Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed for case fans(please)

Options
  • 09-11-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

G`day...
    I will be ordering my new (first) build in a few weeks and was after a bit of advise on were to situate some extra fans in the case which will be a fractal f3. (see here)
    I will be running an i5 760 with a noctua nh-d14.
    saphire hd 6870. only the one for now..maybe will get another down the track.
    2 hdd drives and an optical drive and perhaps a ssd if my numbers come in this saturdays lotto:eek:

Also want to chance my arm at o`cing down the track...

The extra fans I will be purchasing will be of a noctua breed..

Any advice would be hugely appreciated;)

Cheers
    Dwighet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

g'day g'day

well bro if you are interested in silent fans which it sounds like is the case (no pun intended)

then check this site out

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

shhhh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

What fans are you getting and now many?

I'd prioritize the extra front, top exhaust and side in that order. I wouldn't pay much heed to that positive/negative pressure stuff, focus on throughput tbh, just get as much air flowing front to back as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

What fans are you getting and now many?

I'd prioritize the extra front, top exhaust and side in that order. I wouldn't pay much heed to that positive/negative pressure stuff, focus on throughput tbh, just get as much air flowing front to back as you can.
    I`ll get as many fans as it takes to get the job done...noctua fans are my preferance.
    I was thinking: the 2 stock 120 fans at the front(intake)
    140mm noctua in the side(intake)
    120 noctua at back and 120 noctua in the roof...(exhaust)

What ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

sounds about right. mine will be the same except im swapping the 2 stock front ones for noctuas as well

i believe theres a fan at the bottom though too which ill have as intake as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

dwighet wrote: »
    I`ll get as many fans as it takes to get the job done...noctua fans are my preferance.
    I was thinking: the 2 stock 120 fans at the front(intake)
    140mm noctua in the side(intake)
    120 noctua at back and 120 noctua in the roof...(exhaust)

What ya think?

Yeah, sounds good.

I personally wouldn't bother with the 140mm, I'd use the 120mm S12B wherever possible (slightly quieter), but if the fan grills are very tight you might want to put one of the P's there (think the P14 wouldn't fit on the rear exhaust so it'd have to be a p12 there, according to nvus here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

take the Fractal Design fan from the rear exhaust and replace it with a 120mm NOCTUA one of the ULN ones will work sweet there but your now free Fractal Design 120mm Fans above the one in the front (these are quieter than the NOCTUA's but less efficient) you will only need to add 140mm to the bottom for good airflow, later if your OC'n just add another 140 to the top rear (this is the hottest part of the DEFINE R3) you can another exhaust 140mm to the Top front if you think you'll need it but I doubt it, but don't add any fans on the top or sides unless you get some filters 1st I use DEMCiflex Dust Filters.

Best thing to do is buy em one at a time and test your preference but on my setup the top rear is the warmest. I am waiting on an order of a fan controller and 2 more 140mm NOCTUA's once I get em I will post the results its about 6 days away :)

My Fans where updated buddie, you can see em here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69048854&postcount=54

nvus wrote: »
    My Fans where updated buddie, you can see em here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69048854&postcount=54

Looks good..
    Im (nvus):D
    Tell me, how do you have your fans configured now?ie intake and exhaust..
    which 5 fans are connected to the new controller and do you have the other 2 hooked up to the stock controller?

The reason for the questions is that Im ordering a similar rig to yours(same case and cooler) and this is all new to me....;)

I was thinking,Bottom,2 front and side as intake and 2 roof and back as exhaust

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nice, got a fanless CPU heatsink atm, was looking to attach some 120mm case fans to either side of it. Might look into those fans

• Advertisement

Looks good..
    Im (nvus):D
    Tell me, how do you have your fans configured now?ie intake and exhaust..
    which 5 fans are connected to the new controller and do you have the other 2 hooked up to the stock controller?

The reason for the questions is that Im ordering a similar rig to yours(same case and cooler) and this is all new to me....;)

I was thinking,Bottom,2 front and side as intake and 2 roof and back as exhaust
    Sensor 1 is monitoring the CPU so I use the Fan 1 is connected to the NOCTUA NH-D14 middle fan (Its a NOCTUA NF-P14 FLX 140MM) while the 1st CPU fan is connected to the standard mother board CPU Fan point encase the other fails.
    Sensor 2 is monitoring the RAM so Fan 2 is connected to the NOCTUA NF-P14 FLX 140MM at the top of the case above the RAM & CPU as an INTAKE
    Sensor 3 is on the back of the GPU so Fan 3 is connected to the NOCTUA NF-P14 FLX 140MM on the side-panel/door as an INTAKE
    Sensor 4 is monitoring the ambient temp of the case itself and is affixed just below the motherboard above the PSU and so I used Fan 4 NOCTUA NF-P14 FLX 140MM on the bottom of the case as an INTAKE
    Sensor 5 is connected HDD at the front of the case and Fan 5 to the NF-S12B FLX 120MM Fan at the Top back of the case as an INTAKE its the warmest part of these cases but also the fastest to cool down.

I use the rheostat Fan controller that comes with the Fractal Design DEFINE R3 to control the 2 Fractal Design 120MM fans at the front and INTAKES and the back of the case an NOCTUA NF-S12B ULN 120MM as an EXHAUST

So aside from the perforations at the back of the case they're all intakes but one.
    The rheostat Fan controller works well with the Sentry as a 7 fan set-up its very quite here and very cool inside also I am using 3 140MM DEMCiflex fan filters (White) on the 2 top intakes and the side panel, those might be worth a look at too.

Sensor 1 is monitoring the CPU so I use the Fan 1 is connected to the NOCTUA NH-D14 middle fan (Its a NOCTUA NF-P14 FLX 140MM) while the 1st CPU fan is connected to the standard mother board CPU Fan point encase the other fails.
    Sensor 2 is monitoring the RAM so Fan 2 is connected to the NOCTUA NF-P14 FLX 140MM at the top of the case above the RAM & CPU as an INTAKE
    Sensor 3 is on the back of the GPU so Fan 3 is connected to the NOCTUA NF-P14 FLX 140MM on the side-panel/door as an INTAKE
    Sensor 4 is monitoring the ambient temp of the case itself and is affixed just below the motherboard above the PSU and so I used Fan 4 NOCTUA NF-P14 FLX 140MM on the bottom of the case as an INTAKE
    Sensor 5 is connected HDD at the front of the case and Fan 5 to the NF-S12B FLX 120MM Fan at the Top back of the case as an INTAKE its the warmest part of these cases but also the fastest to cool down.

I use the rheostat Fan controller that comes with the Fractal Design DEFINE R3 to control the 2 Fractal Design 120MM fans at the front and INTAKES and the back of the case an NOCTUA NF-S12B ULN 120MM as an EXHAUST

So aside from the perforations at the back of the case they're all intakes but one.
    The rheostat Fan controller works well with the Sentry as a 7 fan set-up its very quite here and very cool inside also I am using 3 140MM DEMCiflex fan filters (White) on the 2 top intakes and the side panel, those might be worth a look at too.

I bet that kept ya busy for the day...
    I have all the fans on my hit list but was scratching my head on how to manage and power them all....

That fan controller is the job...There goes another 50 quid....Doesnt matter..Herself will never find out.;)

Thanks again for your help and advice..

..Herself will never find out.;)..
    no worries mate sure we're all here for the same thing and as for the "Herself" you can unplug the touch screen remote once its al set up and keep it in a drawer or something untill later when you fake a lotto win ;)
    Then its all "Oh look what I found in a auld drawer!"

no worries mate sure we're all here for the same thing and as for the "Herself" you can unplug the touch screen remote once its al set up and keep it in a drawer or something untill later when you fake a lotto win ;)
    Then its all "Oh look what I found in a auld drawer!"
    Are you Australian(no worries mate)
    I am...8 yrs here now...
    Its hard to pull the wool over an Irish girls eyes:eek:

Advertisement