Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/Cheap Parking City Centre

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I start a new job in Galway City Centre on Monday, i will commute untill after Christmas.
    1. Is there any free paking in the city centre or cheap parking?
    2. Is the traffic bad in the mornings? I'll be starting work at 9.
    3. What i the quickest way in to the city coming from the east?

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

You can park all day for a fiver the city council car park on Dyke Road (opposite Aldi Headford Road)

Don't get fooled into parking at Tesco or outside the Omniplex because you will get clamped.

There is also cheap parking beside the Cathedral but this is on the other side of the river which may not suit you if you are traveling from the east.

And yes, parking is busy up until 9. There are a lot of schools in the centre as well as the university.

What part of the city centre are you working in?

There may also be deal to be got near the Docks.

Welcome to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KathyMc

I'll be working on Shop Street so maybe the Docks might be the closest place?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

or just get the train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I used to work just off Shop Street and used to park in the Dyke Road, started work at 9, had to be in Dyke Road by 8.30 to get a space, ticket, and walk to work.

Leave yourself plenty of time to get from home into the city because the dual carraigeway gets mad in the mornings. I used to commute from Clarinbridge, what was a 15 minute drive at night was an hour commute in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Spadina wrote: »
    I used to work just off Shop Street and used to park in the Dyke Road, started work at 9, had to be in Dyke Road by 8.30 to get a space, ticket, and walk to work.

Leave yourself plenty of time to get from home into the city because the dual carraigeway gets mad in the mornings. I used to commute from Clarinbridge, what was a 15 minute drive at night was an hour commute in the mornings.
    There's no problem getting spaces in this carpark anymore. There's always dozens of free spaces now all day.
    There's also a few secret free places to park around the city but people are reluctant to share these as they would end up being used so they couldn't avail of them themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

KathyMc wrote: »
    Hi,
    3. What i the quickest way in to the city coming from the east?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - there is a carpark that's free to use just after the Martin roundabout in on the left. It's a spillover carpark for the Galway Clinic - you could park there, and then grab the (frequent) number 9 bus into Eyre Square

Just a thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

lampsie wrote: »
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - there is a carpark that's free to use just after the Martin roundabout in on the left. It's a spillover carpark for the Galway Clinic - you could park there, and then grab the (frequent) number 9 bus into Eyre Square

Just a thought..

Yes, that carpark is free. The gate gets locked at night, not sure what time, but it's not early.

OP, congrats on the job. Have you considered just using public transport? It might make your days a bit less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Park beside the omniplex for €3 per day. Or right beside currys (and not elsewhere in that retail park) for free. There's no clamping in the spaces designated for currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hi,
    I think the car park on merchants road is doing good rates if you are parking for a number of months. A guy I know worked out a rate for 3 months. It is indoor and 24/7 so handy if you need to stay overnight or are late leaving.

Advertisement