Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c25k 2 half...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Friday
    1 hr class...legs/arms and running
    Didnt think I had done much in this class but woke up yesterday morning so sore and even today am still very stiff and sore in my legs. :rolleyes:

Sunday
    5 miles

Headed to P Park with Iloevered. Very warm at 9.30am and struggled for first 2 miles.
    But managed the 5 and we probably could have done well but needed to get back.
    Once got my breath back was discussing with IL when does the 1st part of run ever get easier....any feedback guys??:confused:
    Anyway great to get out early on a Sunday and get good run in. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Well done on your running lately.

You are dead right to leave the watch at home and enjoy the running.

I went through a stage of stressing on times and did just that, and it makes you enjoy it again.

At the end of the day we do it for the enjoyment!

Creeping up the LSR miles - at 5 miles again already!

On the first few miles getting easier - I dont think they ever do tbh.
    I still find the first mile or two tough, but its probably mostly psychological and our bodies warming up. But I think as time goes on runs seem shorter. Like a 3 miler seems so long at one time and now I wouldnt do a run less than 3. So its all about perception!

Any races planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Maria I always find the start of the run toughest. Takes me 2/3 miles to get into some sort of a rhythm. Probably not what you want to hear. As yungwan says you are just warming up. That's why I find my 3milers more difficult than my long runs. You are doing great. Are you doing the 5 miler in d park in a couple of weeks.

Thanks girls, yeah the summer running is tough going alright!

No races planned, think might just take the summer to get the miles back up and eventually get to 10 miles. Keep saying it but not actually doing it!:D

No plans, just getting out and I am enjoying that(once get past 1st mile or so...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I always find the first mile or so tough. Even if I'm not going that fast, it's like everything is out of rhythm, my breathing, my body movement, everything. It usually goes away then after about 10 minutes and I'm often sorted.

It's funny, I ended up doing 4 miles in Bushy Park last Thursday and it really didn't seem that far. Perhaps it was just a mental thing because I was doing laps of the park so the actual distance wasn't like 4 miles from point A to point B.

Just stick at it anyway. Perhaps throw a bit of walking in the odd day if you don't get for a run. Or even if you are bored, just as a way to sneak in some extra exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Looks like we are just gonna have to get through it Maria74 and start giving ourselves more time so we can stay longer in the park and have a chance to enjoy the easy bit longer!! ( and still time for a tiny coffee!!):D

Thursday 7/7/11
    2.5 miles along a country road (new experience for me)

Away for couple of days when I managed to get out for this short run. Mix of the road (?) wearing of pretty high heels and some higher levels of dancing meant my knee was a bit funny for few days. So rested and iced it for a while.

Monday 11/7/11
    1 hr class, half running and half strength/leg exercises

Tuesday 12/7/11
    3 miles
    (Sea shimmering in the background)

Wednesday 13/7/11
    2.5 miles

Small window of opportunity this morning before hitting the books. Headed to the beach and ran along the fields nearby and the sand as the dog went for a swim. beautiful morning:)

Great to start the day with a run and for first time in weeks I am hoping to get 3 runs in this week, although the weekend is jam packed with kids training, parties and other scheduled (not by me!) outings. :rolleyes:

Friday 8/7/11: 1 hour class (mainly running and football training type class)

Tuesday 19/7/11

7 miles this afternoon. Been a while since I have done this distance.

Can't say it was pretty, but done! And much needed, after a weekend of procrastination.

Sat: Convinced self better to go tomorow

Sunday I dragged myself upstairs to put my gear on (grumbling as I went), drove to Skerries, sat in car for few mins psyching myself up. Finally got out, walked a few steps AND.....ran back to the car!!:o How bad is that??? Never done that before, just could not face it...it was so windy I could barely breathe and I just couldn't do it!!:eek:

Monday: cue convincing self of how busy one is (i.e no run)

As yungwan logged recently, I also run for mental health/stress relief (and consequently for the well being of kids and hubbie). This run was definatly needed (that's all Im saying!) :p

Legs a bit tired now so coffee and a choc bar called for, but don't panic its a "Big Race" Bar... so must be ok!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

maria74 wrote: »
    Friday 8/7/11: 1 hour class (mainly running and football training type class)

Tuesday 19/7/11

7 miles this afternoon. Been a while since I have done this distance.

Can't say it was pretty, but done! And much needed, after a weekend of procrastination.

Sat: Convinced self better to go tomorow

Sunday I dragged myself upstairs to put my gear on (grumbling as I went), drove to Skerries, sat in car for few mins psyching myself up. Finally got out, walked a few steps AND.....ran back to the car!!:o How bad is that??? Never done that before, just could not face it...it was so windy I could barely breathe and I just couldn't do it!!:eek:

Monday: cue convincing self of how busy one is (i.e no run)

As yungwan logged recently, I also run for mental health/stress relief (and consequently for the well being of kids and hubbie). This run was definatly needed (that's all Im saying!) :p

Legs a bit tired now so coffee and a choc bar called for, but don't panic its a "Big Race" Bar... so must be ok!!:D

lot to be said for running for health mental health.... Ironic as days when running drives you nuts!!
    Your distances are gettin there... Defo into half territory now...
    Check out Mick dices blog running through fog...if you don't allready
    ps. Kids and husband gotta be worth atleast 26 miles a week credit !!
    Keep it up, good post.

wed 20/7: 1 hr class
    Thurs 21/7 :2.5 miles
    Fri 22/7: 1 hr class
    Mon25/7: 2.5 miles
    Wed 27/7: 1 hr class (in the rain!! :eek:)
    Thur28/7 : 1 hr class
    Sat 30/7 : 2 miles

Monday 1/8/11
    1 hr clas..upper & lower body and half running. Good clas, lovely evening

Am getting out when I can (dragging myself sometimes :rolleyes:).Not a lot of motivation for running, and things are so busy with work and kids on hols etc. Maybe it will come back once back in wk f/t and kids back in school....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Am getting out when I can (dragging myself sometimes :rolleyes:).

I do a lot of that 'dragging' too, most mornings in fact - definitely the hardest part of the run :p.

wed 20/7: 1 hr class
    Thurs 21/7 :2.5 miles
    Fri 22/7: 1 hr class
    Mon25/7: 2.5 miles
    Wed 27/7: 1 hr class (in the rain!! :eek:)
    Thur28/7 : 1 hr class
    Sat 30/7 : 2 miles

Monday 1/8/11
    1 hr clas..upper & lower body and half running. Good clas, lovely evening

Am getting out when I can (dragging myself sometimes :rolleyes:).Not a lot of motivation for running, and things are so busy with work and kids on hols etc. Maybe it will come back once back in wk f/t and kids back in school....:confused:

Well done! you are keeping active anyway and your very busy!

Can I change my log to c25k to half a mile??:o

Couldnt drag myself out today, small window of opportunity in morning..can I do it? Is very early (altho not by MaryS standard!)....:confused:

Wednesday 3/8/11

2.5 miles on a warm but nice morning.

Set my alarm to give myself a bit of extra time (my intentions are always so noble and ambitious at night!!:D)

Cue alarm ringing time and I snoozed it up for apx 30 mins!! Right up to the point where I had left myself the minimum time to do any run.

Anyway went off half asleep and with a bit of a headache. 1st few mins were so awkward and just rough but overall not a bad run.

Managed 2 miles in 23.10, which I believe is better than my usual 24 mins, so not too bad. :)

Am working at home for last few weeks and I cant believe how much harder it is making getting out for a run...thought it would be easier. Am finished up next week so hopefully things can improve then.

Lesson from today: Morning runs are much better for me (if I give myself time during the day I will talk myself out of any run).

Couldnt drag myself out today, small window of opportunity in morning..can I do it? Is very early (altho not by MaryS standard!)....:confused:

MaryS's standards are slipping fast... she couldn't face the drag this morning nor the 5 miler that would follow it :P

[HTML][/HTML]
    MaryS's standards are slipping fast... she couldn't face the drag this morning nor the 5 miler that would follow it :P

Missing 1 morning does not a standard slipping make!!!:D

Missing 1 morning does not a standard slipping make!!!:D

Now that I am setting standards :p I'm left with no choice but to get my ass out of bed in the mornings :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Lesson from today: Morning runs are much better for me (if I give myself time during the day I will talk myself out of any run).

I find it harder to get out of bed when my running gear isn't waiting for me right beside my bed!

Thursday 4/8/11

6 miles (1.17 apx...cant remember exactly...)

Walked twice for 20 secs at 2 miles and 4 after a hill but apart from that feeling good. No soreness or weakness in legs/hips which is great. And even this evening I feel fine (after 7 miles a couple of weeks ago my legs were tired and sore for about 2 days). Think the classes are building up my leg strength again.

Good run today, even though was very warm out this morning. Could definatly have done more but ran out of time (kids to entertain/dog to bring out etc etc:p )

Micilin: Yeah I have started that, leave my gear beside the bed and literally fall over it when I get up!!:D

Was planning on going out tom morning..but ladies will understand this...just got my hair done so dont want to ruin it!

Am away for the weekend, might get out Sun eve (although...)

Next week I will be going for 8 miles anyway and then move up towards the other magic number I keep talking about...not mentioning it again until it's done.

Thursday 4/8/11

Was planning on going out tom morning..but ladies will understand this...just got my hair done so dont want to ruin it!

Yes, amazing how we have to work our running schedules around our hair, fake tan etc. :D

• Advertisement

Maria you are flying it. Keep up the great work. So get the hair thing :)

Next week I will be going for 8 miles anyway and then move up towards the other magic number I keep talking about...not mentioning it again until it's done.

I will chop your legs off if you a double figure without me!! :p

Well done your doing great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

ILOVERED wrote: »
    I will chop your legs off if you a double figure without me!! :p

Well done your doing great!

:D:D. Good luck with the next few runs ladies, you'll reach that mystical figure in no time.

Monday: recovering still from weekend (getting old :()

Tuesday: no run...too many excuses

Wednesday: 1 hour class (strength training and some short sprints)

Thursday: take your pick...too wet, too warm, too windy...too lazy!:P Lots of painting done tho in my house, surely this counts as cross-training...

Friday: 3 mile run this morning.
    VERY warm out there (before the rain). 1st mile was great, 2nd one harder and 3rd was torture. Heat sapped every bit of energy out of me.

This evening: 1 hour class

Football training type class with running and some upper body work.
    Finished with 1K jog/sprint (at someone else's pace..ie faster than mine) and this almost finished me off but I refused to stop when some of the others kept going (there is some competitivness in me!):D

Hopefully get out on Sunday for a run (?) Am wrecked from the class tonight though so I won't be doing anything tomorow.

Sunday

8.35 miles (to be exact!)

My longest run to date :D

Went out this morning and convinced myself that I would just do 2 nice easy miles (while at the back of my mind I knew I wanted to clock that 8 miles)

1st mile was awful, 2nd ok, 3rd pretty bad again (?) and then got little better.

Listened to episode of Marathon Talk that took my mind off the miles (am missing my running mate :(). Was an interview with Jeff Galloway which was interesting to listen to and the logic behing walk/run method.

Realised tho I am SO slow still, running a year and still slow as anything. Took me about 1.46 today.

But at least I can run 8.35 miles!!:p

Well done Maria... great running. Getting closer and closer to the BIG 10. Keep it up missus.

Well done on the run Maria. I like how you tricked yourself into going out for 2 when you really knew you were heading for the 8 :D Mad how the mind works!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done Maria.

Great to see your progress :)

I have been a bit up and down last few weeks with running. Have managed to get out most weeks for 2/3 runs that are short 2-3 miles mainly.
    Even managed to get a couple of runs in on holidays. 2 weeks ago wasnt well but decided running would help so dragged myself out of bed before work and ran wed, thurs & fri morn , but alas no improvement. Took last week off completely and rested. Sunday 18/9/11
    4 miles on a windy morning.
    Not a bad run altho not easy. Good to feel the burn again tho.

Am back in work now f/t after the summer so time to get organised. Plan to run tues/wed short and Friday and then lsr on Sunday's and hopefully class on Mondays.
    Been a non eventful summer running wise but have to say am glad I am am still plugging away a year after finishing c25k. So that in itself is big for me.
    Looking forward to catching up on all the logs and running been happening while I have been off line!

• Advertisement

Welcome back Maria. Looking back to hearing what your next goal is and following your thread :).

Advertisement