Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Camcorder Panasonic

Options
  • 10-11-2010 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
    I saw the Panosonic 3D Camcorder (HDC-SDT750K) in a local shop, and I like the idea but need more info:
    1. Can I record in 3D but edit in 2D
    2. If uploaded to Youtube, is there an opion to view in 2D
    3. More a 3D Question: will 3D formats be changing?, ie no set format yet, so could it become superceded, ie is it somewhat future proof.
    4. Has anyone bought it, review please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
    I saw the Panosonic 3D Camcorder (HDC-SDT750K) in a local shop, and I like the idea but need more info:
    1. Can I record in 3D but edit in 2D
    2. If uploaded to Youtube, is there an opion to view in 2D
    3. More a 3D Question: will 3D formats be changing?, ie no set format yet, so could it become superceded, ie is it somewhat future proof.
    4. Has anyone bought it, review please.

I'd be very wary of purchasing it. Is there editing software available? Not many people have a BluRay player at this point - never mind 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ciencin

As far as I know you are able to edit 3D footage and export it as a regular 2D video (think you just hide one of the video channels).

Regarding the camera, unless you have a 3D TV / screen / projector then your 3D camera is useless... If you are thinking of getting it then make sure your editing software can support it (Avid definitely has it, FCP should work as well, not sure about other software, wouldn't count on Windows Movie Maker anyway :) Also you'd need a blue ray burner if you ever want to put your movie on to a dvd (well blue ray disk).

To be honest I wouldnt bother getting a 3D camera yet. Even if you do have that camera, blue ray burner and the software, 3D tv are no where near the 3D footage that you will see in cinema. There are also of issues when you want to film in 3D as well, like if you want to film a tight close up shot

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

1. Technically it should be possible but you will have to check if there is currently any software than can do it. I can tell you that unless you have a very powerful PC this would take an age and would be totally impractical. Also it would half your resolution.

2. If you upload this to youtube you would probably get a split screen with the left and right image. Youtube doesn't support 3D. Even if it did you would still need a 3D ready graphics card, monitor and glasses.

3. This is a 1st gen 3d camcorder, there are bound to be format issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I'd stay well clear for the time being. Very few people have a 3D TV, and as a previous poster mentioned, to play it on a computer you'd need a 3D graphics card etc. So where would you plan on showing/using the footage then?

3D has only hit cinemas recently, and a lot of people aren't taken to it. It could easily die out over the next few years.

That panasonic is one of the first 3D cameras to come out, it will have problems.

In summary, wait a while. See how people are taking to 3D over the next year or two and keep an eye on 3D cameras and how well they're working.

I do camera work and editing for a living; and I won't be buying one anytime soon. Though I'm not opposed to shooting a short in 3D to see what it's like:D

Advertisement