Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on probably dead motherboard?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    looking for advice on possibly dead motherboard:

Setup is:
    Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 - motherboard with Intel i7 875K, LGA1156 and Corsair Dominator 4GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3, 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL8
    Plus 2 x 500gb SATA HDs and 2 x Sony DVD writers

It's been working fine for about 5 months, but the other night it wouldn't start up, not even posting - the mouse lit up and further inspection showed the system and CPU fans spun up for about 2 seconds then the machine re-booted, the fans spun up for 2 seconds or so, machine rebooted.......etc, just kept looping.
    There are LEDs on the motherboard, but they only indicate that power to the motherboard is good (but i changed out the power supply with a known good just in case).
    I've pretty much unplugged everything i can (system fans, memory, all drives, graphics card) except the processor and the main power onto the board, but it's still the same.

The processor is coming off next, but anyone else have any ideas before i start trying to get an RMA off Komplett?

Ta.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Try pulling the mobo out of the chassis to make sure something isn't shorting against the case, reseat the CPU cooler (you'll need replacement thermal paste!) and reset the CMOS (take out the battery for ~30 seconds and press the button/jumper/whatever if necessary before putting it back in). Once that's done its time for Minimum Boots - add a graphics card if you don't have any onboard video, and try to get the machine to POST while alternating between different memory modules one at a time. See if it reach the BIOS with at least one stick. If you can't even POST after that something vital is borked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

couldn't have said it better myself

after what he said contact gigabyte, they have a repair center in UK. Email them about getting a repair done under warranty. They reply to their emails real quick and they give like a 3 year warranty. love gigabyte

Advertisement