Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minor works (pre-year end budget burning)

• 10-11-2010 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be useful to have a thread with some of the actual improvements to the road network being done in the current budget-incineration being undertaken by every county council in the country :D

From ones I've seen

1: Small realignment on the N2 between Monaghan and Emyvale. Smoothing out some of the bad complex of bends.
    2: VERY small widening on the N14, basically providing space for cars to pass turning traffic waiting for a space and improving the geometry of the junction its at

I'd assume there's lots more around, seeing as every council is in a similar situation.

There's resurfacing works in force on the N65, N13, N53 and N2, and some bridge works on the N14 but these are just maintenance really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Two minor realignments on the N24 between Bansha and Cahir. Started late October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

Lagans just completed a resurfacing of a 1.5 km stretch on the N69 near Askeaton, lovely and smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

There's a few bends been smoothed out on the N52 also and a few scrape and surface jobs on junctions also around the Ardee / Kells / Mullingar area.

I tried to get a bit of discussion and clarification going on it a few weeks ago but no joy. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056064043 There's a bit more info in my thread there.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

N71 resurface outside Bandon.
    N71 removing (dangerous) corner half way between Bandon and Clonakilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The N21 was resurfaced lately through Abbeyfeale on the southern side of the town. Surface was horrible before that. There also some sections being resurfaced between Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The Dublin road out or Roscrea is finally being repaired and resurfaced.

The Roscrea to Birr road (N62) is being widened at the Black Bull Pub. I think it is to allow enough space for a lane for those turing towards Shinrone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Works at the N56 Gweebarra Bridge.

According to the M18 thread the N18 through Gort will be resurfaced before 2011 after Gort-Crusheen is opened.

Any hope of resurfacing the N56 between Glenties and the R252 junction before year end?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

R747 bends being taken out between Arklow and Woodenbridge in Co. Wicklow. At least, I hope that is what they are doing.

R752 badly needs road markings improved around Avoca (big tourist trap) and we need all the tourist money we can get at the moment. Some of the back roads badly need tar and chippings to fill holes:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

tech2 wrote: »

Any hope of resurfacing the N56 between Glenties and the R252 junction before year end?

It was neglected due to the planned realignment being announced as a 'this years project' in 2007 through 2009... suspect its on the suspended list now.

On second glance (today), the N53 work is verge strengthening not resurfacing. They're also resurfacing the ex-N2 (R135?) through Castleblayney.

Resurfacing on the N66
    Bridge works on the N65
    Resurfacing on the N52

Won't get to see any more non-Dublin roads this week, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Resurfacing on the N72 and N73. Doing a good job aswell..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

New signs on R526 in Limerick city (or at least, foundations/holes for new poles - no signs as yet).

It's a bit surreal that in our present financial predicament, money is being frivolously spent on stuff like this.

Even some proper projects seem a bit unnecessary in our tightened circumstances. We've been waiting in Limerick for some time for the kind of streetscaping that Cork and Dublin have already had, but nevertheless, it does again seem very out of place to be doing this essentially discretionary work in the current situation. Currently they are working on William Street.

It's like there's some sort of alternate reality going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

tech2 wrote: »
    The N21 was resurfaced lately through Abbeyfeale on the southern side of the town. Surface was horrible before that. There also some sections being resurfaced between Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale as well.

About time that needed repairing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Bog road between Cloghan and Birr closed for resurfacing
    Cloghan Ferbane road got a new layer about 2 months ago.
    Village of Ballinahown also been resurfaced
    Ballinahown - Athlone got a few spots patched up

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Bog road between Cloghan and Birr closed for resurfacing
    Cloghan Ferbane road got a new layer about 2 months ago.
    Village of Ballinahown also been resurfaced
    Ballinahown - Athlone got a few spots patched up

Plenty of budget burning going on on the M6 and M4. lots of hrd shoulder closed with very little evidence of anything worthwhile going on.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Noticed that there's a lot of foundations for gantries being put in place on the M1. Seems that the older signposts are going to be replaced very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Resurfacing a perfectly good surface north of Abbeyleix N77 (old N8) whilst south of the town the N77 is still shattered from the Big Freeze. Who makes the priorities?

About three months before the M8 was opened, they placed N8 signs along the old route, now they are being replaced with N77 ones, less than a year later.

Interestingly they put a brand new N8 sign on The Square in Durrow AFTER the M8 was opened!

Hard to believe such wastage of public money is going on in the current climate. :facepalm:

Cantilevers are being installed at M8 junctions 8, 17 and 18.

The N62 is being/has been recently resurfaced between Templemore and Thurles and between Thurles and the M8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

MYOB wrote: »
    2: VERY small widening on the N14, basically providing space for cars to pass turning traffic waiting for a space and improving the geometry of the junction its at

Where's this now?

runway16 wrote: »
    Plenty of budget burning going on on the M6 and M4. lots of hrd shoulder closed with very little evidence of anything worthwhile going on.... :mad:

If you're referring to the section from Leixlip to Maynooth (and possibly beyond) on the M4, this is connected to the erection/installation of new signage (the bases are in place), whether this is worthwhile or not is a moot point-the existing signs are not that long in place-I have a query in with the Council and the NRA what the reason is for these works.

They are taking long enough to finish-I guess the signs aren't ready or do they need approval of some sort?

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Where's this now?

Between Letterkenny and Lifford at some point. One of the junctions which didn't have space for a car to pass inside a turning vehicle; there's lots of them!

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    If you're referring to the section from Leixlip to Maynooth (and possibly beyond) on the M4, this is connected to the erection/installation of new signage (the bases are in place), whether this is worthwhile or not is a moot point-the existing signs are not that long in place-I have a query in with the Council and the NRA what the reason is for these works.

They are taking long enough to finish-I guess the signs aren't ready or do they need approval of some sort?

Ok....response received from the NRA, via a local politican
    At a meeting on Friday I asked.....of NRA about the new signs.

He said that it was safety issue to ensure that cars did not stop at exits off the motorway. He said that the new signs are in the interest of consistency.

Can someone make sense of this for me?

Small realignment and widening on the R407, covering most of the bit between the previous jobs (one done to a very high standard, one... not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Fingal Co. Co. are straightening out one bend on the road between Ballough and Ballyboughal
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.5329973697662&lon=-6.22890472412109&zoom=14

Its the road south of the MSA

But there's loads of bends and the surface on the whole road is pants - Gort standard. I had a look at it twice but it doesn't make any sense.

cargo wrote: »
    There's a few bends been smoothed out on the N52 also and a few scrape and surface jobs on junctions also around the Ardee / Kells / Mullingar area.

I tried to get a bit of discussion and clarification going on it a few weeks ago but no joy. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056064043 There's a bit more info in my thread there.

Travel a good bit of the N52 on Monday and there''s loads of resurfacing done between Dundalk/Ardee/Kells/Mullingar.

Those bend works I referred to above are a bit disappointing as it looks like they are just removing the ditch/hedge and fencing it off for better visibility instead of realigning the road. Maybe they are not finished but I think they are.

Short widening on the R157 between Maynooth and the roundabout where the Blacklion (L-whatever) that was *meant* be the R157 after it was completely realigned and widened ten years ago joins

If they changed the route number, signage and put a 30 limit at the school; what they're doing would be completely pointless.

Also some widening approaching Ardee from Kells on the N52 and what looks like land fenced for a realingment of a bends complex but no work started on doing it further towards Kells.

Short widening on the R157 between Maynooth and the roundabout where the Blacklion (L-whatever) that was *meant* be the R157 after it was completely realigned and widened ten years ago joins

If they changed the route number, signage and put a 30 limit at the school; what they're doing would be completely pointless.

Also some widening approaching Ardee from Kells on the N52 and what looks like land fenced for a realingment of a bends complex but no work started on doing it further towards Kells.

Would those bends near Kells be the ones I marked in the post linked to above? Or more bends? Forgot about that bend just on the Kells side of the hospital. Wasn't the worst one on the road in fairness as you could at least see around it.

Likely is, I had this window open for so long that I didn't see your post before mine!

Likely is, I had this window open for so long that I didn't see your post before mine!

No I'm just wondering if it is indeed the same bends or if they are improving a few more. The bends I pointed to in google maps are located just before you cross the R162 (Nobber - Navan road) as you head Ardee to Kells.

• Advertisement

I can't remember, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Between Letterkenny and Lifford at some point. One of the junctions which didn't have space for a car to pass inside a turning vehicle; there's lots of them!

Its the ballyholey junction (know locally as the back road into raphoe) its about time too there have been a few fatal accidents at that junction....

There is a stretch of the N13 from newtowncunningham - manorcunningham being dug up and resurfaced, started on time but was due to finish in Oct this year (according to the roadsigns) but they are still only about half finished :rolleyes: 30 min delay's coming either way at newtowncunningham due the the 2 lollipop men....

Numerous pointless road resurfacing in and around letterkenny town, tarring over perfectly good roads, and line painting where the lines were clearly visible and didn't need burned off and redone, money spending racket i'd imagine to use up the budget!

Does anyone know what road works are taking place by Finnegans on the N7 Dublin rd out of Limerick?

Lots of traffic cones in situ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

McLove, they're probably doing something about the "pretend" lane in the middle of the road that ended at the traffic island on the Newport roundabout (rather than connecting directly to one of the two lanes onto the roundabout).

New signage being installed at M8 junction 10 roundabouts (Cahir). It looks like all the current signage will be replaced, though I don't know why. It's only three years old and perfectly adequate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Galway City Council doing resurfacing along Connolly Avenue in Mervue and also in the junction/cross road.

• Advertisement

Zoney wrote: »
    McLove, they're probably doing something about the "pretend" lane in the middle of the road that ended at the traffic island on the Newport roundabout (rather than connecting directly to one of the two lanes onto the roundabout).

Well there probably should be a lane there as traffic does get quite backed up there in the evenings and some mornings.

What I find is traffic coming off the roundabout drive into this alot and from my own experience have seen some near crashes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bunch of signs along the M1 being replaced by gantries and cantilevers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I was on the train from Cork to Dublin this afternoon and saw what looked like approach embankments for a new bridge crossing (over the railway) at Thurles - I initially thought it might be the N62/N75 Thurles Relief Road. However, having referred to openstreetmap, I now think it might a link from the R498 to the N62, I guess such a road will link into the N62/N75 scheme - whenever that happens.

Anyone else with info on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Another section of N77 roadworks started today, removed a perfectly good surface AGAIN. South of Abbeyleix has seen a slow start to much NEEDED resurfacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Resurfacing work on N63 in Moylough

• Advertisement
Advertisement