Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c25k 2 half...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

shazkea wrote: »
    Maria, what runs are doing around Skerries - are there any mid-range ones (6 - 10 miles)? Shame path doesn't go all the way from Skerries to Balb as that would be a decent run. I've done a few hill sessions in Ardgillan but that's just not pleasant!!!

Shakea, I mainly run from top seafront down around playground, harbour through town and out to end of path on way back to balbriggan and back and then end up doing a couple of laps of path along sea front. Usually end up saying Ill do 1 lap and see how it goes. Flat on the whole (except around Harbour) and fantastic views. Loads of runners about also so I usually enjoy on runs there.

Have ran the road from Balbriggan beach up to as far as path goes to Skerries but its not very scenic is it? If there was a path all the way it would be great!

Trying to find some new runs around the area, might look around Drogheda? Do you run anywhere else?

Thursday 6/1/11

3 miles :38 mins (apx..had to stop to help my dog who hurt his leg and forgot to stop the watch)

Went down to beach just as getting dark (hence the dog alongas a guard;)). Was lovely to be there as the sun was setting, no ear phones on and just had the sound of the sea beside me. Lovely, and run felt good also.

After 2 miles decided to try and see if I could move a bit faster. Mainly running about 13min/mile. So did 3x150 metres at 9/9.2 min miles near end.

As I read on another post here it is all about getting your legs out of their comfort zone and I did that and it was strangely enjoyable!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

maria74 wrote: »

Shakea, I mainly run from top seafront down around playground, harbour through town and out to end of path on way back to balbriggan and back and then end up doing a couple of laps of path along sea front. Usually end up saying Ill do 1 lap and see how it goes. Flat on the whole (except around Harbour) and fantastic views. Loads of runners about also so I usually enjoy on runs there.

Have ran the road from Balbriggan beach up to as far as path goes to Skerries but its not very scenic is it? If there was a path all the way it would be great!

Trying to find some new runs around the area, might look around Drogheda? Do you run anywhere else?

I know that loop and yeah it's lovely. I mainly do my short 3 - 5 mile runs around Balb or Skerries. Pretty much the same loop as you in Skerries or the ring road in Balbriggan. The ring road has an incline of about half a mile which is good for getting the heart going if you do it a few times.

I usually do my midweek runs in Malahide along the coast to Portmarnock which I love. For the LSRs I head to Phoenix Park as there's so much distraction there and plenty of runners.

If you find a run in Drogheda or you fancy meeting for a run around Balbriggan or Skerries, let me know.

Yeah the ring road is a handy one for runs during the week.
    I have done the run between Malahide and Portmarnock a few times too, but find by the time I get to Malahide and back and the LSR just takes so much time, it's hard to do. Thats why Skerries suits so well for me.

Definatly on hunt for some new routes now. Have you ever done the coast road around Sutton to Clontarf? Have been saying I will do this a few times but never got around to it so far. Would love to be bit nearer to Phoenix Park, fair play to you going there for your runs.

Friday 7/12/10

I hour class tonight, running specific exercises according to trainer. Lots of leg exercises and streching.
    Enjoyed this and hopefully can make it a regular Friday class.

Rest day tomorow (not a bad thing with the snow falling) and hopefully get out to do LSR on Sunday (10-12K).

• Advertisement

Yeah the ring road is a handy one for runs during the week.
    I have done the run between Malahide and Portmarnock a few times too, but find by the time I get to Malahide and back and the LSR just takes so much time, it's hard to do. Thats why Skerries suits so well for me.

Definatly on hunt for some new routes now. Have you ever done the coast road around Sutton to Clontarf? Have been saying I will do this a few times but never got around to it so far. Would love to be bit nearer to Phoenix Park, fair play to you going there for your runs.

Malahide is handy for me because I work that direction so I just head out straight after work.
    I have done the Clontarf to Sutton run a couple of times but my only problem with it is that it's quite flat so I feel like I'm missing out on hills. I turned up towards Raheny a few times to get that uphill stretch in by St Annes's Park.
    I hear there a few routes around gormanstown/stamullen but I don't know the area well. I'm always on the look-out for routes so if you find some let me know.

Shazkea: Think those routes are mainy on the roads? Have seen a few on map my run/route site but I am not sure I am brave enough for that.
    I work near Blanchadstown and once evenings get bit brighter might try out Pheonix Park, as it seems to be the holy ground for runners!!:D

On another point lucky today is a rest day (well kids taxi day) as my legs are stiff and even sore after workout last night.

Sunday 9/12/11

8 miles (12.8 k?) in 1 hr 45.

Hard run today, felt like I had done about 20 miles (or what I feel 20 miles would be like!!:rolleyes:)
    Ran from Malahide to Portmarnock, around Portmarnock and then around Malahide. I kept checking Garmin and wondering is it broken/loosing coverage because this feels SO long! Stopped a couple of times also (had a drink, catch my breath etc).
    Not particularly happy after this run, as the full realisation of how sloooow I am running. I really can walk faster!!

Nike+ is obviously way off with tracking distance (which I was using before christmas when I got my Garmin). So overall disheartned by this run and wondering about doing half in April...how long is that going to take me??? I will be still going when people walking are finished. Not a pleasant thought!!

On an additional point...am finding that runners in particular areas are friendlier than others. Don't like generalisations on a whole but is definatly a difference in different areas!! Anyone else found this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So overall disheartned by this run and wondering about doing half in April...how long is that going to take me??? I will be still going when people walking are finished. Not a pleasant thought!!
    Just keep the training solid between now and then, you've still got a bit of time to improve. Please don't let yourself get disheartened, and don't let it get to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sunday 9/12/11

8 miles (12.8 k?) in 1 hr 45.

Hard So overall disheartned by this run and wondering about doing half in April...how long is that going to take me??? I will be still going when people walking are finished. Not a pleasant thought!!

No need to be disheartened, you're doing well - 13min pace is more than enough to see you finish among the runners (judging from last years conn half)

Everyone has a bad day training, it's how you react to it that matters! What makes your enjoyable runs, enjoyable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Haven't checked your log in a while Maria. I took a very long two month break and only getting back into it now. You've come a long way since starting out the c25k summer of last year. Well done. Keep it up! I'm hoping to do my first Half in April as well, but in Ballybunion not the famous Conn Half!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

If you can do 8... No matter how slow you feel... You'll do 13....easy!!... And don't forget you'll be doing it rested and fresh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

I'm no expert but I think your doing great, dont give up on Conn.
    You wouldnt have dreamt you could run 8 miles at any speed this time last year so keep it up. :D

Thanks guys appreciate all your posts. Am just bit fed up that I don't seem to be improving in terms of speed (at all) since I started really...well since Sept/Oct when I first started doing 5K. Cant really get my head around why I can walk faster than I can run (well maybe run is too much of an optomistic word for it!!!!:D).People who are just starting to run can seem to run faster than I can...is there a slow running gene????:D

Anyway enough moaning, off to sit and relax and eat some jellies I think. Couple of days off and some perspective needed I believe...there are a lot worse things out there than running and looking like you are (always) running for a bus in high heels!!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Maybe you're being too hard on yourself, both mentally and physically. Are you following a definite plan at the moment?

How about having an easy week? Doing a lower mileage could give you a chance to go a bit faster, albeit for a shorter distance. You need to give your body a rest every once in a while.

Edit: I just went through your log and saw that the last 2-miler you logged was in early December. The 10-mile plan I'm currently doing has plenty of 2 mile runs which allow me to train running at a faster pace.

Tuesday 11/1/11

2 miles (24 mins) ......running for that bus again!!:p

Decided to go out before work and do a short one as I am working late this evening. Was hard for first 0.5 miles then not too bad. In saying that I was pushing it hard to see if I could actually move.

Thanks for all the comments and I think yeah I have to step it back and follow a definate plan for Connemara rather than just being obsessed with increasing mileage. So I will start one next Monday and jump in at maybe wk 4/5 doing 5 miles maybe as LSR and move up.

Plan for week
    Wed (gym/class)
    Thur: 2 miles
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Aware 10K? (not sure yet) or LSR

Just catching up on your weekend. Like everyone says don't be too hard on yourself - running has its ups and downs. You're doing great and trust me those crap days make the great days all the more worthwhile!

Keep the chin up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

I agree with this Maria, don't beat yourself up. You're doing great! You'll be flying once you get a plan sorted! :)

Wednesday 12/1/11

I hr gym, mainly strength training.
    This was tough as I was finding it difficult to breathe, due to ongoing chest problems

Decided to rest yesterday and today and see if I ward off this cough and general chest issues. (am refusing to say/acknowledge any thoughts that I have lost my mojo re running) Undecided about aware 10K tomorow, will see how my breathing/coughing is.

Will be starting HH novice half marathon training plan on Monday. :cool: (said in very definate clear voice!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Hope cold clears, if it does .... Relax and enjoy the run.... It shouldn't be stressful ....but it often does get stressful....!
    Your only competing with yourself.... Keep it going, it's a very honest blog !

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Yay I'm doing Hal Novice Half.....my 2nd attempt. Its great.....! :)

[HTML][/HTML]
    aigster wrote: »
    Keep it going, it's a very honest blog !

Good luck!
    [HTML][/HTML]

Not sure if that's a good thing????:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

dolliemix wrote: »

I'll be starting the same Hal Higdon Novice Half on Monday too! Maybe we could start a support thread or something!

[HTML][/HTML]
    I'll be starting the same Hal Higdon Novice Half on Monday too! Maybe we could start a support thread or something!

Great idea..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 snoozysusie

dolliemix wrote: »

This is my first week following the Hal Novice Half...doing fine so far...and signed up for Ballybunion last week in an effort to keep me on track. Reading these logs will also give me the kick up the a** I need every now and then.
    I started out with c25k in the summer as a complete and utter novice, i wouldn't have even run for a bus. I'm slightly over weight, but that's nothing that can't be resolved by staying away from the sweet aisles in the supermarket :) I'm not the fastest in the world, average about 30 mins for 5k, and the furthest I've run is 10k, so the half marathon is going to be a big step up...BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Hope you're good to go for Aware run tomorrow and best of luck with it :)

Thanks Shaz, think I will do it! Will take it easy tho.

This is my first week following the Hal Novice Half...doing fine so far...and signed up for Ballybunion last week in an effort to keep me on track. Reading these logs will also give me the kick up the a** I need every now and then.
    I started out with c25k in the summer as a complete and utter novice, i wouldn't have even run for a bus. I'm slightly over weight, but that's nothing that can't be resolved by staying away from the sweet aisles in the supermarket :) I'm not the fastest in the world, average about 30 mins for 5k, and the furthest I've run is 10k, so the half marathon is going to be a big step up...BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Me too....signed up for Ballybunion to give me a goal!
    Me too...I only started running last Feb!
    Me too...reading other people's logs gets me motivated!

Good luck with 10k today if you end up doing it Maria!

Well I did it! 10K in what can only be described as WINDY weather (oh an lots of rain!). It was tough, the hills made harder by the WIND!
    Took 1 hr 20, but with amount of walking on hills I did I was quite happy with that!
    Delighted now I did it. :D. Only started running in June and now 5k and 10K done. Connemara half next!
    Bring on Hal Novice Half on Monday. But for tonight I believe some chocolate and beer will feature in the plans!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Well I did it! 10K in what can only be described as WINDY weather (oh an lots of rain!). It was tough, the hills made harder by the WIND!
    Took 1 hr 20, but with amount of walking on hills I did I was quite happy with that!
    Delighted now I did it. :D. Only started running in June and now 5k and 10K done. Connemara half next!
    Bring on Hal Novice Half on Monday. But for tonight I believe some chocolate and beer will feature in the plans!!

Well done, the wind made it very tough alright. I agree, chocolate and beer (or possibly wine in my case) have been well earned!

Advertisement