Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepted a job - 2nd offer?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Bit of a potential problem here...

I've been out of work for a year and have been applying to anything that I thought may be suitable.

Well I've finally been offered a job and am supposed to start next week :) The problem is that I'm after getting a call to interview for a different job this week! This 2nd job would be the much better option (permanent, closer to home, more money), so now I'm worried about what I'd do if they were to offer it to me.

I'm not being cocky or counting chickens before they hatch, but what happens if they were to offer it after I've started in the first place?

Should I cancel the interview? Should I be upfront about the other job? Say nothing and wait and see?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you're offered job 2 you hand in your resignation at work 1 and explain why in a calm manner and that you're very sorry for the problem caused. Most companies while not happy about it will understand it.

Until then though stick tight and wait but give job 2 the real notice of your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Nody wrote: »
    If you're offered job 2 you hand in your resignation at work 1 and explain why in a calm manner and that you're very sorry for the problem caused. Most companies while not happy about it will understand it.

Until then though stick tight and wait but give job 2 the real notice of your contract.

Spot on advice... Put yourself first

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Go for the Interview. You may not be offered the job at all but you are in a great position of having a job to go to anyway.

If you are offered the 2nd job after the interview it is a very nice problem to have. Good Luck.

Advertisement