Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees / March Debate tonight

Options
  • 09-11-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Right this debate is on tonight theatre P at 7 hosted by lawsoc.

There has been a lot of debate about this on boards so I am going to give you guys a chance if you want your voice to be heard.

Would anyone like to speak on the anti-fees side? I will be speaking pro fees and will let you speak after me, so you don't even have to worry about me getting personal.

If you feel you might want to speak, but aren't committed to a full 7 minutes, after debates we open the floor to short speeches from people who may not feel strongly on the whole thing, but have an opinion on particular issues (such as maybe garda brutality or the role of the SU)

MODS: Sorry for not posting this in what's on. I am not plugging the debate, I am asking if someone would like to take part.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

errlloyd wrote: »
    If you feel you might want to speak, but aren't committed to a full 7 minutes, after debates we open the floor to short speeches from people who may not feel strongly on the whole thing, but have an opinion on particular issues (such as maybe alleged garda brutality or the role of the SU)

Fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

According to a piece at Politico, the reg. fee increase is going to be smaller than feared: somewhere between €500-800, or a total of around €2,000. Not including the Student Union tax, of course.

The rest of the piece is about the Australian system, the kind of thing that's been discussed elsewhere: government-sponsored loans followed by a graduation tax. It could happen, but not quickly.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

bnt wrote: »
    According to a piece at Politico, the reg. fee increase is going to be smaller than feared: somewhere between €500-800, or a total of around €2,000. Not including the Student Union tax, of course.

The rest of the piece is about the Australian system, the kind of thing that's been discussed elsewhere: government-sponsored loans followed by a graduation tax. It could happen, but not quickly.

This is just all apart of Fianna Fáil sneaky plan to gain support from students. They circulated a possibility that the reg fee would double only so they could put it by a slightly smaller amount and everyone would praise them for it, especially the USI. A 500 euro increase is still enough to stop some lower income earners from going to university too. You can also be sure that if the USI or other student organisations don't fight this suppoedly 'small increase' that the reg fee will be 3,000 within the next few years. The war is by no means over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This is just all apart of Fianna Fáil sneaky plan to gain support from students. They circulated a possibility that the reg fee would double only so they could put it by a slightly smaller amount and everyone would praise them for it, especially the USI.
    Oh, I know, but I'm also wondering how the USI are going to spin this. I hope this doesn't send the message that the protests "worked" (for some value of "worked"). I also wouldn't be so keen to single out Fianna Fáil for criticism - they're all politicians, they'll do whatever gets them votes, and Labour wants yours too. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

bnt wrote: »
    Oh, I know, but I'm also wondering how the USI are going to spin this. I hope this doesn't send the message that the protests "worked" (for some value of "worked"). I also wouldn't be so keen to single out Fianna Fáil for criticism - they're all politicians, they'll do whatever gets them votes, and Labour wants yours too. :rolleyes:

I imagine Gary FFer Redmond's going to release a statement saying exactly that but I wouldn't be surprised if he was briefed on the government's sneaky plan already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement