Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn my old wireless modem/router into an access point

Options
  • 10-11-2010 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    Here's my problem and i really hope someone can help me out because its been baffling me.
    Im trying to get my home entertainment gear connected online (old xbox 360 without wireless adaptor, Samsung BluRay player and Philips Home Theatre dvd player)
    I have broadband with eircom who "graciously" included a free Motorola Netopia 2247-62 modem/wireless router.

The problem is the phone line and hence modem are in one corner of the house and my sitting room with home entertainment set up is at the other side of house so running cables for all units is not an option.

I do however have an old Belkin ADSL Modem/High speed wireless router from a few years back, model # F5D7633-4, but unfortunately it isnt list by dd-wrt.com as being supported by them.

If anybody knows how and what settings to change on either of the modems to allow one of them to act as an access point that i can plug the media kit into and still have it access the primary router as the modem thennthat would be great.

i know i've probably made it sound very confusing but it is to me, so if you need any other set-up/layout etc questions then just let me know ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

i am afraid not possible, just get another router/access point that works with wireless or get ethernet convertor

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nick99er

ok thanks. At least now i know for sure, i'll just have to bite the bullit and but a new router/access point. any tips on what would be the best one to get for €100-€150.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What is it Your looking for, an access point or a repeater? An access point would be easy do, just login and disable dhcp and put some tape over the wan port (ie disabling routing), but it would need to be connected by cat5 cable to Your existing Netopia router. Aa repeater isn't possible unless the firmware allows it (doubtful), this would pick up and re-transmit the wireless signal, I hate these as they never work well and half Your wireless throughput. My advise is to run a cable if at all possible, its sometimes very easy if You spend a while to think about it, can bring it outside, up behind downpipes, through attic, even sometimes fit beside tv coax in conduit etc.

Advertisement