Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration fees-Mature Student

Options
  • 09-11-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

I’m currently on year two of a VTOS payment (so it’s my last year) and I’m looking at going onwards and upwards (hopefully).SO I went over to ITB open day today and all went well till I’m told its a €1500 registration fee per year with a view to the nice people who run this country upping it to €3000.

Would any of this be covered with me being a mature student? I have heard the cost of the course and the books are covered, but the idea of almost a third of my annual income for this alone is stopping me.

Thanks for any info in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Wouldnt be covered no it'd be a seperate fee to pay. Im in a similar situation that Im a mature student hopefully going back in September but ill have to pay this increased registration fee and the fees as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

jeffk wrote: »
    I’m currently on year two of a VTOS payment (so it’s my last year) and I’m looking at going onwards and upwards (hopefully).SO I went over to ITB open day today and all went well till I’m told its a €1500 registration fee per year with a view to the nice people who run this country upping it to €3000.

Would any of this be covered with me being a mature student? I have heard the cost of the course and the books are covered, but the idea of almost a third of my annual income for this alone is stopping me.

Thanks for any info in advance!!

As it stands your registration fees may be covered if you are approved for a grant. As a mature student you may be entitled to BTEA, your VTOS provider should be able to provide this information to you. The budget may impinge upon the current qualifying conditions so keep an eye on it. This site may help,
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks for the replys!!

Im think your right, I best sit tight for the budget and then sure its two months till we have to apply for the course/college.

Heartbreaking to look @ something and actually want it, then told oh its costs x. Far to high for three years and then pot luck of getting work @ the end. Its something you could possibly afford at the start of a career change using the money from when you worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Thanks for the replys!!

Im think your right, I best sit tight for the budget and then sure its two months till we have to apply for the course/college.

Heartbreaking to look @ something and actually want it, then told oh its costs x. Far to high for three years and then pot luck of getting work @ the end. Its something you could possibly afford at the start of a career change using the money from when you worked.
    Generally, mature students getting BTEA qualify for the minimum grant, which is your registration fees being paid(but nothing else).

Might want to tell us your general situation with regards to:
    Work
    Living at home
    How long unemployed
    etc!

Tragedy wrote: »
    Generally, mature students getting BTEA qualify for the minimum grant, which is your registration fees being paid(but nothing else).

Might want to tell us your general situation with regards to:
    Work
    Living at home
    How long unemployed
    etc!

Im not working

Ive being doing pre ecdl/ecdl and then It & Cust Care and now Pc Maintance Progression/Year Two courses since I last had a full time job just over five years ago. Im also registered with my local LES.

I live @ home and have been on the vtos payments for last year and then this year, after that id have to go on the back to eduction allowance system.

• Advertisement

Im not working

Ive being doing pre ecdl/ecdl and then It & Cust Care and now Pc Maintance Progression/Year Two courses since I last had a full time job just over five years ago. Im also registered with my local LES.

I live @ home and have been on the vtos payments for last year and then this year, after that id have to go on the back to eduction allowance system.
    Not sure how VTOS works in relation to JB/JA/BTEA to be honest!

By the sounds of it though, you should get BTEA and I haven't heard of many(any?) getting BTEA and not getting Registration Fee's paid via Grant.

Not sure how VTOS works in relation to JB/JA/BTEA to be honest!

By the sounds of it though, you should get BTEA and I haven't heard of many(any?) getting BTEA and not getting Registration Fee's paid via Grant.

Thanks for information, ill have to sit tight for this budget and see from there!

I don't see the budget changing eligibility to be honest. Maybe another €8 off JA/JB, or 5% off grant though? Who knows.

Well the doubling of the reg fees could change the game completely. Keep the fingers crossed is all we can do!

Well the doubling of the reg fees could change the game completely. Keep the fingers crossed is all we can do!
    Not for you, if as is most likely, you qualify for the minimum grant.

• Advertisement

Not for you, if as is most likely, you qualify for the minimum grant.

Great stuff, time to start looking into the applications etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I'm a mature student and all I get is the BTEA. Got hit with the registration fee and tuition fees. :mad:

I'm a mature student and all I get is the BTEA. Got hit with the registration fee and tuition fees. :mad:
    Did you go to college recently, or finish a degree before?

I waited for the 5 year rule(5 years after you were last in college) so I would get free fees+registration fee paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hurler_87

Did you go to college recently, or finish a degree before?

I waited for the 5 year rule(5 years after you were last in college) so I would get free fees+registration fee paid.

Is that 5 years from when you were in undergraduate only, or does it include postgraduate??? It sounds very tempting...

If you've completed an undergrad, as far as I know you never get free fee's or become eligible for a grant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

If you've completed an undergrad, as far as I know you never get free fee's or become eligible for a grant again.

Thats what I thought I was told as well but I would be delighted if someone can prove it wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

gibson wrote: »
    Thats what I thought I was told as well but I would be delighted if someone can prove it wrong :D

In very exceptional circumstances it might be an option but it doesn't tend to happen too often. It might be considered if you did for example, a diploma in the 1980's related to a job that no longer exists and you have a proven need to retrain but you would have to make a pretty detailed case to the Funding for Higher and Further Education section of the DES.

Advertisement