Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I use Mtb brake pads on a hybrid?

• 09-11-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need brake pads for my bike, was going to get them done in my local bike shop next week but will not be doing so now, and instead am going to buy them online.

I was on chainreaction website, the have 2 categories " road bike brake pads" and "mtb brake pads".

My bike is a specialized sirrus and takes "v brakes" they are 60mm in length.

Can anyone advise which I should buy? They have v brakes in the mtb category ,so am I ok to go with these? Do they have to be exactly the same length as the ones on my bike now (60mm) or is a few mm either way ok?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Generally speaking there's no such thing as "road" or "MTB" brake pads, it depends on the type of brakes that you have.
    But generally speaking, Road bikes use calipers and MTBs use V-brakes, Discs or cantilevers (on older bikes), so that's why CRC splits them in two.

V-brake pads will work fine on your bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

seamus wrote: »
    Generally speaking there's no such thing as "road" or "MTB" brake pads, it depends on the type of brakes that you have.
    But generally speaking, Road bikes use calipers and MTBs use V-brakes, Discs or cantilevers (on older bikes), so that's why CRC splits them in two.

V-brake pads will work fine on your bike.

Thanks for the quick helpful reply Seamus.

Must I get 60mm again or is it important?

Also I understand "v brakes" is just a brand name that shimano own, do other companies make similar brakes and what would they be called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most places call them V-brakes, but they can also be known as linear-pull or direct-pull brakes.

Don't know much about pad sizing. 60mm (6cm) sounds like the length of the pad, so you shouldn't have much hassle if you get something very close to that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

If you're to buy them online, you want those (free delivery to Ireland). They have a very good braking power, but mostly, hardly loose their efficiency in wet weather. I haven't seen this with any other pad. And they're very friendly with your rims. But as with all good quality pads, they do wear quicker.

Also, as it seems you're a beginner, I would advice you to have the pads carefully fitted. Fitting v-brake pads does require some know-how, which tends to be overlooked, thus having the brakes not operating at their full potential. But V-brakes are actually extremely powerful brakes (for rim brakes), if properly adjusted. Ask a friend who knows how, go to your LBS, or look for one of the many tutorials on the web to do it yourself (the first few times it will take some time and patience).

Advertisement