Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Blast From The Past!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Utd: Roy Keane
    Ireland: Paul McGrath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Newcastle
    Shearer
    do I really need a reason?

Honorable mention
    Nobby Solano
    Gifted footballer, lethal crosser and lethal from set pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

That Ally McCoist video didnt impress me

Meh, Ally will always have one major advantage over Henrik. He played for the right team! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Club: Shels

Player: Shero

Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCLYPvOY6s0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Have to say I am totally undecided on this one.
    King Kenny what can I say..
    or
    G souness the midfield general that is missing in the whole league.
    or
    John Barnes (woy would probably play him as right back in the reserves)
    or
    Big Jan imagine him passing to torres.

head wins (just about) and would take Souness. would then push Stevie up to play off FT

would like Bob back to manage as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Man United

Roy Keane

No explanation needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Sol Campbell, the real one though, not the fake one from last year :pac:

Or Vieira

Or King Thierry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Johner wrote: »
    zolaDM2506_468x448.jpg

Of course... one of the best (if not simply 'the' best) players to ever pull on a Chelsea jersey... be the best thing ever to have Zola back at his peak among the team now... Be absolutely animal!!!

Honorable Mentions:

-Ron Harris (legend; a defender's defender and a captain's captain...)

-Dennis Wise (as above; legend and a captain's captain)

-Bobby Tambling (goal getter extraordinaire; Chelsea's all time highest goal-scorer)

-Gianluca Vialli (yet another heroic Italian)

-Arjen Robben (I always thought he was class and was nearly heartbroken when he left!)

-Kerry Dixon (the bright star of the 1980's which was a dark time for Chelsea)

-Peter Osgood (Ossie; enough said)

-Roberto diMatteo (the smiling Italian; lethal at all times)

-Mark Hughes (United fans may also lay a claim to him, but we also got many's a good memory from the Welsh assassin!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Club: Sligo Rovers

Player: Seamus Coleman

Reason: We would have won the league with him this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Man United - George Best

Well ahead of his time he was and he made the number 7 at United what it is today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

A.C. Milan.

Paolo Maldini.

Milan's only problem right now is our defence. A 25 year old Paolo Maldini would sort out our glaringly obvious left full problem. We'd have him for another 15 years too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Club: Blackburn Rovers

Player: Damien Duff

The OP wants goals and I understand that but I believe we have the players capable of putting chances away if they get them. The big problem at Rovers right now is the lack of creativity. Damien Duff was just awesome for Rovers and a player who can take the ball and beat players and set others up is what we are badly missing. I think the Duff of 2000-2005 would give Blackburn a shot at cracking the top 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Arsenal : Dennis bergkamp

If anyone could place a defense splitting pass when 11 men are deep and behind the ball it was bergkamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

DazMarz wrote: »
    Of course... one of the best (if not simply 'the' best) players to ever pull on a Chelsea jersey... be the best thing ever to have Zola back at his peak among the team now... Be absolutely animal!!!
    At his peak? When was that exactly? He had his highest-scoring season when he was 36! The man's a legend and defo gets my vote for Chelsea.

Wanderers: Daz of ten years ago
    Atleti: Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Damir Maricic - go figure that one out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Club: Sligo Rovers

Player: Seamus Coleman

Reason: We would have won the league with him this season

Ah to be fair Alan Keane had a great season

I think we would have won the league if we had Jim Lauchlan for the whole season
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

eagle eye wrote: »
    Club: Blackburn Rovers

Player: Damien Duff

The OP wants goals and I understand that but I believe we have the players capable of putting chances away if they get them. The big problem at Rovers right now is the lack of creativity. Damien Duff was just awesome for Rovers and a player who can take the ball and beat players and set others up is what we are badly missing. I think the Duff of 2000-2005 would give Blackburn a shot at cracking the top 8.

Saw him play for Balckburn again Spurs on Jan 1st 2002, he ran the show.

By far the best player on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I see that a Forest fan has already nabbed him but:

Club - Southend United

Player - Stanley Victor Collymore

article-1102738-00E8270400000190-742_468x404.jpg

Should have dominated English football for a decade. Should have been England's Ronaldo. Could do everything the big Brazilian could do and he just made the game look so easy, like he was a man playing football with kids. Never better than his six months and 30 games at Southend where he and Barry Fry hauled the Club from relegation certainties in the old First Division (the old old Second Division!) to mid-table. Still loved in that little corner of Essex to this day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Nobby Solano. I had the pleasure of meeting him before. Absolute gentleman who loved the club, city and the people. Delight to watch him play on a football pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Boskowski wrote: »
    Damir Maricic - go figure that one out

As far as I can see he played 9 games for Hajduk Split when they won the league in 1978-79!!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

But what an incredible nine matches they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

gustavo wrote: »
    Ah to be fair Alan Keane had a great season

I think we would have won the league if we had Jim Lauchlan for the whole season
    :cool:

Oh ya Keano had a great season. Put away some very important penalites, if we get one on Sunday he will be confident.

Can ya imagine if Seamus came back, he would be running the pitch:)

Seriously though if Padraig Almond had of stayed we could have got those extra 6 points, he's an absolute goal machine.

Ya Jim Lauchlan has been a great leader for the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Gillington wrote: »
    As far as I can see he played 9 games for Hajduk Split when they won the league in 1978-79!!!?

He graced the Oberliga Berlin for a couple of seasons and was the best playmaker to play for Tennis Borussia ever. Sure that was 3rd division and he never really cut it above that but what a player for us he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

peabutler wrote: »
    Club:Arsenal
    Player: Pascal Cygan
    Reason: One of the finest defenders i've ever seen, they way he played offside made strikers look foolish. Bad Linesmen screwed him in the end.

All the times i watched him playing and i could never figure out which was his stronger foot, how he made it to play for Arsenal keeps me playing every Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

the greatest captain we ever had:

Billy Bremner

The reason is he would quite obviously, sort out our midfield. but more than that, he's the best player to ever play for us, an incredible man.

And his name is Billy Bremner
    We will never forget his deeds
    He was made to play for Scotland
    Now he captains United of Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

NamePaul Mc Grath

Club St pats

Could just see the lad was special , played in most positions for us in the same game. Just had 1st time i ever seen a player live that was just better than everyone else on the pitch combined.

Reckon i seen him around 10 times and been like 8 he was like Pele to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Team: Ajax

Of current players we've let go, it's between Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.

Of historical players, Cruyff, duh.

Of players I always loved seeing growing up when I fell in love with Ajax, Overmars and Limanen (I'm aware Jari is still playing but not at the top level)

Right now we don't need a goalscorer but this is a tough tough question. We've had a lot of awesome players, Bergkamp, van der Sar, Neeskens, Davids, Sneijder......argh it's so tough I want them all!!!!

Ok I'll plump for 1: Litmanen. He could do anything, tackle, score, weight a pass beautifully....best playmaker I've ever seen play live and probably best player I've ever seen live fullstop. Unreal.

Advertisement