Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours are building - late night noise

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I live in a semi detached and our next door neighbours are doing a complete renovation and a large extension. As a stay at home mum of 3 babies it’s stressful enough during the day especially in this weather but internal work is continuing late into the night. It’s 10.45pm now and they are hammering away and making lots of noise. What course of action if any do I have? I spoke with the owner and he said he would talk to the builders but this seems to be happening after the builders have gone home and he’s doing work in preparation for the next day. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I can imagine how bad it is having kids with that noise going on, but unfortunately for you I'd say unless your neighbour is making a racket after midnight or something there is unlikely much you can do. If you've already approached him and he didn't react really negatively and tell you to f*** off, then he may be reasonable and open to another friendly approach to explain your situation.

You are going to have to live next door to this guy, so I would recommend against doing anything like calling the Gardai etc. Pop in and have a word now while the noise is going on. Explain you have some kids sleeping and ask him if he thinks it would be possible to come to a reasonable compromise.

Remember, the renovation will end eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

In your case yes it may be better in the long run to 'put up an shut up' excuse the phrase, in the interest of not falling out with your neighbor, but thats your call.

Its an interesting point tho, I thought there was some legal rules regarding construction work/noise in residential areas... like 8am untill 7pm monday - saturday. I
    may well be wrong but would be interested if anyone knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

liteheart wrote: »
    I live in a semi detached and our next door neighbours are doing a complete renovation and a large extension. As a stay at home mum of 3 babies it’s stressful enough during the day especially in this weather but internal work is continuing late into the night. It’s 10.45pm now and they are hammering away and making lots of noise. What course of action if any do I have? I spoke with the owner and he said he would talk to the builders but this seems to be happening after the builders have gone home and he’s doing work in preparation for the next day. Any advice would be great, thanks.

if they got PP for the extension then working hours are usually specified on it..... 10.45 is not acceptable imo.

hope all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

thebullkf wrote: »
    if they got PP for the extension then working hours are usually specified on it..... 10.45 is not acceptable imo.

hope all is well.

totally agree with this. Building at that hour is most likely a breach of their planning permission.

Id point this out to them and tell them if they breach it again you will be onto the council.

That will sort it out. Mind you it wont do anything for your relationnship with your neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 liteheart

Sadly the relationship with this neighbour broke down years ago, a bit of a neighbour from hell situation. Unfortunately the pp didn't stipulate hours of work but I might give the council a ring to see if I have any grounds to prevent work at unsocial hours. I get that he's entitled to do work on his home but not at all hours of the night. He was still working at midnight last night and began again at 7am.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You should contact the Dept of the Environment. They're the ones who enforce noise regulations etc and will be able to tell you where you stand. That sort of noise late at night and early in the morning isn't acceptabe and I'm pretty sure you must have some rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 liteheart

You should contact the Dept of the Environment. They're the ones who enforce noise regulations etc and will be able to tell you where you stand. That sort of noise late at night and early in the morning isn't acceptabe and I'm pretty sure you must have some rights.

Thanks for that, I'm really only going to say something if it keeps up. If it's a once off fine but would be good to know where I stand if I have to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I think that unless specified on the PP, there are no restrictions on building late at night, but you may be able to take a case in the district court more info here and here. Also, just because the PPmay not have had restrictions printed on it, does not automatically mean they are not applied to it-call your local planning office nad double check. You may want to call your local council offices too.

Good luck!!

Advertisement