Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains Frequnecy Variation

Options
  • 09-11-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how much the mains frequency vary throughout the day?

I know the ESB will correct it so the average is 50.000Hz, what are the Min / max values we typically see?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

have you checked the website or anything

i'm sure the tolerance is much tighter than the voltage

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Gumby

I always thought that they used the frequency to assess the load, for instance if the load increases the frequency slows (power factor) and so they bring in more capacity until the frequency is restored.
    The old electric clocks used to rely on the mains frequency for their accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I cant remember exact figures off the top of my head, but I know its taken very serious. I think it has to remain in 49.5Hz to 50.5Hz for most part, any more would be alarm bells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

From 50.5 hertz down to 48 hertz i think is their specified limits, in practice its close to the 50 hertz most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

robbie7730 wrote: »
    From 50.5 hertz down to 48 hertz i think is their specified limits, in practice its close to the 50 hertz most of the time.

Down to the 48Hz, isnt that only allowed for a few seconds though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No idea I would assume that would be at least as tight a tolerance as Davy suggests as the frequency will impact on motor synchronous speed, power factor correcting units, design currents etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well thats their specified limits i think, 1% over and 4% under, but the actual daily variance would be very close to the 50%.

If everyone goes and puts on their kettle right now it might bring it down below that limit, and trip out a few under frequency relays. I cant remember any of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

Mr Gumby wrote: »
    I always thought that they used the frequency to assess the load, for instance if the load increases the frequency slows (power factor) and so they bring in more capacity until the frequency is restored.
    The old electric clocks used to rely on the mains frequency for their accuracy.

We have an electric clock over fifty years old that still keeps perfect time

Advertisement