Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political & Economical threads in AH

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

How about making a number of megathreads based on recessionary sub-themes. There are some obvious ones, the budget, EU/IMF bailout, loss of standard of living, solutions to save economy, etc. Start a few large threads, don't sticky them, unless for maybe Budget week, etc. Whenever a thread crops up that can fit with one of the large threads merge it. If it's busy it will be on the front page, if not it won't show.

That way at most there will be 4/5 threads on the front page at most and they won't be there all the time. That might seem like a lot but the economy/recession is big, big news at the moment. Almost everyone is being effected by what is happening, most negatively, a lot very, very negatively. I understand that plenty of people would rather not talk about it, at least not all of the time, but for a lot of people this is a huge, huge aspect of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Where are these 'Economical' threads in AH, most of them have quite a few sentences.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

iguana wrote: »
    How about making a number of megathreads based on recessionary sub-themes. There are some obvious ones, the budget, EU/IMF bailout, loss of standard of living, solutions to save economy, etc. Start a few large threads, don't sticky them, unless for maybe Budget week, etc. Whenever a thread crops up that can fit with one of the large threads merge it. If it's busy it will be on the front page, if not it won't show.

That way at most there will be 4/5 threads on the front page at most and they won't be there all the time. That might seem like a lot but the economy/recession is big, big news at the moment. Almost everyone is being effected by what is happening, most negatively, a lot very, very negatively. I understand that plenty of people would rather not talk about it, at least not all of the time, but for a lot of people this is a huge, huge aspect of their lives.

....works perfectly well elsewhere. No point in having a merge feature if ye don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Christ. I came in here to take the piss, only to see one of my own posts quoted.

Mega thread on everything won't work.

Mega threads on each specific topic is what's needed.

IMF: Mega thread.
    NAMA: Mega thread.
    Bertie & co. Mega thread.
    Dole spongers: Mega thread.
    Travellers: Mega thread.
    Immigints: Mega thread.
    Moe: Mega thread.
    Banks: Mega thread.
    Bankers: Mega thread.

Basically a megathread for every petty thing pissing off the private sector workers who spend their work hours posting in AH.

What? Too close to the bone? Hey, you have no problem whining about everyone who isn't you. Don't complain when you are put in the spotlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What ... no mega thread for the EMF?

That's unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

What ... no mega thread for the EMF?

That's unbelievable.

It's a serious topic though Star and it affects a lot of people, jokes are hardly helpful.

Maybe you could do well to read this post on the IMF - Big Bad Wolf thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Rather then creating any kind of sub-forum on the basis of subject matter, why not just create one for boring, dull, depressing threads - chuck the politics/economy threads into it along with anything else that offends the light-hearted gaiety of the forum.

Suggested names:

1. The Boring Room (pronounced 'baw-ing' to indicate the sounds being made and the fact that threads will withdraw to it)

2. The Doom & Gloom Room: obvious.

Sweep the offensive threads into it from time to time, leaving the rest of the forum for light relief. It also gives me a home for the AH-style threads generated in Politics.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I think a temporary sub-forum is a most excellent plan.. :)

The amount of depressing political unamusing threads is not cheering me up :(

After Hours - The Dark Side

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

foxinsox wrote: »
    I think a temporary sub-forum is a most excellent plan.. :)

The amount of depressing political unamusing threads is not cheering me up :(
    Working on it. Tis a blooming depressing place right now. Bit of merging and locking at will going on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Working on it. Tis a blooming depressing place right now. Bit of merging and locking at will going on at the moment.

Was thinking there was a few threads that could be merged.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We have a big gloomy we're all screwed sunday mega merge.
    Now all we need's an over cooked roast and a nice long nap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Boards tends to reflect what's happening in Ireland, and AH especially often tends to reflect the worst / most weird and / or extreme.

And Ireland is a blooming depressing place right now.
    gandalf wrote: »
    No they don't need to lower the bar. There is discussion ongoing in other threads here in feedback with the aim of restoring the bar to the high standards of discussion desired in the politics forum. I certainly would not be in favour of lowering them to solve an issue in After Hours.
    I am not a mod of politics at at the moment. I have put my name forward as a temp mod to help restore standards and to react quicker to trolls and threads like those you are talking about.

Personally I would consign them to the recycle bin and infract the thread starter.
    While the quality of discourse on Politics may have suffered recently, this reflects the fact that over the last while suddenly everyone is interested in "politics" in the broad sense (because it's hitting them in the pocket).

Given that one of the reasons imho why we're in the present mess was that few ordinary people in Ireland were interested in politics or willing to ask questions during the "good" years of the Diseased Celtic Kitten (as exemplified finally by the re-election of FF in 2007), is this actually a bad thing?

While I accept that low content / extremist / ranting posts in a forum like Politics are annoying (hell, they annoy me if I'm honest), surely encouraging the relevant posters to raise their game would be preferable to a more high-handed approach which will surely be perceived as elitist, regardless of the real reasons behind it?

(I accept that deliberate trolling is a different issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Coming on and posting a rant is not taking an active interest in Politics. Some of the threads that have allowed to run on the Politics forum are of the type that would be more at home on After Hours.

I am finding it difficult to justify taking part in discussions there these days, I know I am not the only one. So basically what will happen is those of us who try to consider what we post will cease to actively part take in the forum and all that will be left is the noise and no one will learn anything from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Coming on and posting a rant is not taking an active interest in Politics. Some of the threads that have allowed to run on the Politics forum are of the type that would be more at home on After Hours.

If they are just "rants", then maybe 'ranting and raving' would be the best place for them.

Political threads have a place on After Hours for sure, but 'political rants' - I don't think should.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I still think a sub-forum is in order. Threads complaining about other threads in AH have started to arise. No reason has been given yet as to why a temporary sub-forum serving as a juncture for AH-like political discussion would not work; other than 'if you do this, you'll need to do other things' or 'AH is pub talk central'.. The former is complete crap.. an ad-hoc solution is just that, and does not mean that the same action needs to be taken for other issues. The latter is a fair comment, but the reasoning behind setting up a sub-forum would protect that fact. I know if I went into a pub where 80% of the people were talking politics, I would not stay for long.

It would help both AH and the Politics forum if there was a temp sub-forum.. I really don't understand why there is such a degree of heel dragging here

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It would help both AH and the Politics forum if there was a temp sub-forum.. I really don't understand why there is such a degree of heel dragging here

I think its to do with egos tbh and the unwillingness in both forums to ask for help. It kind of mirrors the whole situation with the Government and the ECB/IMF. The Politics forum and After Hours forum need to request help from the boards version of the IMF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

OutlawPete wrote: »
    If they are just "rants", then maybe 'ranting and raving' would be the best place for them.

Political threads have a place on After Hours for sure, but 'political rants' - I don't think should.
    Political rants dont belong in R&R either, per its charter.

Advertisement