Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

rest of week 2
    Friday
    PM 6.4k @ 6:00 (AHR 138)
    quick but slow jog before heading out to the Indoors for the relays (I was there until after 11, the last race was after midnight)

Saturday
    3k easy (5:46, 5:08, 4:59) (AHR 154)
    3k steady (4:35, 4:25, 4:34) (AHR 156)
    3k MP (4:06, 4:12, 4:07) (AHR 165)
    and then about 3k easy home
    up at 6.30 to do this, so getting up to speed was an effort, maintaining was okay. Ran a fairly flat loop in Tymon but, like any route in there, there's a drag up one way and back down again.

Sunday
    20k @ 4:51 (AHR 146)
    Another early start, up at 6 this time. Up to Phoenix Park as usual, but too dark for the Glen roads and trails, so I ran up to the main gates and from there up and down Chesterfield (on the pedestrian path, naturally!) Dark running up, and I was half asleep so nearly ran into a herd of deer up near Furze Road, but the sky was bright as I came back down.

104.8k for the week

racing calendar update...
    I'm doing the Level 2 course this year, which rules out some weekends, including the road relays :(

so I'll be doing
    March 26 Dunboyne 4 mile
    April 17 Clontarf 10 mile
    April 30 Tallaght 5k
    May 14 Terenure 5 mile
    June 10 Bohermeen 5k
    June 24 Dunshaughlin 10k

... assuming I make it that far in one piece :)

week 3 so far

tired...

Monday
    AM 7.5k @ 6:34 (AHR 136)
    PM 6.4k @ 6:43 (131)

The kid had a disappointing run on Sunday in the indoors, and wants to train more for the summer championships (although I think we're on holiday then - ssshhhh). So on non-training days he's coming out with me in the morning for a Kenyan shuffle, 2.6k very slow and easy down to a local park and back

Tuesday
    AM 2.6k @ 7:01 (137)
    PM 10.7 @ 6:22 (142)

Afternoon run was the hill session, 8 x 10 seconds in Bushy park again

Wednesday
    AM 11.6 @ 5:23 (146)
    PM Gym session and 6.4k @ 4:57 (148)

Morning run was 2.6 shuffle followed by 9 easy

Gym... front and side plank, bridge, squats (60, 70, 80kg x 6, it's been a few weeks) followed by box jumps, nordic hamstrings then fast legs, military press then resisted high knees, hip thrusts and resisted hamstrings, and 2 x 12 x 30kg bench press. Then some band work and finally 5 x 50ish sprints with walk back recovery.

Got home, then went out for 4 miles.

Thursday
    PM 13.1k @ 4:50 (155)
    later PM 6.4 @ 4:58 (158)

Easy run around UCD and home

Juvenile training session

Home and out for another 4

Friday
    AM 2.1k @ 6:35 (126)
    AM 16.4 @ 4:38 (159) (159 on the steady section, 170 on the MP)

2k shuffle first, stopping at McDonalds on the way back for a free breakfast. People pay money for those things?

Then 3k easy, 4k steady, 4k MP, and "3k" easy.
    3k brought me up to Bushy park
    First 4k in 4:31, 4:31, 4:34, 4:29
    Then 4k in 4:16, 4:14, 4:14, 4:07
    and then it was 5k to get to work

Pretty knackered after this. Looking forward to some later starts, and naps!, on the weekend, and only 5 + 4 tomorrow.

Goes to show though, how much of this is in your head - doing the steady bit, I felt like I was working, partly because I was thinking about pace, partly because I was thinking about the rest of the session to come. But on the way into work, when I really didn't care how fast or slow I was going, I ran a 4:29 and a 4:32. Yeah, both had downhills in them, but after the downhill bits I kept the steady pace up without thinking about it. While if you'd said beforehand I had to run 3k easy, 4k steady, 4k MP, then alternate easy and steady kms the rest of the way, I'd have been worrying about them.

week 3 part 2

picked up a blister on the side of my foot last week - new runners, and I was too lazy to do the extra loops :rolleyes: So far just annoying.

Saturday
    AM 7.6k @ 4:55 (AHR 149)
    PM 6.4 @ 6.03 (131)
    Easy run in the morning, recovery in the evening. Couldn't be bothered finding another 400m to bring the morning run up to the full 5 miles :)

Sunday
    22.3 @ 4:45 (153)
    6 surges to 5k pace for ~30 seconds each
    Up to Phoenix Park as usual, but skipped the Furry Glen and the trails so I could do the surges on flat paths. Had enormous trouble remembering to count to 30 each time :) so some of them were a bit long. They did the job though - I was knackered in the last couple of miles home, felt like I'd run much further.

119.7km total, which I think is my biggest week ever. And probably enough for me for this training block, I'll try not to go (much) beyond that in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I did your Bushy hill today for my hill sprints. That top bit of it is very steep! :)

• Advertisement

week 4 part 1

Monday
    AM 6.4k @ 6:32 (AHR 129)
    No company on this one, the kid is off school and gets to sleep in (though he did go for a run when he got up)
    PM gym session
    A lot of core work with the teenagers, they'll have felt that in the morning :pac:
    Plus some squats, benchpress, sprints
    6.4k @ 6:43 (124)
    when I got back from gym

Tuesday
    PM 14.9 @ 4:42 (157) Easy, with 2 x 10 minute tempos
    Target tempo pace was 3:55, managed (4:03, 3:52, 4:00 for the .5), and (3:59, 4:01, 3:51 for the .5) so a few seconds off each one

Wednesday
    AM 12.2 @ 4:36 (151)
    Easy run into work - two days ago and I don't remember any of this...
    PM 2.4 @ 7:55 (110)
    3.5 @ 4:55 (148)
    Club couch to 5k group has started up again, so went down for a walk/jog with them. Then a short run on my own afterwards, still with the tracksuit and jacket on.

Thursday
    AM 6.1 @ 6:37 (141)
    Not a day for cycling, so I ran in instead, though it meant I had to run with my bag :( Satellites seem to have been blown out of position too - I was two minutes outside the house (retrieving our bins) without a garmin lock, and 5 minutes running before getting a proper signal
    PM 12.7 @ 5:29 (141)
    Easy with 10 x 10 second hill sprints. Should have been another mile but I was out of time

Friday
    AM 11 @ 4:50 (147)
    Should have been another mile, but I misremembered the schedule :o

and part 2

Friday
    PM 5.9k @ 6:11 (137)
    running back from work with bag
    Watch had another fit of the crazies during the day, beeping away madly until I switched it off. Came back on with the wrong time, and took ten minutes to get satellites when I was leaving. Seems okay now, but a bit worrying.

Saturday
    AM 8k @ 5:00 (146)
    PM 6.4 @ 6:16
    ho-hum

Sunday
    21.9 @ 4:52 (150)
    Easy with 5 minute pickup at the end. Up and around Phoenix Park as usual. I was debating where to do the 5 minutes, where I could go near the end of the run that wouldn't be interrupted by road crossings. I was thinking of a stretch beside the LUAS on the Naas road, and another further back on the road, but eventually settled on a park nearer the house. Just as well - the Naas road was a wind-tunnel on the way back! The park was fairly exposed, but at least I was running loops. 4 minute pace for the pickup section.

118.2k for the week

Four weeks into the plan, and going well so far. Mileage is high, but manageable. Some niggles, upper right thigh is always a weak spot, but they're fading away on the recovery days. Another four weeks of this before racing, but this coming weekend is going to have some very early starts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What's the idea of the really slow runs Ray? I seen a fair few 10min+ paced runs on Strava. Are these not really biomechanically awkward?

pconn062 wrote: »
    What's the idea of the really slow runs Ray? I seen a fair few 10min+ paced runs on Strava. Are these not really biomechanically awkward?

Recovery!

I try to keep my steps very short on these, so I can keep the cadence high and stay light on my feet. I'd go mad if I was doing it for more than 4 miles at a time :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Recovery!

I try to keep my steps very short on these, so I can keep the cadence high and stay light on my feet. I'd go mad if I was doing it for more than 4 miles at a time :)

I'd say so! I would have thought that 10 min+ miles/6 min + k's was too slow for a runner of your ability for it to be of any real aerobic benefit, even on a recovery day. I know if I have to jog with our fit4lifers at 10 min + pace it just feels awkward and barely gets my HR up.

Not having a go by the way, just curious. I'm sure you know what you're doing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I'd say so! I would have thought that 10 min+ miles/6 min + k's was too slow for a runner of your ability for it to be of any real aerobic benefit, even on a recovery day. I know if I have to jog with our fit4lifers at 10 min + pace it just feels awkward and barely gets my HR up.

Not having a go by the way, just curious. I'm sure you know what you're doing! :)

No aerobic benefit expected with junk miles, I thought. Isn't it just mitochondrial building? I'll go as slow 10 minute miles on occasion when I'm weary.

davedanon wrote: »
    No aerobic benefit expected with junk miles, I thought. Isn't it just mitochondrial building? I'll go as slow 10 minute miles on occasion when I'm weary.

Hmm not sure. I was always told that a recovery run was a run that is as slow as necessary to help the body recover while also maintaining/improving base aerobic level. Otherwise you could just go for a walk. Each to their own though, and depends on individual fitness levels etc.

I don't know how much better it is than a forty minute walk, maybe nothing. But if the Kenyans can slow down to eight minute miles, I should be okay with ten minute miles. :)

week 5 part 1

Monday
    AM
    2.6 @ 6:42
    OH was away, so could only do the short jog with the kid
    PM
    Gym session with the teenagers. 2 sets of core work (planks, side planks, bridges, med ball pass), squats, sprints, and a few other bits and pieces I squeezed in
    6.3k @ 6:40 (128)
    recovery run after

Tuesday
    16.8 @ 4:43 (160)
    Easy run as far as Bushy, then 10 minutes tempo, 3 minutes recovery, 15 tempo, and easy home.
    Tough.
    Kept the first set under 4:00/km (though about 10 seconds short), second set was about 4:01. Heart rate 175-180 for all of the tempo bits.

Wednesday
    AM
    9.9 @ 5:17
    20 minutes jog with the kid, then into work
    PM gym session with the adults
    core, squats, box jumps, walking lunges with bar, nordic hamstrings, resisted hamstrings, pull-ups, band work, and sprints
    6.3 @ 6:18 (136)
    recovery run after

Thursday
    16.5 @ 4:47 (154)
    Easy run to Bushy park, then 8k starting every km with 30 seconds at 5k pace, and easy run home.
    I was feeling fairly battered at this stage, but the run itself was grand - 5k pace easy to find, and 30 seconds hardly anything.

Friday
    13.1 @ 5:15 (147)
    20 minutes jog with the kid, then into work

oh, and 450km for the month (just under 280 miles)

Ray. All your paces listed in minutes per km, yes? Also, what's your max HR (if you don't mind me asking)?

davedanon wrote: »
    Ray. All your paces listed in minutes per km, yes? Also, what's your max HR (if you don't mind me asking)?

yes, everything in kms. My easy pace is about 5 mins/km, which is about 8 minutes/mile.

Max HR, I'm not sure, 190-195?

yes, everything in kms. My easy pace is about 5 mins/km, which is about 8 minutes/mile.

Max HR, I'm not sure, 190-195?

Cool. mine's lower, so I just wanted an idea of what 180 bpm would represent in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

As I was driving to work this morning I saw a guy standing on the path in shorts and t shirt in the pouring rain and felt sorry for him. As I passed I realised it was you waiting to cross the road!

chickey2 wrote: »
    As I was driving to work this morning I saw a guy standing on the path in shorts and t shirt in the pouring rain and felt sorry for him. As I passed I realised it was you waiting to cross the road!

I got the full comedy passing -truck -drives -through -puddle on the road behind Bushy park, but I couldn't get much wetter by then :)

week 5, part 2
    Friday
    PM 6.5 @ 4:46 (151)
    ... I don't know, easy run after work, usual route? I think I remember I was wearing my longer shorts...:confused:

Saturday
    AM
    15.7 @ 4:36 (159, about 163 for the MP bits)
    Warm-up, 5k MP, easy, 5k MP, cooldown
    Stupid o'clock for this run, at least the spring is coming in so it wasn't pitch black. Up to Tymon, and then basically the new parkrun route for each MP bit. MP is a notional figure at the moment so anywhere in the range 4:10-4:20 would do me. First 5k was 4:14 (with a lot of variation, that route is all a gentle slope). The easy recovery was very stop/start, and I found it hard to get going again, to the point where I almost binned it, but then I remembered what happens if you quit sessions. Second set was grand once I got going, a couple of seconds slower over the whole 5k but that's all.

Then I spent most of the day in Athlone, sports psychology and triple jump.

Sunday
    AM
    19.8 @ 4:45 (143)
    Even stupider o'clock for this. Cold, dark, and pissing rain :rolleyes: Up to the park and up and down Chesterfield, I needed the streetlights. Through a herd of deer near the ambassador's residence, I'm sure they thought they'd have another hour or two before the lunatics started to come out.

Stiff all day after that and the drive to Athlone, where we were doing strength and conditioning/plyometrics, so I was even more ungainly than usual.

Giving blood this evening, which is handy, so today and tomorrow will be pretty much rest days.

• Advertisement

"PM 6.5 @ 4:46 (151)
    ... I don't know, easy run after work, usual route? I think I remember I was wearing my longer shorts..."

Taxi to Shady Pines retirement home for Mr. Cunningham!

Hmm, platelet clinic today and apparently my iron level has fallen outside their recommended range. No more donations for me for a few months and will see if I have any iron tablets left. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Hmm, platelet clinic today and apparently my iron level has fallen outside their recommended range. No more donations for me for a few months and will see if I have any iron tablets left. ..

That's a pain Ray. At least you found out before it started affecting your running. Beeline iron and vitamin c effervescent tablets are pretty good (and they're three for two in Boots!)

Hit the brakes last week. Legs were still stiff and I was beginning to feel it in my achilles, so eased way back.

4 miles slow Monday, about 10k Tuesday to Saturday, 6 x 10 second hills included in that on Thursday and a few 30 seconds @ 5ks on Saturday. Saturday evening had a bottle of some nice Portuguese muscle relaxant, and Sunday stayed in bed :)

Back on the horse this week. The next weekends I have courses I'll skip the sessions, it's just too much. I'll have to start fiddling with the training plan now to work out how to rearrange everything...

56k last week, and gym session Wednesday

week 6, part 1

Monday
    AM
    6.4 @ 5:59 (129)
    back to the morning recovery runs
    PM
    7.3 @ 5:36 (142)
    and evening recovery run, this time home from work

then the gym in the evening with the teenagers. Did the core work and sprints with them, and managed to squeeze in some squats

Tuesday
    16.1 @ 4:33 (162)
    Easy, with 2 x 15 minute tempos
    Trying to get these under 4:00 had me working too hard, so I decided that anything under 4:10 would be fine. Both worked out about 4:04 and felt a little more controlled, so happy enough

Wednesday
    AM
    6.4 @ 4:55 (146)
    easy run on the usual route
    12.9 @ 4:59 (155)
    lap of UCD and home, feeling pretty tired on this one

gym with the adults in the evening - Front plank, active , Side plank, running, Russian twists, Squats (72.5, 77.5, 82.5), Walking lunges w/bar, Hip thrusts, Floor bench press, Running action with resistance, Bands, 5 x 50m sprints

Thurs
    12.1 @ 5.06 (151)
    Easy, with 6 x 10 and 2 x 20 hill sprints
    Bushy park again for these. The 6 x 10 were fine. 2 x 20 I started back near the bandstand, only a drag really for the first ten seconds then into the hill, might try somewhere else next time. This was hard enough though, legs were really dragging up the hill. At least it made the remaining easy run feel easier...

There was a group of lads doing their own hill session at the same time on the grass - run up, walk down, run up, walk down, press-ups, run up, walk down... which was great, because we all got to be secretly snotty, "well I'm doing proper hill training" :)

week 6, part 2

Friday
    AM
    13.1 @ 4:51 (148)
    Usual up and around Tymon

Supposed to be a Friday PM too, but... well, I have a long list of excuses, all of them feeble :pac:

Saturday
    16.8 @ 4:46 (150)
    Tymon again. Basically the same as Friday, except this time did 6 x 200m strides before leaving the park. With the wind, and with the bit of downhill too - in my educated opinion, the purpose of the strides was to move my legs quickly, not to increase effort levels, so running the opposite direction would not have brought the same benefits.

Also, it would have been much harder.

Sunday
    21.1 @ 4:52 (149)
    Standard loop around Phoenix Park - Islandbridge, Furry glen, trails, Wellington Road, and out. All grand until I left the park and found the few miles home were not only uphill but into the wind :rolleyes:

112.7k for the week

week 7

Monday
    AM
    6.4 @ 5:39
    PM
    Gym session with teenagers, did some core work, squats, sprints, but most supervising
    6.4 @ 6:05 afterwards

Tuesday
    17.9 @ 4:44
    Easy run to Bushy park, 20 minutes at tempo (pace about 4:05), 3 minutes easy, 15 at tempo (4:08?), and then home. Second tempo got off to a slow start - well, actually a fast start because it was slightly downhill, but should have been faster - and I found it hard to speed up. But overall, not so bad.

Wednesday
    AM
    13.3 @ 4:45
    fairly tired for this one
    PM
    Gym session with the adults - planks, squats, hip thrusts, bench press, walking lunges w/bar, bands.
    6.3 @ 5:03
    Easy run afterwards, legs very stiff by now. I think this is where my watch started to go, this run cuts out about a k from home...

Thursday
    AM
    6.4 @ 5:39
    Slow morning recovery run
    PM
    8ish, slowish
    recovery home from work

Friday
    AM
    About 10 miles. Up to Tymon for a lap, home for some breakfast and to give the kid his birthday presents :), then into work

Watch has finally died. It had a few more fits in the last few weeks of switching itself on randomly, but now it switches itself off randomly too, or doesn't respond to button presses at all. Looks like I'm in for a spell of (semi-)naked running - will dig out my old stopwatch just to have something to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You seem to have put your niggles/injuries behind you, you're getting a bit of quality in and the mileage seems to be building, are you thinking of targeting a marathon this year?

TbL

You seem to have put your niggles/injuries behind you, you're getting a bit of quality in and the mileage seems to be building, are you thinking of targeting a marathon this year?

Not far behind! The week off-plan earlier this month was because I was getting so stiff and tired, and I could feel it building up in my calves. So all the calf lifts, squats, and compression socks are keeping things at bay, but it's still waiting for me :pac:

The plan (cue divine laughter) is 10k in Dunshaughlin, a few months of base building (which will include 10 mile, 1/2, and XC races), then into training for Rotterdam next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats on the Older old man prize ;)

Advertisement