Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to know if I fit my bike?

• 09-11-2010 4:49pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

I have a pretty basic entry level mens racing bike which Ive put about 1000 miles up on since February. (triathlon use more than plain old cycling). Using flat pedals (yeah, I know). Its a 20" frame and Im 5'6" and female. It seemed just fine, but my knowledge of bikes could fit on the head of a pin anyway.

Last weekend I borrowed a Specialized Ruby womens bike for a race, it had noticably higher bars and was just a better fit for me all around. I had been having problems with pain in the back of my knees after using my own bike, but with this one, I was fine.

The cost of my own bike wouldnt justify getting a bike fit done, and I plan to trade up to something shiny and carbon for my races next year anyway, (but only once I master cleats, of course). :)

My local bike shop are a bit 'meh' about how the bike fits me because I didnt buy it there. So the reason for the post is to find out how or where I can get advice on seeing if my bike fits, and how I can gain a bit more knowledge so that I buy the right bike for me when I trade up in the spring.

Apologies for any obvious lack of cycling knowledge in this post. Bear with me, Im learning. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The results of a bike fit are fairly straightforward. It's mostly about the relative positions of your contact points (feet, arse, hands).

This can be expressed in various ways, e.g. saddle height, saddle distance behind BB, distance from saddle tip to centre of handlebars.

Once you have the fit measurements you can transfer them between bikes.

In other words, you don't need to wait until you buy an expensive bike, since the measurements will carry over. In fact you're better off doing it now, so that your next bike purchase is perfectly sized.

Suggest you get that Ruby back and set your bike up the same way.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The Ruby is in a bike shop in the UK. :D

Id need more spacers to raise my bars, and I had been told that as I got fitter :rolleyes:, theyd need to be lowered, not raised. Another main difference I did notice is the distance between the saddle and the bars.

I get what youre saying but Id rather put any money I have into a new bike rather than an expensive bike fit on my existing one.

Oryx wrote: »
    So the reason for the post is to find out how or where I can get advice on seeing if my bike fits, and how I can gain a bit more knowledge so that I buy the right bike for me when I trade up in the spring.
    Lumen wrote: »
    you don't need to wait until you buy an expensive bike, since the measurements will carry over. In fact you're better off doing it now, so that your next bike purchase is perfectly sized.
    I get what youre saying but Id rather put any money I have into a new bike rather than an expensive bike fit on my existing one.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If I had my time over again since I started cycling proper I would get a bike fit, as Lumen said its irrelevant what bike you have the fitting is for the rider. Its a bit like saying I think my shoes are the wrong size for me because I have a lot of pain when I wear them, but they are cheap so there is no point doing anything about it!
    I'm cycling for nearly 4 years now and am still adjusting the various set ups on my bikes....... Hmmmmm, I may just take my own advice:rolleyes:

:confused:
    I know I can pay for a bike fit, I read threads here on it already. But its costly, right?

Basically, Im a biking lemon. I dont understand how a bike should fit, and I need it explained in laymans terms. I dont feel like Im good enough to benefit properly from a professional bike fit, yet anyway, its a cycling inferiority complex. And after a year of buying kit, Im also broke. Hoping to get a bike in March, but till then the budget is tight. Hence the post looking for any kind of info I can get on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What do you do just go into a bike shop and ask them for a fitting? Will they look at you like you're a madman if its just a cheap hybrid you're on at the time or can you do it yourself with an online guide?

Ah, right. You want a free bike fit. :pac:

This is very easy for any experienced cyclist to do in person, at least for a decent ballpark fit. You just need to find one.

We can do it over the internet but that would involve you posting pictures of yourself on a bike, which most people are not comfortable with. :D

Alternatively, there are eleventy million resources on the internet on bike fitting: websites, youtube videos, the lot.

My experience of derailleur adjustment based on youtube vids and online tutorials wasnt good. :) Cycling has been like any new thing you gotta learn, seems simple to anyone who already knows it, but for me trying to learn the the basics its been like learning a black art.

Ah, I need an experienced cyclist, do I? *looks around*

Anyone into bikes that I asked in person has said 'looks fine to me' which aint helping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I adjusted my saddle myself a while ago so that my knees were just slightly bent when fully extended on the pedals like most guides tell you to do, but now Ive got a horrible feeling that my speedometer spends more time around 29-30 whereas before it was more 31-32 kph but that could just be in my head because of the changing seasons etc, I think Ill just ask in an LBS tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I'm doing a group bike fit down here in Waterford and I'm getting two people to come down from Dublin to do it, and they are charging 65 a head for it..

Make of that what you will, I'm certain it's worth it.

• Advertisement

That I could probably afford. :) Must see if my club would do similar.

That I could probably afford. :) Must see if my club would do similar.

If you can afford €65 you might be able to afford €80 for a video bike fit from IrishFit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I think this is supposed to be the best online bikefit calculator?

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

If you can afford €65 you might be able to afford €80 for a video bike fit from IrishFit.

That 65 is a Video Bike Fit..

Thanks guys. This is great info. Thought it was dearer, for a start. Might talk my club into booking someone to come down to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I got this done in Wheelworx recently and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

Fitter wasn't either of the two referenced on site, fitter complained about suitability of equipment during the fit, and the promised print out of measurements was not provided. All in all the 90 quid it cost me doesn't compare favourably to video based systems which cost less in the likes of http://irishfit.ie/bikesetup.html

The most important thing of all - the fit itself? I am comfortable on the bike, but it doesn't look right, the bike doesn't look right and I feel I'm going to have to go again.

Advertisement