Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow Thread - Follow Forum

Options
  • 09-11-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Just my 2c on the new(ish) Follow Thread function which recently replaced the standard vbulletin thread subscription.

I find that the Follow Thread button & the little flashing orange "New Posts" button at the top right have made a great positive impact on keeping up with threads. Its easier & faster.

I always though the standard subscription only worked for a limited number of threads, whereas this gives you a nice one-shot list of your subscribed followed threads.

There is probably one minor limitation, if you subscribe to a busy thread, you will nearly always have the "New Posts" button flashing, but one can find bigger problems in life.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Where is this flashing orange button you speak of? I subscribe to forums, not threads, in case that makes a difference.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

5starpool wrote: »
    Where is this flashing orange button you speak of? I subscribe to forums, not threads, in case that makes a difference.
    Only in the beta menu I think and yeah it only applies to threads

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Sounds like it would be very annoying.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm only subscribed to one thread that doesn't update very frequently so I find it handy, you can disable it if you want anyway

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Only in the beta menu I think and yeah it only applies to threads

ah I didn't know it was only there for the beta menu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davearthurs

Anyone got a Url to the vbulletin follow script so I could apply it to my own forum?

It was probably developed by Ross/Conor I'd say, so not available for public use as a normal vbulletin hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davearthurs

Ok thanks. Is the My Threads mod also custom?

I've actually found that those icons on the beta don't actually work as they should sometimes - I'd receive a mail, but it wouldn't flash or I'd read the mail it will stay flashing for a few minutes after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I've actually found that those icons on the beta don't actually work as they should sometimes - I'd receive a mail, but it wouldn't flash or I'd read the mail it will stay flashing for a few minutes after.
    It was like that for me for the past week or so too. Seems to be okay today though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think Ross/Conor switched that off during the week. It came back for me today too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Anyone got a Url to the vbulletin follow script so I could apply it to my own forum?

As 5starpool mentioned, it was made by Ross specifically for Boards. Even if we released the code, it might not work on a stock vBulletin install since we've modified our copy quite a bit.
    Ok thanks. Is the My Threads mod also custom?

The entire front page is outside of vBulletin, so yes. It's also a bit of a mess, so I don't know if you'd really want it! :D The front page has em... evolved... over a few years and is sorely in need of a cleanup. Ross did his best to get rid of the worst of the hairiness when he made the last set of changes but it still needs some love.
    I've actually found that those icons on the beta don't actually work as they should sometimes - I'd receive a mail, but it wouldn't flash or I'd read the mail it will stay flashing for a few
    minutes after.

There'll always be a bit of lag, since the result of the call back to the site is cached pretty heavily.
    I think Ross/Conor switched that off during the week. It came back for me today too.

Yeah, I switched it off for a while to reduce the amount of traffic back to the site. I turned it back on at the end of this week.

Advertisement