Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-sensitize the sensor on a PIR light

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Evening all,

I've got a pair of solar powered, PIR activated LED spot lights on my house that are sealed units and have no external controls apart from an ON / OFF switch.

My problem is that my cats and other creatures activate the lights everytime they walk past them and it's killing the batteries on me.

Is there any way I can place something over the PIR sensor that will help to de-sensitize it so that only a target the size of an adult will turn it on.

Thanks in advance,

Frank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

You could place insulating tape along the bottom half of the PIR sensor, make sure not to block the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

Hi johnny,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I would have tried using the insulation tape trick myself only for the fact that the PIR sensor dome is pretty much facing straight down, it's a half dome actually, for 360 coverage.

If I put tape on it it'll detect nothing!

Regards,

Frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 terryjo

help needed please
    its a 3 bed house about 35 years old and the boxroom lights are fine but the other front bedroom lights only work if the bathroom lights are turned off and vice versa,the back bedroom light only comes on very dim and so does the landing light,could anyone tell me is it minor or major,im afraid its a fire hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi

Probably best to start a new thread.

It sounds like you've a problem with a broken neural cable some where. Has someone changed a ceiling Rose recently??

It shouldnt really cost anything major in materials to fix, just a small bit of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

terryjo wrote: »
    help needed please
    its a 3 bed house about 35 years old and the boxroom lights are fine but the other front bedroom lights only work if the bathroom lights are turned off and vice versa,the back bedroom light only comes on very dim and so does the landing light,could anyone tell me is it minor or major,im afraid its a fire hazard

Yes sounds almost like a ceiling rose/light was changed, and maybe a light switch or 2 as well. Is this the case?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 terryjo

yes a celing light was changed only a while ago,iv had a sparks look at it and he tells me that a house should be rewired every 25 years,is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

terryjo wrote: »
    yes a celing light was changed only a while ago,iv had a sparks look at it and he tells me that a house should be rewired every 25 years,is that true?

Did the light switches work ok after the light fitting was changed at first?

Well any houses that have the old rubber insulated type cables should be rewired, these houses would of been wired far more than 25 years ago though. But i dont think all houses that were wired 25 years ago would need to be rewired now, although i have heard the 25 year thing before. Its all down to the condition of the house and its wiring overall.

Advertisement