Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Warning Thursday/Friday

• 09-11-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up for those of you in the NW, a fairly nasty looking storm is heading your way on Thursday, winds will gust to about 130 km/h

I know the media totally over hyped the last storm but this has the potential to be quite serious so keep an eye on local forecasts and take care.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Taken from Weather forum, forecast by M.T. Cranium
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971&page=109
    UPDATE _ Tuesday, 10 p.m.

The model guidance for the storm on Thursday has tended to upgrade the wind potential, which was partly anticipated in the earlier forecast so at this point, I am issuing an alert with somewhat stronger wind speeds emphasized.

ALERT -- Very strong westerly winds will develop in the wake of a fast-moving front that is expected to race through Ireland late Wednesday night and early hours of Thursday. With that front, you can expect moderately strong south-southwest winds of 30-50 mph, but around 10:00h Thursday, stronger winds will develop, peaking in most areas mid-afternoon (1-4 p.m.), from a SW direction veering to W through the event, and bringing sustained winds of about 50-60 mph in exposed parts of Connacht, north/west Munster, Ulster (with gusts to 80 mph inland and 100 mph coastal and upland) with speeds just a little less severe (40-60 with peak gusts to 75) across the south and east. Some minor or even moderately severe damage is likely from winds of this strength, in a few cases large trees can be felled, and many branches might come down, also roof tiles, garden furniture and small sheds can be damaged or blown around, and hurricane force gusts (force 12 possible) over the near Atlantic would warrant extreme caution for marine interests. We're expecting peak gusts at the M4 buoy in Donegal Bay at about 65-70 knots, and would say Belmullet could hit gusts of 80 knots, Malin Head 83 knots -- these speeds should be increased by 15% for mph and nearly doubled for km/hr. The Irish Sea will also become very choppy with gusts to 60 knots (Isle of Man will be right in the strong wind max zone around 7 p.m.) and you'd be wise to check ferry and airline schedule information as delays or cancellations may develop. Although this storm will not be quite as severe along the south coast, you can expect force 9-10 winds off the south coast too.

Very large waves and swells are likely to develop and Galway Bay, Shannon estuary as well as a few other west coast bays and shorelines might experience some shore flooding (realizing that many stretches of this coast have high cliffs), consult local warnings and stay away from areas that can be reached by 30-40 ft waves along the coast during and after the peak winds.

These winds should begin to subside rather steadily by evening as they veer further to the northwest. This is all in association with a low currently rapidly deepening south of Greenland near 52N 40W expected to reach 946 mbs when north of Malin Head around 1500h Thursday (near 57N 8W). This storm will also bring similar winds to southern Scotland, Isle of Man, northwest England across to parts of northeast England late Thursday. Wales and central England will get similar wind speeds to Dublin (40-60 mph with possible higher gusts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Villain wrote: »
    Just a heads up for those of you in the NW, a fairly nasty looking storm is heading your way on Thursday, winds will gust to about 130 km/h

I know the media totally over hyped the last storm but this has the potential to be quite serious so keep an eye on local forecasts and take care.

again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Thanks for the post Villain, just went over to the Weather forum and it looks like it will be worse than last Sunday, 100mph winds on the Donegal coast is fairly major. Haven't heard anything in the press, but i suppose since it effects the north and west coast more, thats to be expected, a fart of wind in Dublin and its front page news:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Been following the weather thread a few days. Sundays storm was way over hyped by the media. E.g. Hurricane Tomas had absolutely nothing to do with Sundays storm no matter what the media said.
    Thursday storm winds will be worse. It's during the day too. School runs in the afternoon and the evening commute will be perilous. Take care folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Looking forward to this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Looking forward to this :D

Voyeurs are not appreciated..Bad storms are dangerous to many, not a source of pleasure.

Please take care in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It'll be a lot worse than the one last weekend, that one wasn't even a storm and was hugely overhyped by the media because for some reason they thought it was Hurricane Tomas (despite the fact that Tomas causing damage in Haiti that same day was one of the headlines) and as well as that there was a risk of flooding in Dublin

100mph gusts is serious stuff though and ther'll probably be some damage around the coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

glad Im not flying anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

Well Glenfin postman Michael Gallagher is predicting stormy weather over the next few weeks and we are in for a White Christmas! AGAIN!!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

UpDonegal wrote: »
    Well Glenfin postman Michael Gallagher is predicting stormy weather over the next few weeks and we are in for a White Christmas! AGAIN!!
    :)

doesnt he say that every year ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Harps wrote: »
    It'll be a lot worse than the one last weekend, that one wasn't even a storm and was hugely overhyped by the media because for some reason they thought it was Hurricane Tomas (despite the fact that Tomas causing damage in Haiti that same day was one of the headlines) and as well as that there was a risk of flooding in Dublin

100mph gusts is serious stuff though and ther'll probably be some damage around the coast

Storm on Monday night was worse, there wasnt a storm in donegal on Sunday - part of the roof of our shed was blown off on Monday night, thank goodness it was into a field and not onto the road! Be careful tomorrow - especially around trees and buildings where branches can come off and slate/tiles can be ripped off buildings! I hope it doesnt come :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Storm on Monday night was worse, there wasnt a storm in donegal on Sunday

No storm in Donegal on Sunday? There was torrential rain and vertical wind which certainly felt like gale force ... but then I guess that qualifies as normal weather for Donegal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Issued at 10 November 2010 - 12:18
    Severe weather warning
    Stormy conditions will affect Ireland Thursday afternoon, evening and for much of Thursday night.
    Gale force westerly winds will gust between 100 and 120 km/hr generally, but gusts of up to 140 km/hr are expected in exposed parts of Connacht and Ulster.These winds are likely to lead to some structural damage and will be accompanied by high seas on Atlantic coasts.Winds will moderate considerably towards dawn on Friday.
    Valid 1200hrs Thursday 11/11/10 to 0600 hrs
    Friday 12/11/10:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

oh it'll be fun trying to get to Tory!

doesnt he say that every year ?

Yes, but he predicted a white christmas last year and that it would snow during christmas day(it did) a couple of months before hand and his prediction waz right.

Not saying he going to be right again this year, but going by the media we are in for another very cold, icy winter ahead!

So watch this space!!

glad Im not flying anywhere

Stay indoors or you might just fly anyways.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

It's getting stormy here now in Carrick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I would advise those of you in the NW to stay indoors as the worst hits, have lights and heating source ready in the event of a power cut.

Stay Safe people

just heard on the radio that someone had a tree blow down outside their front door and crush their puppy =( keep pets indoors people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

danniemcq wrote: »
    just heard on the radio that someone had a tree blow down outside their front door and crush their puppy =( keep pets indoors people!
    That's awful :(
    I have the candles and torches ready, logs in for a fire and the books lined up. It's getting really wicked out there now. Batten down the hatches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whats it like up there at the mo (donegal town), was planning on heading that way later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Its really bad now in Donegal Town, savage gusts. Im having trouble securing a huge trampoline which is being thrown around. :-(

Id avoid if possible by car. Gusts are very strong on exposed parts of the motorway.

Worst Ive seen in a while.

Oh how dreadful. Poor wee dog.

Bad down here in West Cork too.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Whats it like up there at the mo (donegal town), was planning on heading that way later.

Right now i wouldn't go on any big journeys, there'll be trees down somewhere, maybe ring AA or check their site if you are still planning on giving it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Right now i wouldn't go on any big journeys, there'll be trees down somewhere, maybe ring AA or check their site if you are still planning on giving it a go

I put my head out the door, I'm staying put. Be careful out there people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

not nice in letterkenny at the mo there was a nice bit of thunder and lightning there it was like a flash bang gernade!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Its lifting the water off the surface in killybegs harbour and raining it upwards. Its mad. Enda kenny on a poitical rally in the midde of all lol. Just needs eileen magner now.

mk2 wrote: »
    not nice in letterkenny at the mo there was a nice bit of thunder and lightning there it was like a flash bang gernade!

Yes i heard that myself, its very wild out there! Lights flickering too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I am just back from a trip to Sligo its mad out there (but still the NI reg cars insist of passing out and driving at mad speeds), this is the worst I have seen in Carrick since the big storm of 1987 and from my own point of view this is the worst time to be in a house on high ground with trees at the back and side.

Thankfully the power is still on here but I fear it is a matter of time..

• Advertisement

The wind is still on the increase in donegal, very rough indeed!

Advertisement