Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help uprgade cpu

Options
  • 10-11-2010 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

hi all

i have a 3.40 ghz Intel Pentium D

would i notice much of a difference if i was to upgrade to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

In unthreaded apps you'll get a moderate boost. In threaded apps and/or heavy multitasking that will rise to between Substantial and Massive.

What is the motherboard model, i.e. are you sure the mobo is compatible with the Q6600? Many older and/or cheaper mobos from that era are not... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Solitaire wrote: »
    In unthreaded apps you'll get a moderate boost. In threaded apps and/or heavy multitasking that will rise to between Substantial and Massive.

What is the motherboard model, i.e. are you sure the mobo is compatible with the Q6600? Many older and/or cheaper mobos from that era are not... :o

thanks for the reply,its for gaming so hopefully ill see a big difference

my motherboard is a 0wg864 ,pc is dell e520,ive already done some research on whether it'll work or not and it seems that it will,even a q6700 should work,actually i think ill be going for the q6700....

It depends on the game - some are well-threaded, some are not. Some need three or more cores to perform in a manner even close to acceptable (most 360 ports fall into this category). Any overclock to it will result in almost any game improving even if they run on a single thread - Core2 CPUs are much more powerful per clock than P4s and especially PDs ;)

The Q6700 is simply a slightly faster version of the Q6600 and is also fine. I suspect all 45nm CPUs are a no-no on that mobo however.

What graphics card do you have? :)

It depends on the game - some are well-threaded, some are not. Some need three or more cores to perform in a manner even close to acceptable (most 360 ports fall into this category). Any overclock to it will result in almost any game improving even if they run on a single thread - Core2 CPUs are much more powerful per clock than P4s and especially PDs ;)

The Q6700 is simply a slightly faster version of the Q6600 and is also fine. I suspect all 45nm CPUs are a no-no on that mobo however.

What graphics card do you have? :)

well basically i just want the best one i can get for my machine,seems like that would be the q6700

the graphics card is a geforce 9600 gso 768 mb

That's grand, just bear in mind you'll be going from being CPU-limited to GPU-limited in most games, although it will only be a problem if you're playing very demanding titles above 720p resolution.

• Advertisement

That's grand, just bear in mind you'll be going from being CPU-limited to GPU-limited in most games, although it will only be a problem if you're playing very demanding titles above 720p resolution.

yeah i understand that,the new call of duty game is the main culprit here,the cpu failed the "can you run it" test while everything else passed,i bought the game knowing it wouldnt run great but its running worse than i thought...

i was looking into getting a new cpu anyway but this is after fast tracking things

will i need to get some paste as well?

thanks for the help

Certainly, unless you intend on getting a new cooler for it and said cooler comes with paste. Even then it can be handy to have some cheap paste around just in case you need to reseat it at a later date for some reason... :)

Certainly, unless you intend on getting a new cooler for it and said cooler comes with paste. Even then it can be handy to have some cheap paste around just in case you need to reseat it at a later date for some reason... :)

thanks again

would you think id need a new cooler with it?

What cooler is on your PD at the moment? Is it getting too hot or is mindnumbingly noisy? If not then it'd happily do - even if moderately OCd a G0 quad would produce less heat than a 3.4GHz PD, those were infamous for their insane heat and power draw!! :eek::P

What cooler is on your PD at the moment? Is it getting too hot or is mindnumbingly noisy? If not then it'd happily do - even if moderately OCd a G0 quad would produce less heat than a 3.4GHz PD, those were infamous for their insane heat and power draw!! :eek::P

to be honest im not too sure what cooler is on it,ill check it out though

havent really noticed any overheating but it does get fairly noisy when under stress/gaming,i think that noise maybe from the gpu though....

• Advertisement

Could be, although the 9600GSO isn't that hot-n-heavy usually... :o

Could be, although the 9600GSO isn't that hot-n-heavy usually... :o

ok thanks ..... ill let you know how i get on,wont be for a while yet tho as im not getting the cpu until xmas

upgraded to q6600 without a problem

thanks for the help Solitaire

seems i do have a problem now

im getting random freezes......complete freeze,mouse,clock, the whole lot
    i has to manually reboot to get back in action

temps seem ok,im pretty sure i did everything properly

anyone have an idea what could be the problem?

should i reinstall the OS after installing the new cpu?

fixed this by installing a new hard drive.....not sure if the hard drive was the problem or if it was a problem with the OS

fixed now anyway...

Advertisement