay for a package from a marathon travel company you are paying a premium?

Not too sure. But i asked for the packages prices from marathon travel and their deal would be hard to match if you make your way over? Maybe someone else can shed a light on this?

I have a entry on the lottery for next year so that will be deducted from my package! I know more next year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So that's why I couldn't find it on my map! :eek:

(if I go, it'll be a club trip and drinking session)

Savage. Beers are on Ray in Ballycotton. :cool:

• Advertisement

Maybe someone else can shed a light on this?

Belcarra did it last year.
    I just not going to bring the kids with me. Its a break for the wife and I. Promised I get her a grandstand seat at finish line and let her shop after that!! Things i do :)

Unfortunately, we've no family to look after them:o just have to drag the little monsters with us everywhere we go. ;)

Belcarra did it last year.

Unfortunately, we've no family to look after them:o just have to drag the little monsters with us everywhere we go. ;)

I'd disown my relatives if they were from Limerick too.

I'd disown my relatives if they were from Limerick too.

Again from the Ballyer head! :rolleyes:

Again from the Ballyer head! :rolleyes:

I have no relatives from Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not too sure. But i asked for the packages prices from marathon travel and their deal would be hard to match if you make your way over? Maybe someone else can shed a light on this?

I have a entry on the lottery for next year so that will be deducted from my package! I know more next year.

One of the UK-based sports travel agencies had a package with flights ex London and guaranteed entry for £999 - if you had friends or cheap accomodation over there it wouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I have a guaranteed entry for NYCM 2013 i'm almost certainly not gonna use, nudge nudge ;)

Come to think of it i have an entry for London 2013 i'm not gonna use either :rolleyes:

Come to think of it i have an entry for London 2013 i'm not gonna use either :rolleyes:

But I am ;)
    I should hopefully be able to get you a Qualifying time for 2014 out of it...

Is this number-swapping on the moderator's own log? :eek::mad::rolleyes:

Is this number-swapping on the moderator's own log? :eek::mad::rolleyes:

I am gonna report you to the admins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

€2,000+? :eek:

I did it last year through the Irish Cancer Society.
    Had to raise €4,000 of which I was told approx €2,000 went towards the participant's (i.e. my) costs, so I funded this amount myself and raised the net €2,000 through friends directly for the ICS.

Hotels are mad expensive in NYC and even more so for the marathon weekend. Also the cost of entry is about €200-€250. Then including the flights, etc. there isn't much change left from 2k.

Unfortunately, it's an expensive one to do any way you look at it really.

• Advertisement

Don't we all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Ray you have made some progress in the last 2 1/2 years, Fair play to you :)

belcarra wrote: »
    I did it last year through the Irish Cancer Society.
    Had to raise €4,000 of which I was told approx €2,000 went towards the participant's (i.e. my) costs, so I funded this amount myself and raised the net €2,000 through friends directly for the ICS.

Hotels are mad expensive in NYC and even more so for the marathon weekend. Also the cost of entry is about €200-€250. Then including the flights, etc. there isn't much change left from 2k.

Unfortunately, it's an expensive one to do any way you look at it really.

I be doing it for Cancer next year too, as lost my mum a few weeks after Dublin marathon last year. Always told her i do it for the charity, thought she would of saw it, but not to be.

10.09 @ 4.45 easy run home. Knees a bit stiff afterwards

October: 15/187.8
    this year: 277/3095.04

10.22 @ 4.55 easy run in. Must have been some rain last night, the path along the Dodder by the Dropping Well is flooded. Lots of big puddles around the duck pond in Bushy Park too. I thought I was clever doing 'high knees' down one side of the pond, I stayed reasonably dry, but on the other side the water was over my ankles...

October: 16/198.02
    this year: 278/3105.26

10.14 @ 4.48 easy run home

October: 17/208.16
    this year: 279/3115.4

11.18 @ 4.58 Club session. I just did an easy run while the others were doing tempos, so my pace was all over the place, up and down depending on who I was running with at the time.
    Figured out how to structure my runs and commutes so I won't be doing this thing of two runs 90 minutes apart any more.

October: 17/219.34
    this year: 279/3126.58

10.14 @ 5.24
    slow one this morning, legs tired and aching from yesterday

October: 18/229.48
    this year: 280/3136.72

10.97 @ 4.37
    up to Tymon and around the mud. Then up to Tallaght for the kid to train and me help out a bit - they did some long jump today. Lovely day out there...

October: 19/240.45
    this year: 281/3147.69

• Advertisement

10.28 @ 4.39
    up to Tymon again. Last XC league race for the kid, but unfortunately he picked up some kind of muscle strain yesterday, was limping around the place last night and this morning. It cleared up a bit before the race but he still wasn't quite right, and was disappointed with his 8th place finish:(
    Still, I think he'll be about 4th overall in the league so he'll be pleased when that comes through...

October: 20/250.73
    this year: 282/3157.97

Advertisement