Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chicken in white wine sauce

Options
  • 09-11-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Hey guys , I want to make this tomorrow for the missus. I did make it before but cant remember how too now , I made a REALLY easy version with cream flour and wine , can someone tell me please

Thanks

sarge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minim

Hi sarge..heres my version for 2 people
    Cook 2 chicken breasts in water. Keep the liquid and use as a base for your sauce. Chop one small onion into a small dice and cook in a little oil until soft, add a little garlic(you could also add mushrooms/peppers) add 2 tblsp butter and melt..then add 2 tblsp flour and cook for about 4 minutes. gradually add some wine stirring constantly dependin on how strong you want id say about 100ml. then add the stock from the cooked chicken until you have it at the consistancy you want. finish with a dash of cream. Chop your chicken and add to sauce.
    I would also throw in some fresh herbs(or dried work just aswell) tarragon works great with chicken. chives good too.
    Hope its a help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Great recipe Minim.

If I can give one piece of advice, this recipe calls for adding wine to the roux ( cooked flour and butter). If the wine is cold, it is more likely to go lumpy.

If you are not well practiced at making a roux sauce, here is some advice.

After the flour and butter are cooked, take it off the heat and add the liquid( preferably warm) very slowly, stirring all the time. If you add lots of cold liquid to a hot roux, it is very likely to go lumpy.

If it does go lumpy, take it off the heat and stir, stir , stir. If all else fails, push it through a sieve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Easier way to get around it would be soften the onion then add the wine, reduce by half and then add a beurre manie, cook it out a bit and then add the water gradually (personally I'd use actual stock or maybe add a stock cube to the water you boiled the chicken in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

you could pour in double cream after the alcohol and reduce again to the consistency you want, which removes the need for flour (roux or beurre manie), add herbs to taste and season (be careful of salt if you've used a stock cube). My sequence is: onion in butter, alcohol and reduce, stock and reduce, cream and reduce, herbs and season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Ok ok, I know it's cheating but it's absolutely gorgeous and easy to make. I usually use a tin of Campbells Chicken and White Wine condensed soup. I cut up the chicken into strips, then put the chicken into an oven dish. I just throw the tin of soup over the chicken, add a tinful of milk, some mixed herbs and crushed garlic and stir it up. Bung in the oven for about 45mins @ 180 degrees. Just before I take the chicken out, I put in a dash of white wine and stir. Believe me, it's absolutely gorgeous and tastes home made. Just remember to hide the tin can before you serve!

• Advertisement
Advertisement