Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Sponership How And Where?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi all just wondering how this works and what kinda job you wuld need to have, also where would i find sites that us employeers are looking to sponser some one over there as i want to move there i do IT here in ireland so just wondering what way this would work out and where would i start thanks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Sponsorship is effectively when a company declares that they cannot find someone suitable enough to work for them and have to outsource to another country. They would have to prove that they have seeked employment from within their country and that you qualify. They then have a lot of forms and paper work to fill and it usually costs the company about $4k for the visa.

Every year there is a cap to how many H1B visas are available (usually 65k I think) but this year, just over half were taken when previous years they usually run out within the first month.

I am 100% sure there is no website or company with a list of companies looking to sponsor in IT. It is probably the worst time to sponsor and with the 10% rate of unemployment in the US already there is a lot to look through within the country alone.

The best way to find sponsorship is to apply for jobs in companies that have previously sponsored (usually large companies) and go over on the visa waiver program for some interviews.

The whole process from applying for a job to the day you start can take up to a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mistermister

This company issues lots of H1B visas

http://www.cyberthinkinc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Thanks for the info thats great, i missed out on the the lottery visa so just trying to work out how to go about over there and livng what my options are its a long term plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

This company issues lots of H1B visas

http://www.cyberthinkinc.com/

I'd be careful of somewhere like this, technically you are supposed to be an employee on a H1B and not contracted out. One of the reasons we haven't reached the cap this year is the general economy the other is that there has been a huge crackdown on contracting H1Bs (there were a lot of companies bringing Indians in this way).

I was thinkign of saving 20k dollars and go over for the year see what happens aswell, im saving away just want a plan of action or options before i go over.

• Advertisement

I was thinkign of saving 20k dollars and go over for the year see what happens aswell, im saving away just want a plan of action or options before i go over.

You can't, there is no visa option that allows you to live in the US even if you are not working. For 20k you could do a college course, some F1s allow OPT (optional practical training) which allows you to work for up to a year in a job related to your degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

When you are past 90 days you are illegal, you're only chance then is basically getting married and that process takes a while. Even if it panned out you couldn't leave while everything is getting processed.
    If you are there illegally from the start you can't (or at the very least it's near impossible) get a job that will lead to sponsorship. Any work you do will be illegal, if you can work in a bar you can make decent money. The days of going over and doing labouring type work and doing well are gone.
    Contact the crowd below. Bottom line is you are playing a dangerous game going into the US illegally, consider Canada or mainland Europe.
    http://www.eiic.org/

lets say the marriage thing could be done alright if it was a last resort just seeing is there other ways around it. I think you get a temporary working visa once your married do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

lets say the marriage thing could be done alright if it was a last resort just seeing is there other ways around it. I think you get a temporary working visa once your married do you?

If you come in on a tourist visa and then get married and apply for a working visa you are going to need to be able to prove that you and the other person have a long term relationship. Also, if you get caught at this you get put on a bad list and it is almost impossible to get any kind of visa afterwards. I would strongly recommend NOT doing this.

But if im genuinly marrying that person to be with them and live with them and work as a us citizen would this not count?

• Advertisement

There are a lot of people that get married just to get a green card so they are very strict on researching relationship history and stuff. If you have been dating a US citizen for a while and have things like email trails, phone records and plane tickets proving you have been in a relationship you should be able to get a visa.

However, they still get really twitchy if you come in on a holiday visa and get married. You should instead apply for a fiancée visa as I think (not 100% sure) that lets you work and then you have 6 months to get married. There are a lot of crazy rules around it though so I would check the website for the US department of state - http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

thanks for that ya laws are a bit mad alright, i can understand why there so strict aswell.

But if im genuinly marrying that person to be with them and live with them and work as a us citizen would this not count?

Entering on the VWP with the intent to adjust status is illegal. You don't get citizenship through marriage you get a green card.

Another option would be to do a postgrad course in Ireland which would then make you eligible for a year-long J1.

ah i see so a greencard just lets you work legally in the US but do you have to wait a cetian amount of years to get citizenship? if you get a greencard through the lottery once you move over there do you not get a different passport?

ah i see so a greencard just lets you work legally in the US but do you have to wait a cetian amount of years to get citizenship? if you get a greencard through the lottery once you move over there do you not get a different passport?

Greencard makes you a legal permanent resident, 5 years later you can become a citizen if you choose (assuming you have maintained your residency through this time).

Ah i see the tricky bit is getting the ggreen card tho as the only options are, sponerhip, marriage or knowing a relative to sponser you to live there?

I think you have to have lived in the US for several years before you can apply for citizenship. Not sure how accurate this is but it seems comprehensive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_nationality_law

A green card does not effect your citizenship. You would still be an Irish citizen you would just have permission to work and reside in the US. A green card is for permanent residents in the US so it is different that just a work visa.

thanks for the help i suppose all i can do is save now and im going to do another computer coarse so i can get a good job over there next problem is getting the greencard ha.

thanks for the help i suppose all i can do is save now and im going to do another computer coarse so i can get a good job over there next problem is getting the greencard ha.
    What are your qualifications at the moment? H1b requires a minimum of a degree and realistically you need specialized expertise over and above that.

Ive a degree done in IT so thats where i was hoping to get work in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ive a degree done in IT so thats where i was hoping to get work in.

Put your CV together, put it on monster.com, I think there is a setting on the profile that you can specify that you require sponsorship to work in the US.

See if anyone bites

If you manage to get a H1B you can then immediately start the legal process of getting a 'green card' through the adjustment of status process
    This is a long and expensive legal process.

While on a H1B you can of course apply for a 'green card' through the lottery also.

Been on monster for 3 months still nothing applied for everything and not one palce has got back to je its depressing ha.

If you manage to get a H1B you can then immediately start the legal process of getting a 'green card' through the adjustment of status process
    This is a long and expensive legal process.

On a H1B your employer still has to sponsor you for a green card, and they are under no obligation to do so.

Ya i was thinkign that like im on monster now lookign at jobs in miami and san diego theres so many there i could do ive applied for like 30 jobs in each state every 5 days and still heard nothing its mad.

Ya i was thinkign that like im on monster now lookign at jobs in miami and san diego theres so many there i could do ive applied for like 30 jobs in each state every 5 days and still heard nothing its mad.

US unemployment = 9.6%
    Florida unemployment = 11.9%
    California unemployment = 12.4%

You've picked two states that are must suffering in the current economic climate. Remember once a qualified US citizen applies for the same job as you you won't get it, sponsorship is for filling jobs that they can't find suitably skilled US citizens for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Plus, you'd better have a killer cover letter and resume posted.

Anything short of a highly professional presentation and perfect English will kill your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Just an FYI about recruitment websites, most (by some accounts) of the postings for job offers are actually by head-hunting firms who are just using them to swell their database size of resumes/CV for clients. This, of course, is a great time for them to get easy access to talented people who they will use once the economy rebounds. For now, you could be better off contacting a company directly, through someone you know especially, and in person preferably, even while on a visitor visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Ah i see the tricky bit is getting the ggreen card tho as the only options are, sponerhip, marriage or knowing a relative to sponser you to live there?

What's this about getting a relative to sponser you? Any details here?

GiftofGab wrote: »
    What's this about getting a relative to sponser you? Any details here?

The must be an immediate relative, i.e. spouse, parent, sibling or child. Even in this case there are long waits for some categories (i.e. 8-10 years for a married child over 21) but some (e.g. spouse) have visa numbers available immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 MossNyc

Hi all just wondering how this works and what kinda job you wuld need to have, also where would i find sites that us employeers are looking to sponser some one over there as i want to move there i do IT here in ireland so just wondering what way this would work out and where would i start thanks?

Hey everyone , i just want to add a little of my experience and perspective to this thread.

First off, everyone forget about h1b sponsorship from ireland. Unless you are working for a US company in Ireland ( then you would also have an option of an L1) or you have a friend or relative who owns a business in your field and is willing to sponsor you, forget it

The vast majority of people sponsored for a h1b are either here as a student or on a training visa or an LI. Unless you are supremely talented nobody is going to go through the burden of hiring you over a person who is already in the US legally. Also just because a company sponsors you for a h1 you still have to get approved and do the interview. This is not as simple as it sounds

The only real option is the j training visa. Getting to the US and being here legally is the first step , after that its much easier to get sponsored or transfer to another visa.

Also apply for the Greencard lotter. Apply and then forget about it

Dont even consider being illegal. I have friends here who are illegal and it makes your life so difficult. No drivers license , no health insurance and constant fear of the police. While getting married to a citizen is a path to a greencard it can be a long drawn out process which is hugely difficult for both peopel . Also the interview can be a nightmare.

If you overstay by 1 day the next time you come back to the US you will get stopped and trigger an automatic 10 year ban. Even if you found somebody to marry you could be here for years illegally and that means no trips home for weddings funerals birthdays etc. Its a tough life. I was once on b1 extensions of stay for 18 months without leaving the states. Its not easy to do.

Not trying to put you down but this is not a simple process and you need to be ready for the reality of the situation

Advertisement