Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine Acid Test

• 09-11-2010 3:33pm
    Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of finishing a 1 gallon batch of dry white wine. It's clearing out nicely, after 2 (one month) racks and the addition of some finings.. but I tasted a little bit and it tastes slightly acidic. I did cold store it for a few weeks at about 6 deg C as I believe this can help to mellow the acidity somewhat...I tasted after the cold storage back at room temp.

I am thinking about adding potassium bicarbonate or something similar to reduce the acid but I would like to test the wine first. I see these acid test kits for 10/15 euro but would simple litmus paper not give an approx reading of the acidity in the wine?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

litmus paper will only give you the ph you need to know how much acid per liter or gallon so you should definitly get an acid test kit
    you need a reading of abot 5-6 grams/ltr of tartaric acid,if you get a richies test kit you gert the reading as grms/ltr of sulphuric but this is easily to converted by using google to find a conversion table.
    as for loosing the acidity the best and easist way is to sweeten the wine a little bit
    btw what wine is it

• Subscribers Posts: 693 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Yes but isn't the pH a scale that indicates whether substance is acid or alkali so if I test with universal litmus paper it shows a colour giving an approximation of acidity/alkaline along this scale? Never really thought of sugar but is this not masking one taste with another? Or will it affect the clearing process much? If it works it works...have you tried?

The wine is just made from Welch's white grape, pear & apple juice. I've added nutrient, citric acid, little bit of tannin, champagne yeast. I stopped it with campden and Potassium Sorbate so adding sugar shouldn't be a prob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

if you use litmus you first need to find your range e.g. mix up a solution at different strengths and test even then it wont be that accurate, i would really suggest investing in an acid test kit and test every wine before starting
    i wouldnt add sugar just in case it starts fermentaion again the best idea is to use artificial sweetner and add little bits at a time till you get the wine where you want it ,remember you can put in but you cant take it out

Advertisement