Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VRT and specs for camper conversion

• 09-11-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

In face of all the rubbish round commercial tax I've decided to get my van converted before the end of Dec.

I was wondering what was the minimum spec needed for the engineers report as in:
    windows both sides / any min sizes?
    Porta loo?
    Gas barrell in locker
    Sink and cooker etc.

Also I'm hearing varying stories round VRT, some people will tell you you need to pay customs in Rosslare, others will tell you because you're already registered you don't need to pay for the change of purpose?
    Anyone know the full story?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Presuming your van is already an irish registered vehicle then you are looking for a reclassification of the vehicle. It used to be a trip to the VRO, but now it's a form to send off with some pics to customs in rosslare. Most reclassifications don't require payment.

No need for a porta-loo. Gas Barrell in a locker is not a necessity but it must be secured, a locker would be a better and safer option.

You'll need a sink and 2-hob cooker and that's the lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So would I be better of declaring my NI reg conversion as a van now in the ROI, paying the €50 VRT and then just re-classifying it once the conversion is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭anronmor

cheers for that,
    I thought I'd need windows on both sides etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

So would I be better of declaring my NI reg conversion as a van now in the ROI, paying the €50 VRT and then just re-classifying it once the conversion is done?

Depends on the weight of the van - if it is over 3 ton, it'll be a flat rate of €50 regardless of whether it's a camper or not (this is due to change in Jan 2011 and VRT will be considerably higher). If it's under 3 ton then there is a good chance that a van valued as a camper will have a higher OMSP meaning higher VAT rate when converting.

I dug out an old thread on the topic:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055586705

See post #14 in particular.
    anronmor wrote: »
    cheers for that,
    I thought I'd need windows on both sides etc?

I haven't heard of anyone not getting the reclassification for no side windows, having back windows may suffice. But don't quote me on it! The only thing I've people getting refused on is pop-tops and no access to habitibal area.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭anronmor

Cheers again Steve
    I guess it might be that no one was refused on no windows because no one tried it.
    I guess the windows will have to go in - not sure I want to be the first refused or give revenue an excuse to charge me a load for re classification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

In theory this is the definition you have to meet

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/act/pub/0009/sec0072.html

"'motor caravan' means a vehicle which is shown to the satisfaction of the Commissioners to be designed, constructed or adapted to provide temporary living accommodation which has an interior height of not less than 1.8 metres when measured in such manner as may be approved by the Commissioners and, in respect of which vehicle, such design, construction or adaptation incorporates the following permanently fitted equipment—

( a ) a sink unit,

( b ) cooking equipment of not less than a hob with 2 rings or such other cooking equipment as may be prescribed, and

( c ) any other equipment or fittings as may be prescribed;".

In practice, they work from these guidelines

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/vehicle-registration-tax/index.html

from the pdf for section 1

1.2.2.2 Motor Caravans
    Motor caravans (as defined in s130 F.A.1992) that exceed 3,000 kilograms unladen
    weight are classified as Category C vehicles. Those weighing 3,000 kilograms or less
    unladen weight, which meet the motor caravan definition, are classified as Category
    B.
    To be deemed a motor caravan a vehicle must, amongst other criteria, have an interior
    roof height of not less than 1.8 metres. Vehicles that are fitted with pop-up or
    adjustable roofs should have this measurement taken with the roof in its lowest
    position and where the roof slopes the interior roof height should be measured at its
    lowest point. They must also contain a sink and a two-ring cooker as minimum
    equipment.
    It should be noted that vehicles that provide temporary living accommodation but fail
    to come within the definition of motor caravans may be classified as Category A
    vehicles.

Advertisement