Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centre Half Selection

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Nothing short of a fcuking joke that HR has failed to pick Bassong again tonight. The fellas confidence must be at an all time low, when a half fit Gallas is playing ahead of him.

Full responsibility is with HR.

It cost us against Bolton, and again tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

not bassongs biggest fan but surely harry can see how bad gallas has been. i would easily play him ahead of gallas at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Not bassongs biggest fan either i have to say. Not much has been said about Kaboul's part in the sunderland goal, they are both as responsible as the both just left it for each other!
    Did gallas not make a crucial interception near the end? had ledley king done it no doubt we would see plenty of posts about how class he is.

So why does Bassong not start?, it can be only one of two reasons, 1. Harry has the hump with him for some reason or 2. maybe harry thinks he is crap and wants to stick with gallas and kaboul until daws gets back.

So lets say Bassong starts against Blackburn and makes a fcuk up like kaboul and gallas, what then, more central defender musical chairs?

Its like the other week when every one was calling for krancjar and saying he deserves game time etc and he starts against bolton and is pretty awful.

If Gallas is playing as badly as he is then Bassong must be doing fcuk all in training to dislodge him?. Maybe harry thinks they are equally crap but gallas might improve with more game time and because of his experience.

Either way, we have got problems, will harry buy a CB at christmas or does he think the south african dude can do a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Bassong started a lot of games last season and did well. after King and Daws he should be next to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Either way, we have got problems, will harry buy a CB at christmas or does he think the south african dude can do a job?[/QUOTE]

I don't think Harry will be buying a new CB in Jan. The reason is, we have or will have 7 CBs on our books. At the moment we have Gallas and Kaboul in the team but our preferred partnership would be King and Dawson. Bassong is another CB who for some strange reason is not getting a look in. If we add Woodgate ( I know he may never play again but he is still on our books) to the total we now have 6. With the addition of the South African international in Jan. to our ranks we will then have 7 CBs.
    Someone will have to be sold before Harry will be allowed buy another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

http://windycoys.blogspot.com/2010/11/analysis-of-goal-conceded-against.html

good read here on gallas and all he has been at fault for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

The reason HR relies so much on playing Gallas is solely due to the fact that he has experience next to the relatively young Kaboul.

He would not want to risk having to pair 2 young defenders next to each other when he has the experience of Gallas there.

Imo I wouldn't rely on the older Gallas, although he is still a good player I honestly think that Kaboul and Bassong have the potential to be a good pairing together, and need game time to build a partnership for (undoubtedly in the future) when Daws and King are injured again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,741 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Yes we have 7 CB's, but 1 is for the future (S. African dude), 3 are on their last legs - King/woody/Gallas so that leaves three - Kaboul/Bassong and Dawson.

Personally I'd like to see 2 of the 3 mentioned above off the payroll asap and a new CB brought in in Jan.

Ideally we'd like a well established CB, an international player with CL experience. That won't most likely happen.

So what's the alternative? Another young CB with a bagfull of promise and potential. I hope not - we already bought 2 of thosein kaboul/Bassong, and look how thats worked out.

I don't want 'the next Rio Ferdinand' or 'the next Cannavarro', instead I'd rather have a player that you know can hit the ground runninhg - Cahill, Jagilka or even Richard Dunne. At least that way you know what you are getting for your money and you are not left hoping the player is going to be good enough to do the job, because you already know he IS good enough to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think we should have signed Dunne when we had the chance. Like you said 2nd row donkey he would have slot right in and hit the ground running. I'm not a fan of Bassong at all TBH but Kaboul has impressed me of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

For such a key position, why not Hangeland from Fulham or Cahill from Bolton? I know they'd be expensive, but they're both excellent defenders with PL experience and would be well able to fit into the team.

@Zeidth - Both are decent. I wish we had have just put them together in the first place (back when Daws got injured) - they'd probably have gelled by now and be decent enough.

@SuperSi - Hangeland! ... forgot about him, he'd be perfect. He'd be my preference actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hangeland wouldn't be too expensive surely would he?

8m+ I'd say, he signed a new contract last year if I remember correctly.

What about Wheater from 'Boro. Think I read something last week that they'll most likely sell him this January.

Didn't he get a few caps a couple of years ago.

Not the type of player to set the world a light but he could come in and do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Dawson back in training, hopefully he will be match fit soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

What about Wheater from 'Boro. Think I read something last week that they'll most likely sell him this January.

Didn't he get a few caps a couple of years ago.

Not the type of player to set the world a light but he could come in and do a job.

No Thanks.
    We need to strengthen with top class players, not fellas that may not even be as good as what we already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jonp

I was talking to my mate who is a regular at Bristol City at the weekend and he says Caulker is different class and doing really well at the moment. Apparently he is not only a great defender, but can also pick a pass. He is gaining good experience in what is a tough league. I would much rather see him get a chance next season than buy some expensive John Terry clone from another club.

If a centre back puts two or three good games together in the prem they suddenly become hot prospects and the price gets stupid. I think we should stick with what we have at the moment. Surely full backs could do with more cover, especially on the left.

Looks like we might see Bassong get a run in the team for a while, although not alongside Kaboul as we hoped.

Gallas was poor vs 'pool.
    Was watching that Gillete soccer sat show on SP1 yesterday and apparently Harry reckons Gallas could turn out to be the signing of the seaon. Whats he smoking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Gallas was poor vs 'pool.

He got MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Hatch99 wrote: »
    He got MOTM.

yeah!!!

but i think bassong was better today in fairness. gallas has been very good last 3 games

Hatch99 wrote: »
    He got MOTM.

Your kidding? I took few phone calls during the 2nd half but I can't have missed that much. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Bassong had Torres under his thumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Our new Centre half signing Kumalumo(sorry spelling is terrible I'm wrecked) is carying a knee injury as well:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've been very impressed with Gallas in this last week. I was a bit worried about him at first, but he was excellent against Arsenal and Liverpool. While i wouldnt see him lasting too long, his experience cannot be overlooked. We do need to stop relying on King/Woodgate being fit though, as they are just too unrelieable. It's a terrible shame, as King is (imo) one of the best defenders about when he is fit.

Once Dawson comes back, he'll be the center back. I'd like to see either Kaboul or Bassong with him, assuming they can up their game a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭condor26

Bassong made a couple of high-profile tackles, he did well when it was needed. and fair play to Gallas, his experience shows and it looks like he's taking it all very seriously

Advertisement