Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulin Pens

Options
  • 09-11-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I left this question to last minute but the memory does slip... :(
    Anyhow, question about different injection pens available. I've my check up tomorrow and I'm considering the basal bolus method that they've mentioned to me previously.
    They never gave me any liturare on it though and I'm wondering can you get pens that are smaller in size than the ones that I use now, NovoPen 3? I'm thinking that carrying that pen around in your pocket (esp. jeans!) is a bit of a nuisance and as for with the case it's prtty much a no go.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As you can see here they are all pretty much the same size http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_treatments/insulin_pens.php

I have two types of pen, pre-filled for Levemir and Novo-Pen 3 with carts for Novorapid, they are both the same size, but the pre-filed design is somewhat lighter. I'd say you could wear one in a chest pocket without any bother. The problem is ambient temps, any liquid worn next to the body will quickly get warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

Thanks for that link.
    The first two pens look nice, I only wonder if they'll have a choice at the hospital, will try to find out more tomorrow. It's the length rather than the thickness that is most awkward - it would be nice if there was a pen available that only needed a 1.5ml cartridge I shall see...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They are basically all about the same size, although I did just get given some new Humulog pens where the new design is a couple of cm shorter. That is just down to the manufacturer coming up with a new design though.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

I was in yesterday and I requested my routine to be changed. They've given me flexpens to use first but I can change to the novopen cartridges if I want. Although the novopen is slightly longer I think I'll be picking it, don't like the look of the disposible ones! We'll see.
    I hope to be starting the new routine this evening, wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I was in yesterday and I requested my routine to be changed. They've given me flexpens to use first but I can change to the novopen cartridges if I want. Although the novopen is slightly longer I think I'll be picking it, don't like the look of the disposible ones! We'll see.
    I hope to be starting the new routine this evening, wish me luck!

the disposable ones are great tho, I have little caches of them stashed in fridges all over ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement