Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broke repeat .

• 10-11-2010 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Im a repeat stud . im broke and 18 years old i live with my parents but since im 18 they want me to contribute to the rent for the house and bills ...
    im trying to get a weekend job for like 3 weeks now .
    i searched on studentfinance.ie but it doesn't mention anything about repeat only about 3rd lvl education ...
    Is there any finance help that i could seek from the gov ?
    I thou of going to school and be on job seekers allowance at the same time .. but is it illegal ? if it is will the social welf. get to know that im doing that .. what you think . . ? :confused:

(also) my parents tried to seek child benefit but since im 18 they are not entitled to that .. woman in the citizen info . told me to seek job allowance and just continue to go to shool .. but im not sure if its illegal .. as i mentioned before ...
    please help !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

As I understand it, it is totally illegal to be claiming job seekers allowance and going to school during the day even if you are over 18. However I think you are perfectly entitled to apply for job seekers allowance if you were attending a part-time leaving cert course at night. If you cannot find one of these, another option is to drop out of school and complete the leaving cert as an external student assuming your subjects do not require teacher supervised projects.

So. Option 1 illegal. Options 2 and 3 legal. That's my guess anyway.

I think there is some 3 month waiting rule before you get payment but that might only apply to college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

It might sound awful but be a chugger. Its a horrible job, but if you do it well you could make enough to give to your parents.

Personally, I think your parents are being kind of unfair asking you to study and work, but thats beside the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

im in day school .. but i only do 5 subjects in school ... do anybody think that talking to the head about me doing 4 subjects (as 4 subjects is part-time ) and claim the allowance .i already do 2 subjects outside school and 5 in school . i wanned to drop english anyway as i passed it last year .. but then head told me that 4 subjects would be like part time . . is that even possible in the middle of the year .. ? or should i look for different school .. i don't want to go on illegal payment because im going to apply for HEAR and miantaince grand .. both are means teasted so they would propably find out anyway .. i really would prefer to stay in that school . but is there any point in talking to the principal about that ..? or part time day school wouldn't be accepted by social ?

Thanks everyone for advice .
    !!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Is there any subject your really good at?You could try and give grinds in it at Leaving or Junior Cert Level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Snap2010

If it's a loan you're looking for you can join a Credit Union. You can work out a very reasonable repayment plan and they cater a lot for students. You can even pay back like €20 a month if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I think anything part-time would have to be at night so that you would be 'available for work' during the day. You have to be deemed 'available for work' and seeking a job to get jobseekers allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I'm pretty sure an 18 year old repeat student is entitled to child benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

!!! wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure an 18 year old repeat student is entitled to child benefit?

Child benefit is cut off at 18 regardless of where you are in the education system

Advertisement