Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign exchange other than erasmus

Options
  • 09-11-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Is there any other options to do a semester/year abroad as a UCD student other than the erasmus programme?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If I've got this right, the point of Erasmus is not just the studying in other countries, it's getting credit for those studies. That means that the other institution has to meet certain standards and be in the European Credit Transfer Scheme. (You can do whatever you like if you can afford it and don't need the credits!)

There is something called International Student Exchange Programs (ISEP), but it's small and doesn't include any Irish universities. If you're a graduate there is the Fulbright Program, which offers grants to study in the USA, but competition for places is fierce.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

There's the Socrates programme for non EU, but I don't know any of the details...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 reel2real

I'd check with your faculty/school on this because what you are given on the general exchange site and exchanges for certain faculties/schools are different.

As an example, on the general exchange site, there's no options for Memorial University of Newfoundland, or McGill University, which are availble for Quinn students (Two of my friends went to Memorial and one of my friends goes to McGill University in January).

If you want any info on Canadian universities, PM me.

Memorial University Grad 2010
    Went to UCD on exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

As an undergraduate ?? Yeah, just ask your particular school. I know one girl at Northeastern in Boston.

In my personal opinion (lots of people have different views) I think a lot of people view these years abroad as some sort of holiday so be careful you don't have that mindset. If your year abroad adds an extra year onto your undegrad degree I reckon it'd be better off skipping it and applying to do a masters abroad, it'd look better on a cv and you get another qualifacation. But that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭J77

As an undergraduate ?? Yeah, just ask your particular school. I know one girl at Northeastern in Boston.

In my personal opinion (lots of people have different views) I think a lot of people view these years abroad as some sort of holiday so be careful you don't have that mindset. If your year abroad adds an extra year onto your undegrad degree I reckon it'd be better off skipping it and applying to do a masters abroad, it'd look better on a cv and you get another qualifacation. But that's just my opinion.

Good point, could definitely see people thinking that. Not really sure I want to do a masters, however I might change my mind overnight on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

You dont have to pay the fees for the other university when its Erasmus, as opposed to doing a masters abroad which could cost 10k

Advertisement