Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing etc

Options
  • 09-11-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Can anyone explain which housing scheme is best & why?

Can you ever get say a 3 bed house in a decent area through these schemes or is it always apartments?

I have no savings and have started to panic that i really should own a home in the next few years.

I work full time and i am a single mother with one child.

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lostaccount

You can see all afforable homes available here. The page can take a few minutes to load as there is quite a few listings on it but you can filter it by selecting a particular area;

http://www.affordablehome.ie/All-Available-Homes.aspx

In terms of the best scheme, i suppose that really depends on your personal circumstances but in general the afforable housing scheme is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If you are in a city, you'd be very lucky to get a 3bed house. Reason being, they built thousands of apts to encourage a 'city living' lifestyle but kindly forgot to make them spacious and family friendly.

Start saving now as you will need evidence of savings when applying and when at the interview, say you will need some space(aka garden) for your child but remember that the main problem is the lack of supply for 3bed houses that will hold you back. Outside the cities, you will have more choice and chance of getting of a 3bed house as per affordable link provided above.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

It really depends on whether you llive in a city or not. We were on the Dublin City Council list around 5 years ago & while we got loads of offers, all were apartments. We're a couple with one child. We chose not to enter into such a scheme and in hindsight given our circumstances I think it was the right decision.

I would research this thoroughly OP and don't forget you will need evidence of savings, you'll have to furnish the place and there maybe management company fees to pay etc.

Best of luck

Advertisement