Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchipping a dog

• 09-11-2010 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Does anyone know how much it costs to microchip a dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I haven't had to microchip a dog in about 4 years but if I remember correctly it was around €30

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

€30-40 is pretty reasonable. Many vets will do it for a discounted price if you're in for something else as well (vaccination, neutering, etc). Well worth the price as it'll pay for itself if your dog gets out and is picked up by a passerby/dog warden/vet as they'll be able to return it to you ASAP. I wish it was mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 keli

Thanks for the replies, so less than fifty quid I suppose?
    It should definitely be mandatory! To at least stop people from dumping dogs that they're fed up of.
    Does anyone know if having a medical card entitles you to vets discounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Jackob

I got my dog chipped last year and it only cost a fiver because the DSPCA ran a few open days in supermarket car parks where they charged this nominal fee to encourage people to get their dogs microchipped. If you contact your local branch they may well be doing it again!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

wow it's much cheaper than what I've heard, a girl recently tried to shove it down my neck that micro-chipping costs €300 and nuetering costs€150 or vice versa.
    we were talking about it because myself and my friend want to get our dogs done soon. silly question but is micro-chipping sore for a dog??

and slightly off topic but ruffly (:o) how much to get dog nuetered/spayed?

ya know, I think it's that kind of attitude that causes some people to not even consider chipping when you have idiots "telling" you that it's mad expensive and noboby could afford that!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Magentas: ring around about the neutering. Vets vary in prices as do areas. However do bear in mind that the cheapest is not often the best and I would go with other peoples recommendations especially is it's a bitch you're getting spayed.

Chipping is roughly €40 and is an excellent idea. It shouldn't be sore, most dogs don't even notice it. One word of advice, please everyone make sure that the chip is actually registered to you and has the correct details, you wouldn't believe the amount of dogs showing up that are chipped but not registered to their owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

there r groomers now certified to microchip and they are a lot cheaper than vets. one i know costs €25 to chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

magentas wrote: »
    wow it's much cheaper than what I've heard, a girl recently tried to shove it down my neck that micro-chipping costs €300 and nuetering costs€150 or vice versa.
    we were talking about it because myself and my friend want to get our dogs done soon. silly question but is micro-chipping sore for a dog??and slightly off topic but ruffly (:o) how much to get dog nuetered/spayed?

ya know, I think it's that kind of attitude that causes some people to not even consider chipping when you have idiots "telling" you that it's mad expensive and noboby could afford that!:rolleyes:

No its not sore, maybe a litte uncomfortable and like a pinch but wouldnt be sore.
    Spay charges all depend on size if dog really, so a terrier would be a lot cheaper than a great dane so none of us could actually tell you what price it is.
    Chipping should cost no more than 50euro, its usually from 25-40 roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

It cost me 35 euro to get each of our dog chipped - the procedure is essentially the same as them getting an injection - two didn't notice a thing, the other (a complete wuss) winced a bit.

Neutering was 120 for the collie dog, 140 for the female collie pup, 160 for the older setter bitch. Bitches are more expensive to neuter, and usually smaller dogs are cheaper to get done. I could have got it done cheaper elsewhere, but I completely trust this vet and would rather pay and feel safe. Some place runs a discounted scheme for people on social welfare if that applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

When a pup is chipped, I assume it's registered in the breeders name?

Would the vet charge to change the chip details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Cherrycoke wrote: »

no the vet cant change it the people who can change it are if its a IKC registered puppy when u change over the paper work the chip will also be changed! then other companys do chipping fido is one that springs to mind but cant remember the name of the other one! so you need to see what company the chip is regestered in! i think pet trace is another one

Yes, basically when a pup is chipped, its registered with the breeder, that is if its a litter of pups thats being chipped.
    When the new owner gets the puppy, they are given a form from the chipping company and you fill out your details and send it back to the chipping company, there is no charge for this and the vet doesnt do it, you do.:)

You have to make sure you send back the microchip form with the new details on it to make sure the dog is now registered to your address/details.

Sophie, just so you know, the chip is not switched to your details automatically just from sending back IKC papers, you have to send back the microchip form, so not sure if this is what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

was just talking to a mate about chiping the other day, she has a dog reg by i think cainine ireland(?) she has to sent €15 to change the papers into her name and another €5 to change the details of the chip. is this rite?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

andreac wrote: »
    Yes, basically when a pup is chipped, its registered with the breeder, that is if its a litter of pups thats being chipped.
    When the new owner gets the puppy, they are given a form from the chipping company and you fill out your details and send it back to the chipping company, there is no charge for this and the vet doesnt do it, you do.:)

You have to make sure you send back the microchip form with the new details on it to make sure the dog is now registered to your address/details.

Sophie, just so you know, the chip is not switched to your details automatically just from sending back IKC papers, you have to send back the microchip form, so not sure if this is what you mean.

oh i didnt relise this when i sent my yorkies ikc papers off two weeks ago and once i got the papers back i checked with my vet and she was in my name then when they checked the chip. im going to make 100% sure tomorrow to be safe! i wasnt given a micro chip form...........humm thanks anreac!

sophie1234 wrote: »
    oh i didnt relise this when i sent my yorkies ikc papers off two weeks ago and once i got the papers back i checked with my vet and she was in my name then when they checked the chip. im going to make 100% sure tomorrow to be safe! i wasnt given a micro chip form...........humm thanks anreac!

No prob, the IKC and chipping comoany are 2 different companies so you have to sort each separately. You should have a got the form from the chipping company so you can fill that in and send it off to them. It is separate from the IKC papers so the IKC wouldnt be changing over your details for the microchip.

was just talking to a mate about chiping the other day, she has a dog reg by i think cainine ireland(?) she has to sent €15 to change the papers into her name and another €5 to change the details of the chip. is this rite?

Those canine ireland papers arent worth the paper they are written on. They have no affiliation with the IKC so i hope your friend doesnt want to show the dog or try and reg with the IKC as they wont be able to.

You shouldnt have to pay anything to change over the chip details.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Only the kennel club store the breeder information with the relevant microchip number for each dog.

There's a website called http://www.fido.ie/

Here you can register the dog to your name and address so if the dog gets lost and handed into a vets/pound your details come up to get him home again

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If you friend has a chip registered with Canine Ireland she should re-register it with Fido or Animark as the Canine Ireland chips are not searchable in the databases that vets/pounds/etc search.

You can drop into your vet and get a form from Fido- you fill in all the details, post it to Fido, who then does a thorough search of databases (they probably won't find anything) and they then send you a letter telling you what they've found. If they find nothing, they charge you a small fee (less than €10 I think) to register with Fido. I would DEFINITELY do it so that your dog can be returned to you if anything happens.

Canine Ireland is a joke- people buy dogs thinking they're 'registered' but the registrations are useless, as an above poster mentioned. And the worst bit, in my opinion, is the fact that all those microchipped dogs are not searchable by vets and pounds if they are found, which renders the chip useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Wisco wrote: »
    If you friend has a chip registered with Canine Ireland she should re-register it with Fido or Animark as the Canine Ireland chips are not searchable in the databases that vets/pounds/etc search.

You can drop into your vet and get a form from Fido- you fill in all the details, post it to Fido, who then does a thorough search of databases (they probably won't find anything) and they then send you a letter telling you what they've found. If they find nothing, they charge you a small fee (less than €10 I think) to register with Fido. I would DEFINITELY do it so that your dog can be returned to you if anything happens.

Canine Ireland is a joke- people buy dogs thinking they're 'registered' but the registrations are useless, as an above poster mentioned. And the worst bit, in my opinion, is the fact that all those microchipped dogs are not searchable by vets and pounds if they are found, which renders the chip useless.

Totally agree, I've had a few dogs in that had chips that weren't registered anywhere, after talking to a few people, we came to the conclusion that these dogs were from Canine Ireland. I don't understand why their chips aren't registered with Fido or Animark, it just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Register it yourself with Fido if you have to, its worth the money definitely for the peace of mind.

When I take my dogs in for their annual booster vaccs, I always get the vet to check that the chip is still there and is picked up, sometimes they can move, I did hear of one being found in a dog's ear!

Advertisement