Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c25k 2 half...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Sunday 5/12/10

50 mins cross trainer (mix of aerobic prog and 20 mins hill prog)
    10 mins bike

Still nobody out running here, roads and footpaths still like ice. Lot of runners in the gym this morning instead. Ankle a bit sore yesterday and today, must be from snow run other day. Missing my running badly, but really don't like treadmill so xtrainer will have to suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Hi Maria,

I am wincing after reading '50 minutes cross trainer' :eek:. I don't think you need to worry about not doing the treadmill - that machine is hell. You must be really fit. I don't think that I could manage 5 mins on it, let alone nearly an hour! My thighs are aching here just thinking about it :D.

Mary, Dont know about the fit bit..but didnt find 50 mins that hard actually!
    Missing my running tho have to say. Cant believe it is snowing so badly again..will I ever get out there again??:(

Wednesday 8/12/10
    1hr strength training in gym.

Might try go this evening for bit of cross trainer/rower...but not sure. Had hoped to get out for a run but the roads and paths are still very slippy and at this stage dont want to chance it.
    Very tired tho....(yawn, yawn), all this careful driving and traffic due to weather conditions is taking it's toll. Or else I am just bone lazy!!:p

Friday 10/12/10

12K (sloow...1hr20 apx)
    Great run though! Only 1 short run and few xtrainer sessions over last 2 weeks so was delighted to see the paths clear in Skerries. Headed out during luch break and just took it nice and easy. No pains in my legs, no feeling like I wanted to stop.Just pure enjoyment for the running. Maybe this is the silver lining to not being able to get out for past 2 weeks. ;)

So relieved that I haven't lost all my fitness.
    Back on track now hopefully for half in Connemara. Actually before the snow the longest I had done was 9.6 miles and today felt I could have done that again, but time constraints cut me off at 12k.

Aim to get out for a short run tom/sun. Hope weather clearing all paths and roads for everyone else. Happy runnning weekend...I feel it wil be a busy one for all the frustrated treadmill or non runners!:D

• Advertisement

No running Sat (bit sore after Fri to be honest) and Sat was spent nursing a sore head and christmas shopping (not a good mix let me tell ya!) :(
    Away with work today so only home (another excuse I know)
    Will go out tom definatly, even if it is only for 30 mins...I have said it now!

Tuesday 14/12
    28 mins run (guessing about 4k?)

Late day in work (again) and then had to go to meeting so only had hour between. But I knew I wouldn't get out tom and Thur so did 30 mins. Was crappy run tho, no real idea why. Legs wouldn't move, really out of breath and couldnt wait for it to end. Dissappointed after Fri, as had a good run then. :(

Hopefully get out tom morning before the forecasted bad weather hits.

Need to go out for a run and cant seem to drag myself out.....sooo cold. This is my downfall..sitting around and worrying about how cold I feel. Should just get up and go and then I have no time to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

maria74 wrote: »
    Need to go out for a run and cant seem to drag myself out.....sooo cold. This is my downfall..sitting around and worrying about how cold I feel. Should just get up and go and then I have no time to think about it.

You'll regret it when the snow comes. Go now!

Friday 17th Dec
    1 hr 40 (apx 15K??).

Did a variety of laps and back and forth around estates so can barely remember where I went in order to map it. Was tough going and at 30 mins I was heading home but decided to run past my house and try for another 6/7 mins. Stopped a few times in the run also my chest was sore again and I was very out of breath...not sure if Im battling something or if its the cold or the wind..or just making up for the 2 weeks of less training?

Anyway delighted with myself that I did it and that I kept going despite the awfulness (:p) of the inital 30/35 mins. Threw a few hills in also and they really had me gasping for breath.

Looking at myself in shadows I realised how slooow I really am, I look like one of the people walking fast? Should I care tho? I mean I can almost run for 2 hours (well my version of running....:D)

Off now to eat something nice (feel as it is my christmas holidays I should really open christmas biscuits!!). And enjoy the post run feel of satisfaction.

Aim for weekend (weather dependant): 2 short (20-30 mins) runs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Fair play for hauling yourself out. I'd say you feel 10 times better having it done. I'm jealous! Enjoy our biscuits. Hopefully we can all get out for a few miles at the weekend.

After much thinking and considering I ordered myself a Garmin for christmas!! May not arrive in time for the big day but that doesn't really matter..Santa doesn't prioritise adults presents. :D

After reading a couple of people's logs on reflecting on the year's progress, I thought about my own year.This time last year I was almost a stone heavier and was a log term gym member with a secret desire to be a runner. Having never been anyway athletic or sporty I was too embarassed to go out an run.

The kids got Wii fit for christmas and in Feb I started running in the house with the Wii fit (hilarious sight)! Ended up on crutches later that month (unrelated) and that was end of it.

In May I came across C25K and battled through it, some days awful and some great. I will never forget the day I ran for 20 mins...I could have cried with the sheer accomplishment of it. I found podcasts great for motivation and also logging on and sharing the experience with others following same programme. I finished in August (having continued it even when on holidays in France). I ran 5K in September (?) and plan to do 10K in Jan and Connemara Half in April.

Getting to this stage of runnning is one of the things in my life I am most proud of acheiving. It has helped me work better, be a better mum, wife, friend and generally really helped me deal with stress. :cool:

Anyway the only point I wanted to make was...I think I deserve a Garmin!!!:D

Monday 20/12
    30 mins easy run in the local GAA pitches in the snow. :D

Sore knee all weekend. Reading others posts re the same have decided to keep up 5K on flat over christmas and maybe 10K at most. Dont need any injuries as the big one draws closer.

Still out of breath a lot at the start of the run, think its the cold, but God it felt good to be out there in the cold with the sound of the snow underneath and the feeling of it falling on my face. Can handle the snow, its the ice I hate.

No run the last few days as my knee is getting more painful all the time. I am so disappointed as I was really hoping to get some good runs in while I am holidays from work.:(

I am not sure what it is although I have had intermittent problems withmy knee since I started running in May. Think the long run last week was the one that affected me badly. I am feeling pain going up and down stairs and at time walking. Have been spending lot of time walking the last couple of days and dont think that has helped..but despite the weather I believe christmas has not been postponed so presents and preparations must be done.

The thoughts of not running for the next while is very frustrating and even more so by the fact that my Garmin watch arrived today for christmas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

Ah poor Maria, hope your knee improves soon! Try to take it easy and don't be beating yourself up about the fact you can't get out - it's more important to let your knee heal so it doesn't give you more problems in the future!

I would take this opportunity to relax, sit in front of the fire with your feet up and a nice supply of chocolates close by and let that knee rest up! You'll be out testing out that Garmin in no time, don't worry! :)

Thanks Shoegal, can definatly feel it is getting better now with the rest of last few days. Am dieing to get out for a run and may venture out tomorow, although the roads are very icy.

Bit worried about Connemara now in terms of hills etc if knee going to continue, but if I have to walk some I will. I am determined to do it and was looking forward to getting some structure back into my running.

However despite all the moaning and the forced layoff of this week I am delighted tobe heading into Jan as a runner! Every year my resolutions include getting fitter since I remember, and in back of mind always wanted to be able to run. So been a good year!!:D

Sunday 26/12/10
    3.1 Miles: apx 42 mins

Very slow, lots of walking in effort to avoid ice rink patches, some slipping and moments of "what am I doing?" for the first 10/15 mins.

On positive note my knee is feeling ok after the run. Have had 5 days of rest and went back to the grass today for less impact and strapped it. So all good and can happily sit and eat rest of the tin of roses tonight as at least I made an effort to get out (my logic!!!:D)

Monday 27/12
    45 mins gym: Legs/arms etc

Tuesday 28/12
    38 mins of Hell! Just about managed 5K.

Is it due to cold I have, all chocolate I have eaten or am I just getting slower?
    At this moment in time I have no idea why I am puttin myself through this every second day, ,maybe running just not for me!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Everyone feels crap when they're running during the festive season, it's the effect of all the food and beer on you. Don't worry about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Sound advice, I'm not running so long so my Limited advice is mind that knee and occasionally forget all your targets and plans and just shoot off from your house in a random way and see how you go....I've struggled/ struggle with knowing ... Oh must do ....xxxx miles... Oh why am I going slower than that parked car .... Remember it shouldn't be torture( note to self... It shouldn't be torture)...Your well set up for conn
    I think it's great to see a start up log... And quite brave when you read some of the miles times and distances that people do !.So keep it up!.... I feel a Dublin marathon 2011 log mAy be close at hand!!!!!!

Thanks for words of encouragment guys. Read them and was all set for a run yesterday and then woke up with sore throat and flu.
    Hopefully won't last too long and I will be out on Monday.
    Happy new year!:)

Still feeling rotten but this is day 3 of off the cigs!!!

Tuesday 4/1/11

8.2K (apx) took about 58 mins:Garmin battery died (not from usage over last while) so apx mileage.

Delighted to be back out today and felt great! Had to stop a couple of times as the wind was not mixing well with the rattle in my chest (left over from being sick). But at other times today I felt In could have run forever!!:D

Knees and legs ok also even though most of the run was on paths. Thinking aware 10K may be a goer after all!!
    Delighted to be back at it. :)

Wed 5/1/11

1hr gym workout (mainly strength training)

Not huge effort put in tonight...just one of those days but some more training done. Hopefully get out for a short run tomorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Did you hit day 5 off the cigs? Hope so. 14 weeks... ;) What's your general plan?

Hope you're over you're bad few days and happy out again. If this bloody snow comes back, I swear somebody in the vicinity may lose an eye!

claralara wrote: »

Hope you're over you're bad few days and happy out again. If this bloody snow comes back, I swear somebody in the vicinity may lose an eye!
    :D
    I know between sickness, christmas eating and snow my running is a mess! Don't think it is supposed to be too bad??

Yeah not great with the cigs, had 1 yesterday! Keep on trying. Hate January when everybody off food, cigs, walking like people possessed by demons and all everybody talks about is weight watchers points and rice cakes .....:mad: Deep breath..........

Plan for next 14 weeks is to build mileage I think and then near mid-Feb start on the hills I think. Was up to 9.6 miles so am hoping to get back up to that soon and move to 11/12 miles before re-introduce hills. Also keep up 2 runs a week and maybe gym 1/2 times a week.

Off out for a run now before I change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Looks like you're going well :)

What kind of gym work are you doing? Is there a plan or just to keep yourself ticking over?

Am doing classes mainly since June , some cardio/weights and strength training. Love the classes and the guy who teaches it is great. So I aim to keep going to that 1 or 2 times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Maria, what runs are doing around Skerries - are there any mid-range ones (6 - 10 miles)? Shame path doesn't go all the way from Skerries to Balb as that would be a decent run. I've done a few hill sessions in Ardgillan but that's just not pleasant!!!

Advertisement