Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Clonmel - William Burke

Options
  • 09-11-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when William Burke's 1907 'History of Clonmel' book is to be re-published? I have read on many occasions that it is going to be on sale in 2010.

I've rang easons, they didn't have a date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I gave it a quick search as it's something I'd like to have a look at.

One of the links was on Watersones: link but the google description said:
    1 Nov 2010 ... History of Clonmel (Book) by William P. Burke (2010) ... Other books by this author See all titles · The Irish Priests in the Penal Times

So by that is it out on the 1st November? Or sometime soon? Look up Nabu Press, I think they're the publishers.

Try in the Literature forum as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalmation 1

A book called, Burkes History of Clonmel, going to be newly reprinted & relaunched on Nov 24th, i was speaking with the author only today ( co-incidence). Not sure if thats the same book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

A book called, Burkes History of Clonmel, going to be newly reprinted & relaunched on Nov 24th, i was speaking with the author only today ( co-incidence). Not sure if thats the same book though.

Thanks very much, that's the one. I was in easons again yesterday and they hadn't a clue what I was going on about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

you could also read it online

History of Clonmel
    by
    William P. Burke

:)

It might be the time but I'm a little confused. Who is the author of the 'new' edition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Clonmelinfo

Margaret Rossiter local historian has written the new foreword in the book, being launched Nov 24th @ 8pm in the Main Guard

For more details
    http://clonmelonline.com/2010/11/history-of-clonmel-to-be-relaunched/

Sorry my mistake, the lady i was speaking with is republishing the book, (i was lead to believe that she had written it). There a piece in the Premier People this week about the launch page 10.

Book Market on Marketplace looks like it'll be the main selling point.

Might pick this up, particularly interested in his thoughts on the Cromwellian period at Clonmel. Don't know what "affordable" will mean though.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Don't know what "affordable" will mean though.

€ 50

€50? Wow. Hardly "affordable" IMO.

• Advertisement

I`m sure the IMF could lend it to us ;)

well, it's free online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Fionn wrote: »
    well, it's free online :)

If old mags rossitor is making money from the reprint then expect her weekly whine in the Nationalist to delve into the evils of the internet and the importance of copyright.

Seriously though I've read much of it online in the past. Its an interesting read especially the early days after the Norman conquest when the various local lords were knocking the hell out of each other. Its a pity there isnt more info around on this period.

That said €50 is a bit steep for something you can read free on line. €15 maybe. €50 and you are almost half way to a basic tablet pc to read in on line.

yeah €50 is a bit much for something you'd only look up every so often. If they had a softback version for cheaper there'd be more take-up i'd think. According to the American Libraries website, the book is out of copyright, so there shouldn't be any issues there and it also reports that it was downloaded 1,504 times, so some people are taking the cheaper option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I'm involved in this actually so I'll answer your questions (sorry only came across this there now)

Basically the book itself has 2 main editions recognised before now, the 1907 original print which goes for about €2000-€6000 and the 1983 edition (limited run of 500 or so) which currently sells for about €600 I believe.

There was also a print on demand edition released about 2 years ago by a crowd in the states which is basically a photocopy in softback a4 size. That sells for about €50. The 2nd edition when it was released in the 80s sold for £35 or £50 pounds (conflicting reports).

Basically €50 is actually an affordable price for this book considering that your only alternative is to read it via google books, a manky overpriced photocopy, or for great expense at auction. This book is a replica of the original edition (professionally scanned) and original fonts/structure/etc is reproduced. Its also been proofread to make sure that it is accurate. This is nothing to do with the version you can find online.

A LOT of work went into this and it was all done in Ireland by Irish companies. It took about a year to do from scratch and its a really nice book now, its well printed and bound. It feels substantial and if you are interested in the history then its basically the pre-eminent work you can find.

I've extensively read this book myself and its not exactly a page turner, but it is very thorough and full of history. Its the type of book you buy just to have, not to read before bed. For those saying that €15 would be a reasonable price, I suggest you try to find out just how much it costs to get an original copy (to guarantee accuracy and quality), professionally digitise it, print it on quality paper, bind it and offer a leather binding option and print all of that. Oh and do that in Ireland too, not China. You would be surprised at how much it all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Boro wrote: »
    I'm involved in this actually so I'll answer your questions (sorry only came across this there now)

Basically the book itself has 2 main editions recognised before now, the 1907 original print which goes for about €2000-€6000 and the 1983 edition (limited run of 500 or so) which currently sells for about €600 I believe.

There was also a print on demand edition released about 2 years ago by a crowd in the states which is basically a photocopy in softback a4 size. That sells for about €50. The 2nd edition when it was released in the 80s sold for £35 or £50 pounds (conflicting reports).

Basically €50 is actually an affordable price for this book considering that your only alternative is to read it via google books, a manky overpriced photocopy, or for great expense at auction. This book is a replica of the original edition (professionally scanned) and original fonts/structure/etc is reproduced. Its also been proofread to make sure that it is accurate. This is nothing to do with the version you can find online.

A LOT of work went into this and it was all done in Ireland by Irish companies. It took about a year to do from scratch and its a really nice book now, its well printed and bound. It feels substantial and if you are interested in the history then its basically the pre-eminent work you can find.

I've extensively read this book myself and its not exactly a page turner, but it is very thorough and full of history. Its the type of book you buy just to have, not to read before bed. For those saying that €15 would be a reasonable price, I suggest you try to find out just how much it costs to get an original copy (to guarantee accuracy and quality), professionally digitise it, print it on quality paper, bind it and offer a leather binding option and print all of that. Oh and do that in Ireland too, not China. You would be surprised at how much it all costs.

Best of luck with it. I have no doubt you have put a lot of thought and effort into creating a good quality reproduction of the book. It sounds like something I'd be happy to get as a Christmas present but if Santa doesn't bring it then €50 remains too expensive for something I can read for free on line. Blame Biffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

touts wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. I have no doubt you have put a lot of thought and effort into creating a good quality reproduction of the book. It sounds like something I'd be happy to get as a Christmas present but if Santa doesn't bring it then €50 remains too expensive for something I can read for free on line. Blame Biffo.

Thats completely understandable to be honest, this book isnt really aimed at the popular market. It is a book that historians and those interested in the history of the town have been eager to get for a long time and this is a reasonable price actually (believe it or not) for a book of this type. Similar works start at around €25-€30 but there was a book released a couple of months ago on the history of Fethard that retails for €40. The price point chosen for this book was a reflection of the costs involved in creating it, its not just pure profit whoring :)

It was launched last night anyway in the Main Guard in Clonmel by Siobhán Ambrose (mayor) and Margaret Rossiter, both of them spoke very well about the book. Margaret was telling a story of how when she was at school, the teacher came in and used to read them stories from it but wouldn't let them touch it at all. After that, she used to go around to a neighbours house where she was able to read a small bit of it at a time, but given strict instructions of how she had to handle the book. Ok, she told it much better!

One sense I got though from the thing last night was just how many people have been trying to get this book, theres a huge demand for it even though you feel the price is prohibitive. Its the sort of thing you can keep for years though so it is more an investment than a normal fiction that you might pick up. There should be pictures in the nationalist and premier people next issues I think as there were a couple of photographers there.

Advertisement