Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How common and/or beneficial are QR codes on business cards?

• 09-11-2010 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'd just like to throw out the question as to how common, amongst entrepreneurs and business owners, is it to have a QR code integrated into their business card? Are QR codes, whether integrated on the business cards or into the eBusiness site, beneficial?

I appreciate all feedback.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

I had to look up what a QR code was, so from my point of view - not common at all. Seriously though, I can't think of a worse way to demonstrate your individuality than giving yourself a bar code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I like J Wholesale's comment!

We have a QR code on the back of our DL flyers. Because we're an adventure company, the QR code links to one of our own YouTube kayak videos - so it's pretty visual and effective. I'd say less than 25% of people looking at the flyer know what a QR code is, but my thinking is that, those that do will choose us over a competitor (because of the 'wow factor' video; and those that don't know, wont really notice it the QR code in the first place.

The property section of the Sunday Business Post has started printing QR codes for some individual property listings.

I do think if you're going to have one of these codes it's got to link to something surprisingly visual and interesting for the user; not a web page of terms and conditions, for example!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

QR codes ....DL flyers .... For God's sake fellahs. Get real. We're not all privy to the acronyms and abbreviations that have encumbered the business world in the last few years. Put some English (or at least an explanation of what you're talking about) in the post and you've a way better chance of getting a reply that's somewhat constructive, and not like the pile of sh*te I just wrote. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Well it would all depend on your business type and how often you give out cards but, generally speaking, I can't see it making much odds anyway.

Do you make many sales by giving out your business card?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Massively depends on business. For a high-end law firm and marketing company, it would be a huge mistake. For a technology driven or social media company, quite common. Looking at your website, it seems appropriate enough but maybe not be necessary as they take up space and as has been mentioned above, don't get much use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eCubation

Thanks for all the comments and replies. I agree that the QR code, or quick response code, is definitely not not exactly in the mainstream.. just yet.

I do agree it's use is biased towards what industry the business is in. So I've seen it used in Property supplements, Graphic Designer, Technology and Media Consultants business cards.

I use scan life as my application of choice to scan QR codes. But I haven't had that many opportunities of seeing too many other QR codes, scanning them and then engaging with the served-up content.

It's proposed to be placed on the back of my business card so space wouldn't be a big issue. My Business card would be very important for networking and establishing genuine leads, otherwise I simply wouldn't give it out. It's not a numbers game for me i.e. I only want a limited number of my ideal clients to make my business a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Where are you going to direct the QR code on your card to? Your website or perhaps your LinkedIn profile?
    If it suits your business then i think its a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't see the point of putting it on a business card or flyer, as by that time the potential client already has a copy of your details. I'd have thought that using it on posters / billboards etc would make more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

eoin wrote: »
    I don't see the point of putting it on a business card or flyer, as by that time the potential client already has a copy of your details. I'd have thought that using it on posters / billboards etc would make more sense.

Saves valuable seconds - a quick scan with a phone to gather all of the contact info you need is much more useful than having a flyer or card alone, but as mentioned earlier, it really depends on what line of business you are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

If your target market is 13-30 then I'd probably put it on there.

• Advertisement

There are so many different uses for QR codes but I'm specifically discussing their use on business cards to engage more with my target audience i.e. where a potential client would scan the code to import my business contact information.

It does depend on the target market and the business sector but it also raises the whole debate about whether or not to print on both sides of a business card.

I know they have a wide range of uses, such as these "101 Uses for QR codes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Not to knock the link but there's a lot of rubbish ideas there. E.g. a qr code on your Hoover to launch a youtube vid on how to change the belt. :/ and there isn't much else there that a half decent domain or even a service like bit.ly wouldn't solve.

There are good uses for qr codes but I don't really see any big advantage of one on a business card -other than a bit of novelty. As already mentioned, at that point the customer already has your details. Might be good to have one on taxi flyers or takeaway menus.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

QR codes have been with us for years.

The Japanese adopted them big style a few years back. I had some business cards printed two yeas back with a QR code on the back. People looked at me like I had two heads.

The particular QR code I used was a VCard one. You took the picture and (symbian at the time) phone would simply reply - 'Add to Contacts' presto - I was in their phone contacts in one click and a "yes", Name phone, email - no typing.

But the struggle to get people to try/adopt - I'd rather roll rocks up a hill.

Was going to try them on auctioneer boards (outside houses on the for sale sign) - but along came location based services - esp the iphone - so that sank quickly (and it had other difficulties)

Edit: you can now, as the tec has adopted, integrate them into other images - the also work in colour, certain ones, which i tried and it took the b/w stark look off them!

Thanks

Advertisement