Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato Bread

Options
  • 09-11-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a receipe for Tomato Bread - and is it difficult to make?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Tomato Bread

t_200.jpgPrintable recipe card
    A delicious sandwich bread for that special lunch. The soft interior is lush and flavorful with a crispy crust that would make any sandwich a star.
    Ingredients

Night Before :
    • 1 cup bread flour
    • 1/2 cup room temp water
    • 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
    Day of:
    • 6 roasted tomatoes
    • 3 cups bread flour
    • 1/2 cup dark rye flour
    • 1/2 cup semolina
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 2 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 3/4 cup lukewarm water
    • 1 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

Method

t_01.jpgt_02.jpg IThe night before you make this bread mix together all the " Night before " ingredients together till smooth in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter for 12 to 16 hours. In the morning place this mixture into a large bowl. Add in the 3/4 cup water. olive oil, rye flour, semolina, sugar and instant yeast. Mix all together with a wooden spoon till smooth. Allow to rest uncovered for 10 minutes.
    t_03.jpgt_04.jpg Add in one cup of flour, salt and 3/4 of the roasted tomatoes into the mixture. Mix till smooth. Now, pour out onto a well floured surface.
    t_05.jpgt_07.jpg Begin to knead, slowly adding more flour. Knead for 10 minutes. After kneading add in the rest of the roasted tomatoes.
    t_08.jpgt_09.jpg Using your hands squeeze in the tomatoes. Sprinkle just a little flour on top to soak up some of the liquid from the roasted tomatoes. Knead till smooth.
    t_10.jpgt_11.jpg Add a little olive oil to a bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Turn the dough over a few times to very lightly coat all sides of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise till double, about 1 hour.
    t_12.jpgt_13.jpg Pour out dough onto a flat surface and cut in half to make two loaves.
    t_14.jpgt_15.jpg Flatten each piece of dough to remove the gas. Roll up and pinch the seam closed with your fingers. Shape into a tube. Place onto a piece of parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double, about 45 minutes. Afterwards, sprinkle a little bread flour on top and slash the tops of each loaf with a sharp knife. Place into a preheated 400 degree oven with a baking stone and a cast iron pan to create steam. To create some steam by placing a cast iron pan on the bottom of the oven the same time that you turn on the oven. Once you place the breads onto the baking stone pour about a cup of boiling water into the hot pan and close the door. Bake for 30 -35 minutes or till when tapped on the bottom of the loaf it sounds hollow. You can also stick a meat thermometer into the center and when it reads 180F it's ready. Remove and cool on a wire rack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I found this one on the supervalu website and have been making it for the last few weeks and its very tasty!

Makes 1 loaf
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
    550g of strong white flour
    7g sachet of dried yeast
    1 teaspoon of sea salt
    1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary and thyme, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    1 tablespoon of tomato paste
    8 sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped
    1/2 Pint of tepid water
    Salt and pepper

Method:
    1.Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and add the yeast sachet and sugar.

2.Add the herbs, sundried tomatoes and tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.

3.Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the water.

4.Mix all these ingredients into a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for approximately 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.

5.Then place the dough into a bowl and cover with cling film to allow the yeast to work (i.e. to prove)

6.When the dough has almost doubled in size remove it from the bowl, shape into a long sausage shape about 10 inches long x 3 inches wide and place on an oiled baking tray.

7.Grease the bread and place in a preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes at 200ºC until golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

anyone know the recipe of the Cuisine de France tomato bread - had it in a restaurant and it was gorgeously light and cripsy and ver tasty (getting hungry for some!). i've read the post below about the yeast-bread variant but just wondering if someone knows the Cdf recipe! :D

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The CDF recipe won't be like the recipes above, they use bulk fermentation AFAIK, hard to replicate in the home.
    The above recipes look great anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarenka

where do you buy semolina?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dareden

I found this one on the supervalu website and have been making it for the last few weeks and its very tasty!

I love this recipe also, I can guarantee this will go down a treat. I used dried sun dried tomatoes that you can buy in lidl. So no need to always buy the oiled ones., you can always have the other ones in the cupboard until you need them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I have the Supervalu recipe dough made about an hour ago and it's proving, or so I thought. It hasn't really risen that much. The only change I made is that I'm using stoneground strong wholemeal flour instead of regular strong flour. Is this where I went wrong? How long does it take to prove anyway? I though an hour in warm condition is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Aargh I baked it anyway even when it didn't rise that much after 2 hours.
    It looked ok but turned out doughy in the middle. Nice flavor though. It's my first attempt on bread. I'll try another tomorrow.

b569f6f27cd73c9d9d5a34be8daef614.jpg

Advertisement