Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.260 Rem.

Options
  • 09-11-2010 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I was just curious as to how available .260rem ammo is here in Ireland. I'm looking into getting a Tikka T3 (ideally the laminated stainless) in .260rem, any thoughts/experiences with that setup?

I'd mainly be paper-punching, but would like to do some roe/fallow stalking, maybe even some reds - will premium 140s do the trick with virtually all Irish deer species?

Cheers.

TC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

TCos wrote: »
    I was just curious as to how available .260rem ammo is here in Ireland. I'm looking into getting a Tikka T3 (ideally the laminated stainless) in .260rem, any thoughts/experiences with that setup?

I'd mainly be paper-punching, but would like to do some roe/fallow stalking, maybe even some reds - will premium 140s do the trick with virtually all Irish deer species?

Cheers.

TC

Ammo availability is limited if not impossible to source

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've seen it in one or two places, but it's not going to be a common round in these parts. In a short action, it's hard to go wrong with either the .243, 7mm-08 or .308, depending on what you want to use it for. The .308 is going to give you the widest scope anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TCos

Thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling that that was the case. In a similiar vein, how popular is the 6.5 Swede here? Considering that it predates both the .308 and .30-06 and we're in (relatively) geographically close proximity to it's namesake, you'd think it'd easily accessible round; however, I could be way off, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling that that was the case. In a similiar vein, how popular is the 6.5 Swede here? Considering that it predates both the .308 and .30-06 and we're in (relatively) geographically close proximity to it's namesake, you'd think it'd easily accessible round; however, I could be way off, haha.

It's extremely popular. Would certainly be in the top three to five deer calibres here.

I used one for years.
    Although .308 Ammo is cheaper to buy.
    I did a poll recently and it showed that of the boards.ie members who shoot deer, the .243, .308 &6.5 were the top three, followed by the .270 in close 4th.

Not a very accurate poll, but 59 Hunters Voted and it got 12 voters

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044040&page=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

Hi, you would not be disappointed witha tikka varmint/supervarmint in 6.5x55. Had one, only rifle regret getting rid off. You can expect a one hole group at 200 yards with it and if you get a good one a sub 3/4" group at 300. Mine loved the 139gr lapuas.

Hi, you would not be disappointed witha tikka varmint/supervarmint in 6.5x55. Had one, only rifle regret getting rid off. You can expect a one hole group at 200 yards with it and if you get a good one a sub 3/4" group at 300. Mine loved the 139gr lapuas.

You would not be the average shooter though, I've seen your lates rifles ;)

A clover @100 is good w=enough for most ;)
    Never mind clo9vers at 2-300.

OP
    If you are getting a 6.5x55 for deer, I'd highly reccomend Norma 120grain Nosler Ballistic tipped.

Advertisement