Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

RayCun wrote: »
    Just got a call from the blood centre, my hemoglobin level in yesterday's donation was down to 13.4, below their accepted minimum of 13.5. So no more donations for me for another 3 months, and a lot of liver and cabbage in my future...

No more blood doping you mean :D

Will be watching to see if your race performances dip ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

So the paleo diet isn't all its cracked up to be then?!

I don't think I'm missing out on iron by not eating bread :)

I was feeling hungry last week anyway, and looking for where I could add more food to my diet. Any healthy food to avoid the temptation of the vending machine. So I started bringing in a load of cheese and ham - the ham should be good for iron - and I'll start bringing in nuts too.
    No more blood doping you mean :D
    Will be watching to see if your race performances dip ;)

What do you mean no more blood doping?

I'm going to up the dosage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

and a lot of liver and cabbage in my future...

I find liver in a jam jar works best :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

We have a set :)
    PaleOH bought them recently

• Advertisement

12th to 18th November -

Monday
    Short run in the evening (going in to give blood), carrying a bag
    6.57 in 37.57 (5.46)

Tuesday
    _Very_ slow run into work in morning (with bag) 8.64 in 48.54 (5.40)
    6x800 in the evening. All quite slow - didn't have the rabbit to chase, she pulled out with a sore hamstring, and the usual effort wasn't giving me the usual pace - fastest was 2.55, and one rep was 3.02 :o
    7.72 in 36.18 (4.42)

Wed
    Longish run in the evening
    14.5 in 70.18 (4.51)

Thurs
    Very slow again in the morning, with a bag
    8.64 in 50.30 (5.51)
    Easy run home from work
    9.23 in 50.40 (5.29 pace)

Friday
    Slow run into work
    8.71 in 47.09 (5.25)

Saturday
    The last day of coaching training. We did walks on Friday evening which... let's just say my opinion of racewalking wasn't changed. Saturday we had javelin - which the kids will love, but will give coaches heart attacks - and discus. Discus took me ages to get the hang of, but I finally got to the point where I could release properly and get a good flat spin. I could throw a shot further :rolleyes:, but that was progress from my starting attempts. Anyway, now I have my piece of paper to wave around, and a notebook full of things to plague the club about. Next Saturday I'll be training the adult runners in track and field, should be fun...

Easy run over to Donore in the morning 5.8 in 28.20 (4.53)
    At lunchtime 10 minutes warmup, 10 minutes hill repeats, 10 minutes cooldown. This time I did 200m fast up the Kyber, 100m walk/jog recovery down, I think I fit in 8 uphill runs.
    Then run back home from Donore
    Garmin seems to have messed these up... 6.43km in 66.52 minutes?

Sunday
    Long run, through the mud again, but just Marathon Talk to keep me company today
    21.51 in 1.43.36 (4.49)

97.76 km for the week (I'm not going to argue about the run on Saturday the Garmin missed:) )

November: 18/279.23
    this year: 310/3564.03

19th to 25th November -

Monday
    Working in a different office this week, so instead of running in and out of work I was up at 6am for my runs. Lots of fun:rolleyes:
    13.03 in 66.25 (5.06)
    20 minutes core in the evening

Tuesday
    Recovery 30 minutes in the morning 5.06 in 29.36 (5.51)
    6x800 in the evening. This was my best paced set I think - 2.51 for the fastest, 2.55 for the slowest, no real drop-off in the last reps
    7.57 in 35.09 (4.39)

Wed
    Another long morning run
    13.98 in 70.20 (5.02)
    and 20 minutes core

Thurs
    and the last 6am run, just a recovery
    5.21 in 30.51 (5.55)
    coaching and a coaching meeting ate the evening

Friday
    back to the usual office, so I celebrated by running in and home
    8.82 in 45.18 (5.08)
    8.76 in 45.14 (5.10)
    20 minutes core

Saturday
    Got a proper hill session in this morning. 20 minutes jog over to the telephone mast in Tymon, 15 runs up to the top of the hill (more or less 200m) with a walk/jog back recovery (walk about 60m, jog the rest of the way), and jog home. Felt good doing this. Last time I was on the grass but it was too slippy this morning with the frost so I stuck to the path.
    14.64 in 76.07 (5.12)
    Then up to Tallaght for some coaching. The long jump pit was unusable so my carefully-written up plan had to be scrapped:pac: but we had some fun with sprints and the training hurdles.
    Recovery run in the evening
    4.86 in 28.05 (5.47)

Sunday
    Long run through the Tymon mud again. Lots of mud on the back of my legs and they're as smooth as a baby's bottom (while the rest of me is a wrinkled old arse :D) Pretty slow today, but I'm putting that down to the frost :)
    21.86 in 1.48.23 (4.58)

103.78 km for the week

November: 25/383.01
    this year: 315/3667.81

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hurdles?? Did you mention training hurdles?? If they are over bales of hay, I'm there!! ;)

Your coaching/coaching training sounds like a blast! :D

No, just these yokeys
    s-e-training-hurdles-12-inch-32926-3108_related.jpg

I don't know if Tallaght would appreciate us putting bales of hay on their track :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I don't know if Tallaght would appreciate us putting bales of hay on their track :)

Some of us don't appreciate you being there at all :mad:

• Advertisement

Don't worry - maybe if you guys train very hard, you'll be fast enough to join in ;)

No, just these yokeys
    s-e-training-hurdles-12-inch-32926-3108_related.jpg

Those are hurdles??? Just how small are these people you are training??? Jackyback size?? :confused::eek:;):)

Training hurdles :)
    To get people to lift their knees as they run.

Training hurdles :)
    To get people to lift their knees as they run.

Ohhhhh. :o

Don't worry - maybe if you guys train very hard, you'll be fast enough to join in ;)

:rolleyes:
    Maybe I will get the 'boys' to examine your cars next week. That'll learn you to be breaking into our track :)

Break in?
    Clear the tumbleweed from lanes 2-8, uproot the weeds growing in the throwing circle, clear out the small animals living in the long jump pit... show that track some proper athletic appreciation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Break in?
    Clear the tumbleweed from lanes 2-8, uproot the weeds growing in the throwing circle, clear out the small animals living in the long jump pit... show that track some proper athletic appreciation :D

...don't forget to feed the alligator living in the fetid water by the steeplechase now. He gets very hungry in the off season.

...don't forget to feed the alligator living in the fetid water by the steeplechase now. He gets very hungry in the off season.

we put Bitey out watching the cars. He did look quite full when we finished...

we put Bitey out watching the cars. He did look quite full when we finished...

Bitey is friends with all the locals.
    He must have ate one of your crew.

Not much meat on us ;)
    Must have been someone from the gym :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was meant to do that coaching course myself. Rage I missed it. Was it good? Worth doing next time?

Was meant to do that coaching course myself. Rage I missed it. Was it good? Worth doing next time?

Great course, I learned a lot from it. Have you done the Assistant Coach course already? That's worth doing too.
    But... if you're doing them to learn more about distance running, they're completely pointless. We did one session on 'endurance and walks', the practical bit was walks, the endurance running stuff was theory that you'd already know backwards. The assumption is that (for level 1) you'll be coaching 10-12 year olds, and you'll be coaching them in everything. For that, it's great.

Great course, I learned a lot from it. Have you done the Assistant Coach course already? That's worth doing too.
    But... if you're doing them to learn more about distance running, they're completely pointless. We did one session on 'endurance and walks', the practical bit was walks, the endurance running stuff was theory that you'd already know backwards. The assumption is that (for level 1) you'll be coaching 10-12 year olds, and you'll be coaching them in everything. For that, it's great.

Nah it's for coaching alright. Had been looking forward to it but it was either that or a piss up in nenagh. I'm young, I opted for the piss up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Nah it's for coaching alright. Had been looking forward to it but it was either that or a piss up in nenagh. I'm young, I opted for the piss up. :)

Not that young.....anymore :P

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Not that young.....anymore :P

What age are you again? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What age are you again? :mad:
    I'm young, I opted for the piss up. :)

I didn't profess to be young :P, it's time to let it go M, 30 is thundering down the road looking for you.:)

26th November - 1st December

Monday
    Sunday night my daughter started vomiting when she went to bed, kept going through the night. So she spent the night in our bed and kept the OH awake while I slept in her bed and had a slightly better night. Still zombie-like for the 11.99 in 59.25 (4.57) home from work
    20 minutes core in the evening

Tuesday
    Recovery in the morning 8.4 in 48.15 (5.45)
    12x400 in the evening. Joined in late on the first run, no recovery for the second, after that it was 76 on the uphills, 82 on the downs, 1 minute recovery between most reps but 2 (or 3?) between 6 and 7. This wasn't with the usual coach, which is why the pace/recoveries were a bit crazy, but stayed consistent to the end.
    10.83 in 47.55 (4.26)

Wed
    Tuesday evening it was the boy's turn. He stayed in his own bed, and again OH did most of the work, but still not a great night's sleep
    15.34 in 76.29 (4.59) home from work
    and 20 minutes core

Thurs
    recovery in the morning 8.63 in 51.03 (5.55)
    and a run home 9.92 in 48.51 (4.56)

Friday
    8.72 in 43.17 (4.58)
    20 minutes core

Saturday
    Same hill session as last week, but I blew the pacing this time. Flew up the hill on the first few reps, died slowly in the second half.
    14.77 in 78.49 (5.20)
    Coaching in Tallaght, club party in the evening, got home at 2am and...

Sunday
    ...up at 7, running at 8, but so dazed it took me a mile to notice I hadn't started my watch:rolleyes: Had to cut the run short to head out for the day
    16.02 in 76.16 (4.46)
    Pace was surprisingly okay, especially since I've been a bit slow this week, but I don't think I'd have kept it up another 30 minutes

104.63 km for the week

Month|2010|2011|2012
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79
    March|53.2|121.83|214
    April|72|106.33|201.18
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21
    August|124.4|168|240.27
    September|154|171.75|203.69
    October|108.7|191.2|229
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87
    December|83|166.58|
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|

December: 2/30.79
    this year: 322/3772.44

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ahem, you forgot to mention your prestigious award........

Brothers pearse most improved athlete 2012.

Well deserved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ahem, you forgot to mention your prestigious award........

Brothers pearse most improved athlete 2012.

Well deserved!

****e to average. Well done Ray.

Ha ha ha.

• Advertisement

Congratulations on your shiny award!!!! :)

Advertisement