Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

c25k 2 half...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

There was a mention tonight of even heading up over the next few weeks to try a crawl up a nearby hill (/mountain) in a park nearby
    Maria its only a matter of time and there will be 3 lovely ladies busting a gut up said mountain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Nules10 wrote: »
    Maria its only a matter of time and there will be 3 lovely ladies busting a gut up said mountain :D

4 actually...once it happens!
    Prob wont be that soon but perhaps over the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

3 is a much nicer number! :D

3 is a much nicer number!
    i would have to agree with maria Ilovered.... 4 is better nice even number... hate odd numbers. I look forward to the summer so :)

[HTML][/HTML]
    i would have to agree with maria Ilovered.... 4 is better nice even number... hate odd numbers. I look forward to the summer so :)

2 pairs...means one can push/carry other up said mountain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

maria74 wrote: »
    2 pairs...means one can push/carry other up said mountain!

:D
    We passed a wheelbarrow the last time we were there and I tried to convince Nules to wheel me up the hill in it...she was having none of it :rolleyes:

Seriously though I look forward to you guys joining us there, no rush coz those bloody hills are going nowhere!

shazkea wrote: »
    :D
    We passed a wheelbarrow the last time we were there and I tried to convince Nules to wheel me up the hill in it...she was having none of it :rolleyes:

Seriously though I look forward to you guys joining us there, no rush coz those bloody hills are going nowhere!

we could always hitch a ride off the park rangers if it gets too much for it. My sis tagged along with me today to Ardgillian and decided to do the hill reps too. We could have a proper little running club going on over the summer :D

Friday 22/4/11

3 miles this morning with the dog.

Headed down to Gormanstown Beach and the weather was fab! Only a couple of others on the beach and few people on horses. Tide a long way out so lots of hard sand to run on...perfect!:D

Stopped at 4.5K to let the dog have a swim and then the sun came out and I remembered how hard the 10K was in that heat!

Plan to get another run over the weekend but have a rotten headcold making me feel miserable cant seem to shake and will have to see how that is. If the sun is out I will be heading back to the beach.

Saturday 23/4/11

2.5 miles
    2 miles took about 23 mins (tried to push it a bit) and last 0.5 took it nice and easy

Jesus it was hard work tho, my chest was sore and breathing was very bad. Am battling with sinus etc so probably all connected.

Rest day tomorow to allow for the disgestion of large quantities of cadburys chocolate (I hope!)....:P

Saturday 23/4/11

2.5 miles
    2 miles took about 23 mins (tried to push it a bit) and last 0.5 took it nice and easy

Jesus it was hard work tho, my chest was sore and breathing was very bad. Am battling with sinus etc so probably all connected.

Rest day tomorow to allow for the disgestion of large quantities of cadburys chocolate (I hope!)....:P

well done maria. All this running makes the eating of chocolate more enjoyable :D enjoy tomorrow. I started on the easter eggs already though :o

• Advertisement

Monday:
    1 hour class: running, squats, legs,arms and abs exercises

Tuesday
    2 miles (21 mins)
    Some 200 mtr faster runs and 300 slower ones! (Very technical I know)

Thursday
    3.5 miles on the beach with the sun glistening on the water...definatly did not feel I was in Gormanstown. Beautiful morning for a run on a deserted beach :p

Breathing very bad at the moment, must be related somehow to sinus problems I am having?

Once I got to 5K breathing finally got a bit better. First 300 mtrs thought I was going to have to leave and go home!

Main focus at the moment is no walking/stretching breaks...keep on running programme! So moving up 1K a week (back to basics) in order to break this bad habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Thursday
    3.5 miles on the beach with the sun glistening on the water...definatly did not feel I was in Gormanstown. Beautiful morning for a run on a deserted beach :p

that sounds so lovely! Hope the breathing problems and the cold improve for ya.

Thursday
    3.5 miles on the beach with the sun glistening on the water...definatly did not feel I was in Gormanstown. Beautiful morning for a run on a deserted beach
    Great going Maria i always find it hard running on the beach so fair play to you... i hate it

Sun 1/5/11
    2.5 miles this morning.
    Lovely weather for running.
    Cold finally clearing so didn't struggle as much as Friday.:D

WARNING: Missing running mojo/desire to run/need to ever run again!!!:eek:

It is gone!

In hindsight desire has been slopping off and dragging its heels (literally) for the last few weeks. Only for the sake of friend to run with it probably would have disapeared a few weeks ago!

Not sure where to look for it? Maybe it is hiding in the park after the infamous 3 hour (almost) 10K run from few weeks ago?

Perhaps it is related to the anniversary fast approaching of 1 year since c25k started.

Did 1 hour class tonight (when before running would have been prefered option):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It is gone!

In hindsight desire has been slopping off and dragging its heels (literally) for the last few weeks. Only for the sake of friend to run with it probably would have disapeared a few weeks ago!

Not sure where to look for it? Maybe it is hiding in the park after the infamous 3 hour (almost) 10K run from few weeks ago?

Perhaps it is related to the anniversary fast approaching of 1 year since c25k started.

Did 1 hour class tonight (when before running would have been prefered option):(

It might not come as a shock to you and to other readers of my log, but I frequently suffer from this mojo prison break myself. I don't know what it is really. During the week I usually train in the evenings and when I'm at work, all I can think about is going out running. But by the time I actually finish work, all I want to go is go home, have dinner, put the feet up and watch TV/surf the internet. I also find myself making all sorts of excuses as to why I shouldn't run "oh I'm a bit tired, my knee/ankle/something is a bit sore so I should rest it". The excuses are never-ending.

However I somehow seem to force myself back out though, although I do have far too many big gaps between training days and I need to be more consistent. I think what motivates me is a few things. I want to lose weight and I know running will help me with that. I absolutely hate doing weights so for me, running is the only option exercise wise. I can't swim and I don't have a bike and I'm seriously out of practice on bikes anyway.

I also think how I'd like to be nice and lean and fit and be able to walk up four sets of stairs without being out of breath. I often watch video's of various races, such as Haile Gebreselassie setting a new 5k world record in Helsinki. I know I will never be anywhere near as fast as those guys but how fit they are and how fast they are is motivational and makes me want to be like them.

I like the idea of knowing I can just take off running and can do 10 or 15 miles (eventually, I can't do this yet) and be the envy of all our non exercising friends. I like the idea of competing in a race, and coming back to do it the next year and making a huge improvement in my time - Dunboyne 4 mile, I'm talking about you :)

Everyone get's bad days when they don't want to go out, even bad weeks. I find in those situations it's better to think to myself "You know what, don't worry about needing to go out and do a huge number of miles today. Just go out and do 3k". It's sort of a mental trick as I know 3k will take less than 30 minutes so it doesn't seem that long or far and chances are, I will end up doing more if I'm still feeling ok when I hit the 3k mark.

I think for me it tends to happen when I feel like I'm not making any progress. Like if I haven't lost much weight or if I've missed training and then when I go back to it, it's so much more difficult.

So anyway on those days when you really don't want to go running but need to, I'd say just go out and aim to do 3k. Nice and easy, no pressure, just going out to stretch your legs and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

It is gone!

Hey
    I found your mojo! Its right up here with your great enthusiasm! Your ability to find great training plans and you talent of finding brilliant running locations!! and the great feeling you have after every run! They are waiting for you just at your doorstep!
    You always say it only takes that one step out side the front door. Everything else is easy.

Your always motivating others here on boards, congratulating them on their achievements and goals! Time to suck that up yourself! Time to look at your achievements and congratulate yourself. You got out all on your own and started C25K! You head to the otherside of the city for your first race all on your own! You have twice completed 10k races on a very very very hard route!

Working full time and looking after a family is soo hard and tiring, but running is something you have just for you! You own little headspace, your own little achievement, your own little treat and time for yourself. Also remember the reason for it too? To set a good example for your children, look how that’s worked out? Your daughter ran great in her first race and is in a club? Would she have achieved that if it weren’t for your good example? Example you set to your friends?? I know one that wouldn’t be running if it weren’t for YOU!!

So one little step back and one big deep breath and We’re OFF! AGAIN!:P

Maria you have been doing great over the last while. And i have to say i admire anyone who has a family and a full time job and still manages to squeeze in running... you are great to do it. I just have to get my own ass out the door and that is tough. Don't be so hard on yourself you are doing great. Keep it going... remember how you feel when you have done your run. Chin up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Maria you have been doing great over the last while. And i have to say i admire anyone who has a family and a full time job and still manages to squeeze in running... you are great to do it. I just have to get my own ass out the door and that is tough. Don't be so hard on yourself you are doing great. Keep it going... remember how you feel when you have done your run. Chin up ;)

+1 to the above, especially on not being so hard on yourself. You're doing great :)

Thanks guys for all the kind words and encouragment. :)

Am still missing my mojo, went for a look for it today in the local football pitches but not to be found. Dragged my feet for 3.5K and then came home. But moaning is over.

I have realised that the real problem is in my head. Have lost the enjoyment perhaps due to putting myself under pressure (to never stop/go faster etc) coupled with lack of feelings of any real jumps/progress being made.

So thanks to some kind words from Ilovered and some real thinking around this problem (ironically done while running) I have a plan! And of course once you have a plan you are just about sorted!! (Its just my personality type)

So off to do a long run on Sunday with a concentration on getting a good few miles in, nice and slow and some stopping/walking if need be. Think I will hit Phoenix Park and try to get a few miles in. :)...Perhaps I left mojo there after the GIR?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Hi Maria,

I see you are suffering from lack of mojo... dont worry, I too felt this way and I am finally getting back into it again.

Sometimes we need a break or a change of plan. I took a few weeks of training when I felt like for as far as I felt like, and started doing some races, just for the craic.

I am now feeling it again! I think you just have to make a new start, forget about those shortcomings you feel you have, not beat ourselves up tooooo much about times, and pick a new race to target. Whether thats a 5k, a 10K or whatever, it will give you something to focus on again.

I remind myself that this is something I enjoy doing, something that is great for me, not just physically, but mentally. I have even signed up for a 5k with my 7 year old to involve him and make it as much about the fun as anything else! He cant wait!

Dont compare yourselves to others on here either, we are all different and I know I am never going to be like some of the fab athletes on here, but thats fine, we have other priorities like our kids, work etc. But I bet there are loads of people who admire you and who couldnt run 100 metres let alone anything else!

Head up, :) .....(or youll trip over yourself!! haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

yungwan wrote: »
    I have even signed up for a 5k with my 7 year old to involve him and make it as much about the fun as anything else! He cant wait!
    Great idea, saw a few very excited looking kids at the start of the MSB 5k back in March, and some who finished in some very good times too!

[HTML][/HTML]
    yungwan wrote: »
    Hi Maria,

I see you are suffering from lack of mojo... dont worry, I too felt this way and I am finally getting back into it again.

Sometimes we need a break or a change of plan. I took a few weeks of training when I felt like for as far as I felt like, and started doing some races, just for the craic.

I am now feeling it again! I think you just have to make a new start, forget about those shortcomings you feel you have, not beat ourselves up tooooo much about times, and pick a new race to target. Whether thats a 5k, a 10K or whatever, it will give you something to focus on again.

I remind myself that this is something I enjoy doing, something that is great for me, not just physically, but mentally. I have even signed up for a 5k with my 7 year old to involve him and make it as much about the fun as anything else! He cant wait!

Dont compare yourselves to others on here either, we are all different and I know I am never going to be like some of the fab athletes on here, but thats fine, we have other priorities like our kids, work etc. But I bet there are loads of people who admire you and who couldnt run 100 metres let alone anything else!

Head up, :) .....(or youll trip over yourself!! haha)

:D:D

Thanks Yungwan! You are right of course...I need to just get over myself and yeah stop the comparisons.

Great you signed up for a run with your son, my daughter did junior GIR a few weeks ago and I was delighted for her (and for myself that I encouraged her to do it!) :D He will probably get the bug like his mum!

Delighted that you have your love of running back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

[HTML][/HTML]

:D:D

Thanks Yungwan! You are right of course...I need to just get over myself and yeah stop the comparisons.

Great you signed up for a run with your son, my daughter did junior GIR a few weeks ago and I was delighted for her (and for myself that I encouraged her to do it!) :D He will probably get the bug like his mum!

Delighted that you have your love of running back.

I was watching the Diamond League athletics tonight and it's kind of re-motivated me. Perhaps watching a few YouTube clips might help you get back on track?

Friday 6/5/11

1 hour class: weights, leg and arms.
    Tough class but enjoyed it.

Kind of looking forward to tomorow's LSR.:rolleyes::confused: Keep telling myself will take it easy see how I go (but at back of head really want to get a few good miles done...ssshhhh)

G-Money:thanks for that...might take out the running books maybe and see if that helps before tomorow. BTW 'going the distance' is on Tues I think...wonder how did the guys get on in Belfast? Watched last episode one eve when I had decided I was too tired to go out and after seeing them run 11 and then 13 miles decided...if they can do it I can get out for 20 mins!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

maria74 find yourself a really big hill..a really big long hill. and get yourself to the top of it, walk, run a bit.. whatever but with no pressure to run or get there in a certain time, pace etc. Take in the view at the top for a while then run down... I think you will have reconnected with your mojo by the time you get to the bottom :)

Sunday 8/5/11

7 miles done and dusted!:D:D

Headed to park and have to say was best run I have had in ages. All the psychological stuff really is the key!

Stopped a couple of times (for navigation purposes really!!_:p Breating has improved also so may have actually been fighting something last few weeks.

Saw end of superhero run and of course had to stop during run to cheer on a few superhero kids and parents and a certain Mr Darcy.

Even spotted a few boards runners a couple of times on the laps.

Really enjoyed this and feel great to have done a good run. Could have done more but need to keep something for next time!!;)

Sunday 8/5/11

7 miles done and dusted!:D:D

Headed to park and have to say was best run I have had in ages. All the psychological stuff really is the key!

Stopped a couple of times (for navigation purposes really!!_:p Breating has improved also so may have actually been fighting something last few weeks.

Saw end of superhero run and of course had to stop during run to cheer on a few superhero kids and parents and a certain Mr Darcy.

Even spotted a few boards runners a couple of times on the laps.

Really enjoyed this and feel great to have done a good run. Could have done more but need to keep something for next time!!;)
    Maria well done. 7 miles is brill :) great to see you back on form ;)

Monday 9/5/11

1 hour class: very hard going. Lots cardio and my legs were weak at end.

Hopefully get out for a run tomorow and Thursday.

• Advertisement

No running since Sunday...life just seems to be getting in the way..getting busier and busier.
    Hope I can get out for at least 1 run over the weekend and maybe class tomorow. (posting it might mean I make the time to do it!:D)

Advertisement