Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c25k 2 half...

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Started c25k In May, finished in Aug and slooowly increasing my distance since then. Signed up for half in April and Aware 10K before thatin Dec.

Enjoying running altho first 4K kill me every time. ENjoy my long runs once I get past that 4/5K stage.1 5K completed and I am slow runner...penguins I think is John Bingham term but I am stil running (kind of....;))

Log might help keep me on track. Hoping to do 4 runs a week (or 3 and a class) for next 4 weeks before 10K

Sunday 7/11: LSR: 8 miles: felt great afterwards :D

Tuesday: 4.5K (in the rain and in dark..which I never do)...and apx 6 30 sec sprints in that.

Aim: run Wed/Fri/Sun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Good luck with your training and well done on your 8 miles.

Ill be following your progress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

yungwan...thanks Im following yours too! Great motivation to have a log

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs! Best of luck with the Aware 10k and the half, you're well on track if you're already running 8 miles for your long run. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the log, it does help with the motivation for sure. Also having a race goal in mind helps too. You'll be well able for the 10k next month. :)
    And the first few miles of a run used to get to me too a lot, I think it's the body's way of just finding it's rhythm.

Wednesday: Gym work (strength and cross-training)

Hoping to get out for a run tonight when OH gets home...prob just a short one but better than putting it off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on starting a log and hope the training goes well for you. Sounds like you will be in good shape for the Aware run. Which half are you doing in April?

Friday
    10K (67 mins..not bad for me)
    3/4 hills included also

Shazkea: I am doing Connemara Half in April, hence the hills tonight!

Started as 5K planned run but I am away on Sunday so thought may not get out to do LSR so do it tonight instead. Was hard going but I did it. Legs & Hips bit sore now but with this run & LSR on Sun (13K) I have 28K this week and thats more than usually do in a week : about 20 usually.

Next couple of runs be 5K before aim for 14K Sunday week :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

maria74 wrote: »
    Friday
    10K (67 mins..not bad for me)
    3/4 hills included also

Shazkea: I am doing Connemara Half in April, hence the hills tonight!

Started as 5K planned run but I am away on Sunday so thought may not get out to do LSR so do it tonight instead. Was hard going but I did it. Legs & Hips bit sore now but with this run & LSR on Sun (13K) I have 28K this week and thats more than usually do in a week : about 20 usually.

Next couple of runs be 5K before aim for 14K Sunday week :confused:

I'm in a similar position to yourself - I've signed up for the Connemara Half Marathon and am doing some training on hills.

Where do you do your hill training? My training has really stepped up a gear since I started training on hills and am looking for tougher, longer hills! So far I've done Edmondstown Road in Rathfarnham, Knockmaroon Hill in Chapelizod and Carrickgollagan near Rathmichael.

Hill training will really stand to anyone doing the Connemara Half (or Full or Ultra!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I'm in a similar position to yourself - I've signed up for the Connemara Half Marathon and am doing some training on hills.

Where do you do your hill training? My training has really stepped up a gear since I started training on hills and am looking for tougher, longer hills! So far I've done Edmondstown Road in Rathfarnham, Knockmaroon Hill in Chapelizod and Carrickgollagan near Rathmichael.

Hill training will really stand to anyone doing the Connemara Half (or Full or Ultra!).

Hell Fire Club, Bournabreena, Ticknock. These are some great places for hill training in Dublin that you could try. Find them useful in my own training

Micilin, Im taking it easy on the hills...not doing anything too steep yet. Really dislike hills but I am aiming to get to 10/11 miles before I start the real hills. At moment just building a few into my runs. Prob be Jan before I start the real stuff.

Sunday
    5Km (tried to increase overall speed.. however no real difference in overall time)

Beautiful morning for a run. Am definatly better at running in the morning. Feel much fresher and not as out of breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Hi Maria74,

So good to know that I'm not the only one who suffers badly at the beginning of my runs. I always start out thinking that I'm crazy to think I can run when I'm suffering so much. But then I'm fine after about 10-15 mins once my lungs have opened up. Then I could go on for miles and miles... not!!:D Maybe someday ;). Like you, I definitely do enjoy it though once the initial suffering has passed.

Best of luck with the Aware 10k (I'm so jealous of your 67mins :P) and the Connemara Half. I will definitely be following your progress. My husband has done the Connemara Half and he says that the atmosphere and general camaraderie on the day is brilliant.

Hi Maria74,
    So good to know that I'm not the only one who suffers badly at the beginning of my runs. I always start out thinking that I'm crazy to think I can run when I'm suffering so much. But then I'm fine after about 10-15 mins once my lungs have opened up. Then I could go on for miles and miles... not!!:D Maybe someday ;)
    [/PHP]. Like you, I definitely do enjoy it though once the initial suffering has passed.

Mary, I laughed at your comment. Today was one of those days, was definatly thinking 'What am I doing?...this is madness'. Never really got that high today...made it through 40 mins but had to stop then, no idea why but hopefully next time be better???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with the log and the training, you seem to be going well so far. I hope to do Connemara too so I’m also going to need to introduce some hills into my training.

Dijijem: seems to be a lot of us heading for the hills...Im waiting til Jan (the magic moment of new goals etc!)

Wednesday:
    Am: 6k (40 mins)
    Hard run, never got to the 'good' feeling, no idea why.:(

PM: Gym
    Strength training: Apx 1 hour: legs and arms mainly

Hate these days when running just doesn't feel good...makes the next planned run on Friday harder to get out and do.

Hate these days when running just doesn't feel good...makes the next planned run on Friday harder to get out and do.

OMG I hear ya Maria!

My 5 miler yesterday morning were not too enjoyable.

I had to stop twice and at one point I though "WTF am I at, this is not fun anymore", but thankfully I kept going.

I think everyone has good and bad days. This time of year, I feel there does be more "have to get this run done" rather than treuly enjoying it all, but I figure the longer I keep this up over the winter months, the stronger I will be come Spring and 2011.

Keep it up anyway, we can spur each other on anyway.

And yeah, well done on the 67 min 10k! Jealous too!

Friday (AM)
    7K run (apx 50 mins..slow but succesful run)

Friday (PM)
    Gym: Strength training (1 hr)

Rest day today and LSR planned for tomorow (although not really defining it any different to my other runs they are all really SR...:rolleyes:

Hope to do 14k but we will see. I will settle for 10K. Fridays run better than last couple. Back to basics...the seafront where I started out (remind myself of how far I have come) and back to podcasts (great for motivation for me). And just convinced myself I was going to enjoy this run. The sound of sea on the rocks on a bright morning..nothing like it!

Hopefully tomorow be feeling it!

Sunday:
    15.5K today (apx 1 hr 40...I think??)
    Was heading for 10 miles but knees got very sore so cut it off at 9.6 miles. :D Delighted anyway

Was hard to get up and go for a run this morning took a while to get motivated but once I got to 4K knew Id do 10 anyway and then at 10, aimed for 13 (which I had done couple of weeks ago) and then kept going. Knees sore tho now so wil take it easy for next coupe of weeks BUT I will make the 10 miles before Christmas!!!

Plan for next couple of weeks is to do 10K (LSR) before 10K race on Dec 11th. Glad about the cut back for next couple of weeks also as these long runs take (me) so long..the whole of Sunday morning is gone by time I am done. Today was late going out (trying to find that motivation) and was 1.30 by time got home. Kids not happy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Well done on your run Maria. You're so close to those 10 miles now.

I know what you mean about it taking up time. I try to go out really early for my long runs because I want to get it over with asap, otherwise I get nervous thinking about it. I was home yesterday morning by 10 and could then enjoy the rest of the day. If I didn't do that, I'd spend the day trying to come up with excuses for not going out :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

Well done on that almost 10-miler Maria, you are doing brilliantly! The Conn half will be no bother to you at all!

Well done your 9.6 miles

You did it in great time.

Youll be flying it for the 10k, no bother to ya!

Going to take Emer911's advice and get out good and early on Sundays for the LSRs. It is better, although I will begrudge rising early on Sundays :(

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, am delighted with Sundays run (and the fact I didnt collapse). Took a lot of pleasure in telling people in work today...I have been running 6 months today and I ran 9.6 miles!!:D

Although I have to say my shins were sore yesterday and a little today. Looking forward to a few short runs now over next couple weeks and a couple of 10K...and hour now seems like a shortish run (who would have thought it 6 months ago????). Have told so many people now about c25k. LOads of people adding it to their new year resolutions. Cant recommend it enough.

Hopefully get out tom eve or Wed morning for short run and maybe gym Wed night. Away Fri & Sat so taking it easy this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on the LSR this week and I can see why you're including a few hills for Conn HM :). If you run in the Phoenix Park there a couple of off road hills that would be good for training - discovered them during a 8 mile race there last week :rolleyes:.

Wednesday
    5K (few inclines..not hills)

Pretty good run. Last few runs not feeling the need to stop which is great. Trying to lift my feet a bit also as I am definatly running very flat.
    Burn on my arms from my top rubbing on LSR on Sun so need to watch that, not good after run today. Nice to get out in the evening and home, showered and able to relax for the night.
    Hopefully hit the gym tomorow night and short run Thurs before weekend away! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Might be a good idea to use some Body Glide on the spots where your top is chafing - don't know if you'd tried it already.

Might be a good idea to use some Body Glide on the spots where your top is chafing - don't know if you'd tried it already.

Must try that, thanks. Not had it before, obviously the long runs.

Wednesday 24/11

1hr Gym: strength training (legs/arms).

Am finding myself looking forward to short run tom (try to get out before dark so I can change the route). And also thinking while I am off over christmas should be able to do bit more running.and hopefully during the day. Make a change from sitting eating all the time for me this christmas...

Wednesday 24/11

1hr Gym: strength training (legs/arms).

Am finding myself looking forward to short run tom (try to get out before dark so I can change the route). And also thinking while I am off over christmas should be able to do bit more running.and hopefully during the day. Make a change from sitting eating all the time for me this christmas...

Its like we are same person!! haha

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday driving home.

It will be nice to be able to get out over Xmas and work off some of the turkey and stuff, without any pressure of beating the darkness, picking up kids etc etc. Lets just hope the weather doesnt get too icey this year.

Well no running for me over the weekend...was away and then the weather yesterday meant it was not possible (or desirable) to get out.
    Am thinking I might try to get out this evening, maybe go to the gy. Although I have an awful headache so may not be possible.:(

Tuesday 30/11/10
    50 mins cross-trainer (mix of aerobic/hill prog)
    10 mins rower
    10 mins bike

Not sure how much use cross-trainer is as substitute for running, but better plan than sitting on couch s'pose..

Icy++ on all paths and roads here today so no running or trip to gym
    Had enough of this weather now would like it to go away please. Was in such a good routine before this week, very frustrating :(

• Advertisement

Friday 3/12/10

Run in the snow! Just 20 mins but at least I got out.
    Horrible pains in my ankle, side of my leg. I persume it is from the snow and trying to move my feet in it?
    Loads of people looking at me like I was mad, loved it!;)
    Nearly killed myself walking to nearby field to run (slipping everywhere) but the field itself was fine, fresh snow had fallen and all soft and crisp.

Advertisement