Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Sponership How And Where?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

MossNyc wrote: »
    The only real option is the j training visa. Getting to the US and being here legally is the first step , after that its much easier to get sponsored or transfer to another visa.
    If you are in academia, science or engineering I thing graduate school in the US is also a viable option. Many come with stipends, it's a chance to experience the US and develop contacts in your field. Also F1 visas have OPT (optional practical training) which allows you to work for a year in your field post-graduation.

Dont even consider being illegal. I have friends here who are illegal and it makes your life so difficult. No drivers license , no health insurance and constant fear of the police. While getting married to a citizen is a path to a greencard it can be a long drawn out process which is hugely difficult for both peopel . Also the interview can be a nightmare.
    +1
    Driver's licenceses in particular are becoming a big problem as the law has changed recently. A lot of illegals who currently have one will find that they won't be able to renew it when it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Hey folks, figured my questions is in the same vein so didn't start a new thread.

Currently in the US on J-visa which is up next year, my employer has mentioned getting me a H-visa but I'm not too fond of the job. Obviously with the way things are at home, it's hard to say no but at the same time I can't see myself staying in this for longer than I have too. If I was to get the H-visa and immediately seek a greencard through the company what sort of wait time would I be expecting, 2-3 years I'm thinking although I've heard they're trying to streamline the process a little bit to get it reduced?

An employment based greencard is an EB visa, you've first got to figure out which category you fit in as the wait times are different. See the current visa bulletin, they are currently processing those in EB-3 with priority dates of jan 05. Once your priority date becomes current it takes up to a year to do the paperwork too.

An EB visa is not the same as getting a H-visa and applying for a greencard through that though is it?

EDIT: So it's a matter getting the H-visa and then submitting your I-140 and moving to the EB visa correct? I'd be EB-3 which you're saying is currently almost 6 years behind?

spideog7 wrote: »
    An EB visa is not the same as getting a H-visa and applying for a greencard through that though is it?

EDIT: So it's a matter getting the H-visa and then submitting your I-140 and moving to the EB visa correct? I'd be EB-3 which you're saying is currently almost 6 years behind?

EB visa is an employment based greencard, often employers will file for H1B first to get you over and started while you are waiting for your priority date to become cuurent.

It's hard to guesstimate the wait as it depends on how many people are in the queue in front of you, the visa bulletin is issued every 3 months and categories can remain stagnant or jump forward s good few months.

• Advertisement

Ah that's grand thanks. The fact that it's in the region of years means it's something I'm not willing to do. I'd have to be taking the job for the job itself rather than as a means to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So is there any way I could live and work in the us for a year? Or what's the longest I could live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

GiftofGab wrote: »
    So is there any way I could live and work in the us for a year? Or what's the longest I could live there?

Well it depends. As has been mentioned several times on this thread alone, there are several ways, it just depends on what you're qualified for. Are you eligible for a visa through a relative? Have you recently finished college? Do you know of a prospective US company who would be willing to hire you and sponsor you for a visa?

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Well it depends. As has been mentioned several times on this thread alone, there are several ways, it just depends on what you're qualified for. Are you eligible for a visa through a relative? Have you recently finished college? Do you know of a prospective US company who would be willing to hire you and sponsor you for a visa?

I have a degree in Agricultural Engineering and a Postgrad Higher Diploma in Business. By the time I'll be looking to travel I'll have a years experience in Banking. So the banking industry would be my ideal position but I'll work at anything really. Just looking to see the us really.

No, I don't have a prospective US company and I'm not keeping my hopes up really. I heard it can be near impossible to get someone to sponsor you when unemployment is so high in the us right now.

I have an uncle and some cousins in the us.

If you've graduated within the last 12 months, you're eligible for the IWT visa or the internship visa. There are several companies who offer one or both of these including SAYIT, USIT, go4less, IIC, and Intrax. The other alternative, which might suit you better if you're not going for another year and you're out of the 12 months from graduating, is the training visa. There's a perfect summary of the training and internship visas here.

Also, are you looking to work or just travel? If you are Irish, you can travel up to 90 days without a visa (although you must fill out the ESTA) but you will not be able to work.

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    If you've graduated within the last 12 months, you're eligible for the IWT visa or the internship visa. There are several companies who offer one or both of these including SAYIT, USIT, go4less, IIC, and Intrax. The other alternative, which might suit you better if you're not going for another year and you're out of the 12 months from graduating, is the training visa. There's a perfect summary of the training and internship visas here.

Also, are you looking to work or just travel? If you are Irish, you can travel up to 90 days without a visa (although you must fill out the ESTA) but you will not be able to work.

Alright thanks for that lil lisa. For the training offer that site says "must have training offer from U.S. host company" so what do you mean when you say several companies offer one of both of these? My guess is that I would still need a company to sponsor me.

Well I would be going mainly for working but I'd still like to go over there first, travel then get a job. Ideally I could stay for a year and do another bit of travelling before going home.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Well I would be going mainly for working but I'd still like to go over there first, travel then get a job. Ideally I could stay for a year and do another bit of travelling before going home.

The visa can only be issued in Ireland, you can only travel over 30 days before it starts and stay 30 days after your job ends.

Several companies offer one or more of the three types of one year visas. For eg, SAYIT only offer the internship and training visa but not the IWT. Basically, for the internship and training visa you must have a job before you leave, but its not necessarily a "sponsor" as such. They will complete a form (DS-7002) before you begin your work and they will fill out review sheets online every couple of months. This is all they have to do, other than hire you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Not trying to put you down but this is not a simple process and you need to be ready for the reality of the situation

Have to second this post. Personally I would not recommend the US as a place to immigrate to unless its through marriage or you get lucky with the DV lottery. The employment immigration route is fraught with frustration, endless waiting and constant doubt.

Advertisement