Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30" Monitor Only Runs at Half Native

Options
  • 09-11-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

I got a 30" LG W3000H today, running an nvidia 7300 GS card on W7. No matter where I try to change it, the max resolution available in the menus is 1280 x 800. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

How old is that card...it might not ne powerful enough to drive a 30" moniter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

First thing is to install the latest up to date Nvidia graphics driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

What are you using to connect the monitor? HDMI, DVI or VGA? The 7300 GS is a very weak card & may be unable to output at that high a resolution. Why it's fallen back to 1280 is a puzzle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hi sorry, should have given more detail. I am running it through DVI. My other 22" monitor is running at its full 1600 x 1080 at the same time through VGA. The card is approx 2 years old. I also got the latest driver for the card today. I guess it might be a case of needing a new card. Where would be the best bet in Dublin to get one. Cheapest one would be best as I don't need performance, just the resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Card is 4 yrs old, maybe You have it 2 yrs but its ancient tech now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_7_Series#GeForce_7900_Series

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HDMI is a non-starter and I wouldn't be surprised if most 7300GS cards only have single-link DVI either - how many monitors available four years ago were even 1080p, let alone a higher resolution?!? :o

Maybe the inability to handle the panel at its native res is causing glitching, but I think you really need to test the monitor with a newer card then either get one (€30-40 should easily do it) or RMA the monitor.

OK, thanks. Will pick one up tomorrow. Any recommendations for where to buy in Dublin City Centre?

fwiw thats 'powerstrip' program is picking up the monitor as being 1600 native.

Nowhere :(:o:p

You might luck out in Peats but just looking around it looks like everyone is charging insane amounts for new entry-level graphics right now :eek: Komplett's cheapest is €40 and even if you could pick it up from Blanch it would take a few days to come in :(

Aagh. I want to play with my new toy now dammit!

I live near here: http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

who stock this: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-4000/hd-4350/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4300-overview.aspx

Hopefully it will do the job.

Not too shabby, bit overpriced for old tech but everyone in Ireland is taking the urine at the moment anyway :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cool, it's modern enough to support my monitor though you reckon?

Yup. Just bear in mind that your case needs reasonble airflow as its a passively cooled card!

New card worked. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement