Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Respect Anglers!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 motorimporter

cpoh may have put it more politely than I did, but the principal still stands. I have no problem with paddling out if there are anglers at a spot.

Interesting to note the two veiled threats above from motorimporter and cjhaughey, would not have thought that the moderators would accept them.

And cjhaughey, if you are referring to my comments, I have surfed in many spots / countries on five continents over the past 16 / 18 years. I know who to respect

I think you'll find my comments were posted "tongue in cheek", however your attitude towards anglers stinks, and for other surfers to acknowledge that on this thread speaks volumes.

16/18 years surfing and still no manners.............Knowing who to respect..............you havent got a clue buddy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mga1761

cpoh1 wrote: »
    As a surfer if i turn up at my local spot and a few anglers have decided to set up shop on a decent day im going to get in the water no questions asked. Why should all other water users suffer because one group of lads want a section of the beach to themselves?
    Would you also consider surfing if other enthusiasts (like those that swim, use jet-skis, etc) were already using a stretch of water? Surely these people also need a stretch of beach/water to themselves, for safety sake, if nothing else?
    Surfers, bodyboarders, kayakers and windsurfers can all co-exist in the water at the same time, why should a well known surfing beach be cleared because a couple of guys want to take over the place to themselves?
    Try answering that question from an anglers perspective: Why should a well known fishing beach be cleared because a couple of guys (surfers!) want to take over the place to themselves?

For the record, I don’t remember anyone asking that a beach be cleared, nor do I recall anyone saying that they wanted to take over any beach to themselves. All that has been requested here is that surfers respect the space that anglers occupy.
    Surfers are happy to share the water with all water users - its an angling problem if their hobby is dangerous to other water users and they need space.
    Surely all water users need their space? Although I’m not a surfer, common sense tells me that even two surfers in each others space could be dangerous for each of them. No?
    And dont even go into the legal/civil responsibilites and liabilities if a surfer was to get injured because of an anglers actions.
    I’m not a lawyer, but I’d be prepared to take my case to court if someone got injured as a result of action they took, like straying into my fishing zone.

You cant expect all other water users to give up a stretch of beach so guys can have a fish, there's a lack of common curtosy to other water users in expecting that –
    Try substituting the word “fish” with “surf” in your statement above and read it again.
    Can you see the contradiction in your argument?
    … especially at established surf breaks where guys have invested loads of time in the area, surfing there regularly and cleaning up the place (we would do regular beach cleans where im from). Its not surfers faults anglers cant co-exist with all other water users.
    From everything I’ve experienced (and read here), it’s not that the anglers can’t co-exist with other water users. It’s the other way around.

Also for you information, anglers do regular clean-ups and have invested hugely in their hobby, both time and money (just in case you’re under the illusion that it’s only surfers that have invested in their water sport).
    Anyway - would i get in the water. Yes and without any remorse!
    Your comment above is a little rich, especially coming from someone that’s prepared to mention “civil responsibilities”. From all that’s been said in earlier posts, it sounds like you’re not one of the surfers here who’s prepared to show a little respect and courtesy. Too bad…

To all the surfers that have taken some of the points onboard and can see this issue from another’s perspective, thank you.

-Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 motorimporter

Surfers are happy to share the water with all water users - its an angling problem if their hobby is dangerous to other water users and they need space. And dont even go into the legal/civil responsibilites and liabilities if a surfer was to get injured because of an anglers actions.

As an ex lifeguard I wouldnt be slow to tell a group of a anglers to stay away from my beach during our working hours even with no bathers in the water - it means people cant get it when they are around. You cant expect all other water users to give up a stretch of beach so guys can have a fish, there's a lack of common curtosy to other water users in expecting that - especially at established surf breaks where guys have invested loads of time in the area, surfing there regularly and cleaning up the place (we would do regular beach cleans where im from). Its not surfers faults anglers cant co-exist with all other water users.

Anyway - would i get in the water. Yes and without any remorse!

I'm both shocked and appalled at your attitiude, a life guard telling anglers they cant use a (not my)beach...........unless it is prohibited by local bye laws, anglers have just as much right to fish a beach as the man next door does to swim, walk, snorkel, surf.

What gives you the right to say...........NO FISHING

A group of 4 anglers would take up approx 80 yards on the beach, hardly a major inconvenience now is it?

Get off your high horse and show some common courtesy.

I'd hardly choose to have a picnic in the middle of my local park if there was a football match in progress now would I, so why do a small idiot minority of surfers think its acceptable to surf where anglers are already fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I am not your buddy

With regards to respect, I generally respect those that do not try to limit others enjoyment / use through potential / risk of injury. A surfer will not injure an angler by surfing somewhere but anglers have the potential to injure the surfer through their use of the amenity. As has been 'highlighted' already on this thread.

Out of interest, when the anglers decided to hold their comp at a surfing beach, did they contact the local surf club, the ISA or any other representative groups? Was there any advance notice published at the beach or online advising surfers (many who may have travelled significant distances for their surf)? Just wondering how far the respect went

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I think you'll find my comments were posted "tongue in cheek", however your attitude towards anglers stinks, and for other surfers to acknowledge that on this thread speaks volumes.

16/18 years surfing and still no manners.............Knowing who to respect..............you havent got a clue buddy :mad:

A few questions:

How often do anglers fish at the beach the comp was held?
    Do anglers do anything to maintain the area like surfers do?
    Was the local surf club contacted regarding restricted access to the beach in question beforehand?

As far as im concerned it is total ill manners to rock up at a beach and expect all water users to give up their hobby/passion so that one group can be accomodated. Sea angling is a dangerous activity for all other water users (bathers, surfers, divers, kayakers), why should they all give up their pastime for a couple of guys looking to go fishing.

If the comp was held at a popular surfing beach that is used every weekend it was naive and silly to expect fellas to give up water time to accomodate ye. I know personally that my surfing time is restricted by working weekdays in the winter and i would never give up a surf at my home break at the weekend when its good so some random group of guys can have a fish off.

I would say judging by the anglers on here that the attitude problem lies squarly with anglers. You just cant expect to take over sections of a beach for your own private use.

• Advertisement

I'm both shocked and appalled at your attitiude, a life guard telling anglers they cant use a (not my)beach...........unless it is prohibited by local bye laws, anglers have just as much right to fish a beach as the man next door does to swim, walk, snorkel, surf.

What gives you the right to say...........NO FISHING

A group of 4 anglers would take up approx 80 yards on the beach, hardly a major inconvenience now is it?

Get off your high horse and show some common courtesy.

I'd hardly choose to have a picnic in the middle of my local park if there was a football match in progress now would I, so why do a small idiot minority of surfers think its acceptable to surf where anglers are already fishing.

Less of the hysterics please, this isint judge judy.

During the summer months i would not allow any anglers between my red and yellow bathing flags because as far as im concerned its a safety hazard for ALL other water users. Show some common curtosy for other water users and keep a potentially very dangerous activity away from the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Martin,

A key difference between our points of view is that you are asking that surfers give up a stretch of beach / reef whatever for your activities. I, in turn, am not asking that of anglers. I am just saying that I am happy to paddle out regardless. If there is a better peak 50m away, I will head there.

That is just the way it is.

There is no offence meant here, and in answer to some of the situations posited above, surfers will generally share wave zones with other water users, there is an etiquette system in place for that.

However I do not believe that any water users should have to share the wave zone with jet skis - they are both highly dangerous and polluting.

mga1761 wrote: »
    Would you also consider surfing if other enthusiasts (like those that swim, use jet-skis, etc) were already using a stretch of water? Surely these people also need a stretch of beach/water to themselves, for safety sake, if nothing else?

Try answering that question from an anglers perspective: Why should a well known fishing beach be cleared because a couple of guys (surfers!) want to take over the place to themselves?

For the record, I don’t remember anyone asking that a beach be cleared, nor do I recall anyone saying that they wanted to take over any beach to themselves. All that has been requested here is that surfers respect the space that anglers occupy.

Surely all water users need their space? Although I’m not a surfer, common sense tells me that even two surfers in each others space could be dangerous for each of them. No?

I’m not a lawyer, but I’d be prepared to take my case to court if someone got injured as a result of action they took, like straying into my fishing zone.

Try substituting the word “fish” with “surf” in your statement above and read it again.
    Can you see the contradiction in your argument?

From everything I’ve experienced (and read here), it’s not that the anglers can’t co-exist with other water users. It’s the other way around.

Also for you information, anglers do regular clean-ups and have invested hugely in their hobby, both time and money (just in case you’re under the illusion that it’s only surfers that have invested in their water sport).

Your comment above is a little rich, especially coming from someone that’s prepared to mention “civil responsibilities”. From all that’s been said in earlier posts, it sounds like you’re not one of the surfers here who’s prepared to show a little respect and courtesy. Too bad…

To all the surfers that have taken some of the points onboard and can see this issue from another’s perspective, thank you.

-Martin.

Martin, you have made two fundamental mistakes.

1. Surfers, bodysurfers (swimmers), kayakers, windsurfers and bodyboarders all frequent the water at the same time regularly in ireland without problems. We dont need our own space we share the same lineup happily. Our sports can all co-exist in unison in the water without any clashes. Anglers cant, because of the danger they present TO ALL OTHER WATER USERS and the need for their own isolated spot on the beach. Why should all other water users suffer for a minority?

2. If you cause personal injury or damage to someone as a direct result of your actions (you own the fishing equipment and are throwing your line in the water) then you are liable for any incurred damages as a result. Take it from someone with a legal background.

Martin,

A key difference between our points of view is that you are asking that surfers give up a stretch of beach / reef whatever for your activities. I, in turn, am not asking that of anglers. I am just saying that I am happy to paddle out regardless. If there is a better peak 50m away, I will head there.

Exactly Oldguysrule, surfers can happily co-exist in the water with any other water user and have never asked anglers to move on or prevented them from doing their thing. Its a bit rich to ask others to give up their passion for their own gain.

Martin,

Yes, I understand the fundamental difference. If angling caused the same type of disruption to surfing, that surfing causes to angling, I'd say you'd be prepared to ask anglers to not to fish in your immediate vicinity or you wouldn't "paddle out regardless" (dangers aside, as they don't seem to bother you?!).

I still don't see the problem in "giving up a stretch of beach" if it means others can enjoy their sport also. I've turned away from many stretches of beaches because other water users were there when I arrived.

I didn't (and still don't) have a problem with that. I do it because I feel it's the right thing to do.

-Martin.

• Advertisement

Yes, I understand the fundamental difference. If angling caused the same type of disruption to surfing, that surfing causes to angling, I'd say you'd be prepared to ask anglers to not to fish in your immediate vicinity or you wouldn't "paddle out regardless" (dangers aside, as they don't seem to bother you?!).

I still don't see the problem in "giving up a stretch of beach" if it means others can enjoy their sport also. I've turned away from many stretches of beaches because other water users were there when I arrived.

I didn't (and still don't) have a problem with that. I do it because I feel it's the right thing to do.

-Martin.

Martin would it be fair to say that angling causes disruption to all other water sports rather than all other water sports cause a disruption to angling? Its not just surfers that disrupt angling, due to the danger of the sport nobody else can use the water if ye are there. Because lets be fair here, surfers have never asked anyone to move down a beach and as has been pointed out surfers share the water with all other water users happily. Wed be happy to share the water with anglers too except for the dangers fishing lines pose to others. The odd one out in the group is the anglers. You have to accept that angling is potentially a dangerous sport and cant be mixed with others, while at the same time you cant expect all other water users not to use a natural resource because of a minority.

There will always be other people in the water at popular spots, you cant expect others to give that up. Thats the nature of the angling game unfortunately.

Martin, you have made two fundamental mistakes.

1. Surfers, bodysurfers (swimmers), kayakers, windsurfers and bodyboarders all frequent the water at the same time regularly in ireland without problems. We dont need our own space we share the same lineup happily. Our sports can all co-exist in unison in the water without any clashes. Anglers cant, because of the danger they present TO ALL OTHER WATER USERS and the need for their own isolated spot on the beach. Why should all other water users suffer for a minority?

2. If you cause personal injury or damage to someone as a direct result of your actions (you own the fishing equipment and are throwing your line in the water) then you are liable for any incurred damages as a result. Take it from someone with a legal background.

(1) I don't see anyone asking all other water users to suffer. It's about sharing a resource in a responsible manner. My initial post was triggered by a few people that decided to surf directly over our lines - they strayed away from the main group of surfers who stayed well up at the other end of the beach. There seemed to be plenty of surf right along the entire beach. I failed to see the logic and sense in them surfing right where we were fishing. (I'm not referring to the competition the petekd mentioned - I wasn't at that competition so didn't specifically mention it, although I can perfectly understand their frustration).

(2) You obviously didn't read my post properly. I was referring to "their" actions - like moving into a space already occupied by my fishing gear. Regardless of your legal background and advice, if someone gets injured as a result of "their" actions, I'll take my chances in court. Just because someone may partake in a particular watersport, doesn't give them an advantage or superiority (legal or otherwise).

I hope it never comes to that. The last thing I would ever want to see is someone get injured, for whatever reason. (And no, that's not a threat, veiled or otherwise). I've often taken in my gear when surfers have strayed into my zone, simply to prevent them from injuring themselves.

The whole point of my initial post was to try to get other water users (in this case, surfers) to try to see things from an anglers perspective.

I don't know of any anglers that are out to interfere with others' enjoyment of their sport, or to ask or expect them to "suffer" in any way. We're lucky to have such a resource available to us - all of us.

I think we should all be prepared to compromise when the situation calls for it. If we (all of us, regardless of our sport) can't show compromise and common courtesy to those around us, what does that say about us?

-Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The fishing club took over one end of the beach and left the rest for everybody else the lads that disrupted it could easily have surfed where everybody else was but wanted a sneaky surf on their own without a crowd.

Every year we take over part of the beach for a competition, ok it's a smaller part but it's much the same thing, same with the longboard event in Lahinch or Stradhill or even Easkey left to the national and we all respect that. I've come across guys fishing on beaches (rarely) but there has always been enough space and waves for everybody. You should have enough cop on to know that a surfer stomping around in the shallows is going to spook fish and there is a risk of getting accidentally hit or limiting his casting range if you are out the back.
    It they were expecting to take over the beach all the time that would be different but it’s not it’s once and a while.

(1) I don't see anyone asking all other water users to suffer. It's about sharing a resource in a responsible manner. My initial post was triggered by a few people that decided to surf directly over our lines - they strayed away from the main group of surfers who stayed well up at the other end of the beach. There seemed to be plenty of surf right along the entire beach. I failed to see the logic and sense in them surfing right where we were fishing. (I'm not referring to the competition the petekd mentioned - I wasn't at that competition so didn't specifically mention it, although I can perfectly understand their frustration).

But the problem lies where Anglers are the only group who cant share the resource, all other water users live in harmony. Its as oldguysrule put it, we have no problem sharing the water with anglers nor have ever asked them to move on.
    (2) You obviously didn't read my post properly. I was referring to "their" actions - like moving into a space already occupied by my fishing gear. Regardless of your legal background and advice, if someone gets injured as a result of "their" actions, I'll take my chances in court. Just because someone may partake in a particular watersport, doesn't give them an advantage or superiority (legal or otherwise).

I hope it never comes to that. The last thing I would ever want to see is someone get injured, for whatever reason. (And no, that's not a threat, veiled or otherwise). I've often taken in my gear when surfers have strayed into my zone, simply to prevent them from injuring themselves.

If by "their actions" you mean a surfer paddling into an area where anglers are casting then you are still 100% in the wrong if when casting your line you caused damage or injury to the surfer. If i drive on the road and you crash into me, is it my fault that im now occupying the road you are on?
    The whole point of my initial post was to try to get other water users (in this case, surfers) to try to see things from an anglers perspective.

I don't know of any anglers that are out to interfere with others' enjoyment of their sport, or to ask or expect them to "suffer" in any way. We're lucky to have such a resource available to us - all of us.

I think we should all be prepared to compromise when the situation calls for it. If we (all of us, regardless of our sport) can't show compromise and common courtesy to those around us, what does that say about us?

-Martin.

I can see it from an anglers perspective, and sure it sucks when you cant cast/fish because of others in the water but that doesnt make it the surfers fault or anyone else in the water for that matter. They are just as entitled to be there with the caviet that their sport isint exclusive to themselves and cant be shared with all water users. Its the nature and danger of angling thats responsible for this and as much as I admire the whole compromise idea there's only one side compromising and thats all the other water users because anglers cant co-exist.

Its nothing personal or deliberate rudness of surfers who have limited time in the water (research how seldom it gets good in ireland with swell patterns, wind and tides effecting breaks) during winter months to make the most of conditions. As frustrating as it is for guys you cant blame surfers for wanting to make the most of the waves.

The fishing club took over one end of the beach and left the rest for everybody else the lads that disrupted it could easily have surfed where everybody else was but wanted a sneaky surf on their own without a crowd.

Every year we take over part of the beach for a competition, ok it's a smaller part but it's much the same thing, same with the longboard event in Lahinch or Stradhill or even Easkey left to the national and we all respect that. I've come across guys fishing on beaches (rarely) but there has always been enough space and waves for everybody. You should have enough cop on to know that a surfer stomping around in the shallows is going to spook fish and there is a risk of getting accidentally hit or limiting his casting range if you are out the back.
    It they were expecting to take over the beach all the time that would be different but it’s not it’s once and a while.

As per my earlier post. Was the competition communicated to the local surf club? The locality in general? Do the local anglers contribute to the beach and local area? Those surf comps are run by the local surf clubs who put an enormous amount of work into the local beaches and community. When a competition is organised its not just a case of showing up at the beach - its properly planned, relevant people informed (local communites etc.) and it gives something back to the area. Im assuming this fishing comp was a case of show up on the day and drive on, something a surf comp would never do.

But the problem lies where Anglers are the only group who cant share the resource, all other water users live in harmony. Its as oldguysrule put it, we have no problem sharing the water with anglers nor have ever asked them to move on.
    If kayaking or snorkling scared away your surfboards, would you still "live in harmony" with them on the same patch of water?
    If by "their actions" you mean a surfer paddling into an area where anglers are casting then you are still 100% in the wrong if when casting your line you caused damage or injury to the surfer. If i drive on the road and you crash into me, is it my fault that im now occupying the road you are on?
    No, I mean once baited hooks are cast out and are fluttering away in the sea for a period of time (which they usually are) and a surfer paddles onto them, it's the action of the surfer that causes his/her own injury. No angler I've ever fished with would dream of casting out where other water users are!
    I can see it from an anglers perspective, and sure it sucks when you cant cast/fish because of others in the water but that doesnt make it the surfers fault or anyone else in the water for that matter. They are just as entitled to be there with the caviet that their sport isint exclusive to themselves and cant be shared with all water users. Its the nature and danger of angling thats responsible for this and as much as I admire the whole compromise idea there's only one side compromising and thats all the other water users because anglers cant co-exist.
    So not fishing an area already occupied by water users isn't compromising? We anglers do this all the time. How can you say anglers don't compromise?
    Its nothing personal or deliberate rudness of surfers who have limited time in the water (research how seldom it gets good in ireland with swell patterns, wind and tides effecting breaks) during winter months to make the most of conditions. As frustrating as it is for guys you cant blame surfers for wanting to make the most of the waves.

Once again, nobody has said surfers (or other water users) shouldn't be allowed to use the water and make the most of the conditions. This is perfectly understandable. The instances giving rise to this thread are where surfers move into an area already occupied by anglers, where they have other parts of the beach to surf. Areas, by the way, that are more than adequate for other surfers.

I'm not talking about the exception that accidentially strays into a fishing zone, I'm not talking about the folks that keep to another part of the beach - I'm talking about the few that insist on surfing right where anglers are based, regardless of an abundance of space and excellent surf conditions elsewhere on the beach!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

. Im assuming this fishing comp was a case of show up on the day and drive on, something a surf comp would never do.

This particular competition had been scheduled back in 2009.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18843&start=20

If kayaking or snorkling scared away your surfboards, would you still "live in harmony" with them on the same patch of water?

That doesnt happen so its irrelevant, all other ater users are grand sharing the same ocean space

So not fishing an area already occupied by water users isn't compromising? We anglers do this all the time. How can you say anglers don't compromise?

As far as im concerned theres no need for any compromise from anyone. Angling is dangerous and should not be done near anyone else, if there are people at the beach using the water then its tough luck really. Angling is potentially dangerous and other water users shouldnt have to give up any space and likewise anglers shouldnt expect this. Its the same with jeskiiers, they cant simply fly around on their skis in the vicinity of other water users.
    Once again, nobody has said surfers (or other water users) shouldn't be allowed to use the water and make the most of the conditions. This is perfectly understandable. The instances giving rise to this thread are where surfers move into an area already occupied by anglers, where they have other parts of the beach to surf. Areas, by the way, that are more than adequate for other surfers.

I'm not talking about the exception that accidentially strays into a fishing zone, I'm not talking about the folks that keep to another part of the beach - I'm talking about the few that insist on surfing right where anglers are based, regardless of an abundance of space and excellent surf conditions elsewhere on the beach!!!

I will often take a walk down the beach to a less crowded peak when im surfing. Should i just stay amongst the crowd and keep to the group because a few anglers want to have a fish? Im happy out to share the water with them, im not asking them to leave but the fact is its a dangerous sport and cant handle others in the area.

My advice, find an empty beach and fish there, that way you wont interfere with anyone else. Or just take up surfing and share the water with the rest of us!

jd wrote: »
    This particular competition had been scheduled back in 2009.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18843&start=20

It could have been scheduled amongst yerselves 10 years ago for all that matters. The problem is that none of the local communities (surf clubs, surf schools etc.) were canvassed or contacted, and the tournament wasnt highlighted in the area either. What did it even bring to the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

It could have been scheduled amongst yerselves 10 years ago for all that matters. The problem is that none of the local communities (surf clubs, surf schools etc.) were canvassed or contacted, and the tournament wasnt highlighted in the area either. What did it even bring to the area?

It was organised by the local sea angling club who are as much part of the community as "surf clubs, surf schools etc." Opens like this bring anglers from other parts of the country who spend money in the locality.

That been said, I never had any issues with surfers. However, people have been fishing on these beaches a long time before any surfers appeared, I can't see why it is so difficult for you to let people enjoy their sport in one part of the beach while you use another. Have you had any issues /conflict with anglers yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

A few things to point out that seem to get lost in translation..

a person who fishes a beach where there are swimmers and a life guard on duty is not called an angler,
    an angler has respect for other water sports, unfortunately there are some out there(like surfers) who seen to not bother with other people who use the beach responsibly.

if an angler is fishing an area of beach, then its up to the other water users to respect him as he was there first on the beach, the same goes for anyone out surfing,

yes angling can be a dangerous sport, especially if you find your self out in the water in front of one who is about to cast, so its up to that water user to keep a bit of distance away, even 40yrds to the side but at least 150 yrds out to sea (yes anglers can cast that far, and further)

if there is a competition do the surfers contact the angling clubs?? no and why should they!! in the same way angling clubs don't search out the numbers for surfing clubs for permission to fish a beach, however, an angling club that is affiliated with the IFSA (Irish Federation Of Sea Anglers) sets out its competitions in advance of the year so competitions don't clash with other major fishing competitions around the country, also the council also get a list of dates and venues of the competitions (here for example ) before the commencement of the year the competitions are held.

all that is called for is common courtesy, but unfortunately some people lack even this.

and any person who is willing to cause harm to others or property damage because someone interfered with their sport needs to just sit down and think about what they are about to do and is it really worth going through the courts??

even though I have never surfed in my life I have however done a lot of swimming and fishing, I do see the arguments from both sides, and that's where the problem lies, arguments, all that was asked for was a little respect and some people see the beach as theirs alone,
    a beach is to be shared by all..

maybe its time a few people from both sports got together and swapped competition dates and venues so that both the angling community and surfing community know what's going on.

and maybe the unwritten rule of first come first serve should take place, and the second person either find a new place to fish/surf or walk further up the beach out of the way of the first person!!
    we all travel to beaches, sometimes the opposite side of the country and sometimes to other countries to enjoy our sport, so lets do that, enjoy what we have and respect others enjoying their sport.

also local knowledge of a beach can help both sportsmen, there have been many times I've gone fishing and talked to surfers before they left a beach to find out where the reefs are and rocks (if any) because these are the areas fish can be found, in the same way I have told surfers where there are rocks that are covered ,what way the tide is pushing and if there is a rip tide at the time and where it is (another place fish can be found)

so lets enjoy our sports eh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

My advice, find an empty beach and fish there, that way you wont interfere with anyone else. Or just take up surfing and share the water with the rest of us!

replace fish with surf and surfing with fishing..

its not really an answer then is it??

That doesnt happen so its irrelevant, all other ater users are grand sharing the same ocean space
    The analogy stands! If other water sports interfered with YOUR sport, YOU wouldn't live in harmony with them. Your total lack of consideration for anyone spells this out plainly...

As far as im concerned theres no need for any compromise from anyone. Angling is dangerous and should not be done near anyone else, if there are people at the beach using the water then its tough luck really. Angling is potentially dangerous and other water users shouldnt have to give up any space and likewise anglers shouldnt expect this. Its the same with jeskiiers, they cant simply fly around on their skis in the vicinity of other water users.
    What you said is anglers don't compromise. They do! Now you're saying there's no need for anyone to compromise. There is! This ignorance on your behalf probably explains your attitude. I certainly hope you're an exception among the surfing community!

Anglers and jet-skiers are certainly not in the same category. Anglers don't fly around beaches on high-speed machines causing mayhem enroute. Anglers stick to a small unoccupied area, until their space is invaded by people with no consideration. Their actions in pursuing their sports are completely different. Anyone with any common sense could figure this out for themselves!
    I will often take a walk down the beach to a less crowded peak when im surfing. Should i just stay amongst the crowd and keep to the group because a few anglers want to have a fish? Im happy out to share the water with them, im not asking them to leave but the fact is its a dangerous sport and cant handle others in the area.
    Nobody asked you to remain with the crowd. Most beaches are large enough for everyone to enjoy their sport without interfering with anyone else. YOU obviously don't compromise. You think you've got a special right to the entire beach. If you feel angling is that dangerous and it can't handle others in the area, why would you want to surf among them?

You say "you're happy out to share the water with them". If this were true, you wouldn't interfere with their sport and you'd show some consideration.

You just don't get it, do you? Or don't want to get it? I've tried to reason with people here based on a logical common sense approach to a worthy debate, in the hopes that somewhere down the road, frustration, annoyance, heated arguments or possibly even injury could be avoided, but I think I'm wasting my time...(no offence to the other surfers out there by the way that DO understand).

-Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Petekd

Out of interest, when the anglers decided to hold their comp at a surfing beach, did they contact the local surf club, the ISA or any other representative groups? Was there any advance notice published at the beach or online advising surfers (many who may have travelled significant distances for their surf)? Just wondering how far the respect went

Er yes. There had been a long standing arrangement with clubs in the area that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Clubs etc were notified, people renting equipment etc at the venue were notified and signs had been placed a week or two beforehand. Some of you people are displaying the exact same attitude as was displayed at the weekend and there is no justification to it. Our comp was scheduled from 11-3, it took over a section of Rossnowlagh beach and there was ample space for everyone else elsewhere. Indeed, on looking at conditions, the better surf was on the other side of the beach we had left alone. It was plain and simple ignorance, intentional or otherwise. I travelled a considerable distance to fish that comp, I stayed up the night before putting money into the local economy (ie pub :)) I paid my entry fee to the local club and was in the process of preparing an article highlighting the area in the biggest angling magazine in the country. Thats my contribution to the area thanks very much. How on earth would you suggest that somehow surfers contribute more in there actions as some kind of defense for what is sheer selfishness.

You dont understand that an incursion into the shallows puts fish out of there. Its that simple, there is hence then no point being there as an angler, our day is ruined. It wasnt asking too much there was plenty of room, there had been plenty of notice and it was for a limited time. You cant defend it or take the higher moral ground. You seem to think that you have a divine right to ride rough shod over the rest of us and its not on. FWIW, that was the only large comp to be held on Rossnowlagh this year. On the day in question, we were there first too. Thats hardly asking too much now is it?! Forget about the health and safety aspect and the veiled threats or what have you, lets get it back to what it is, sharing or rather a lack of it. If you bought a ticket to the cinema, you wouldnt appreciate me sitting in your lap blocking your view for the duration would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dfella25

Nail on the head Pete. First there end of. It had nothing to do with them being surfers. An a$$hole is just an a$$hole. Get them in all walks of like so it doesn't have to be angler V's surfer and all that jazz.

It's a damn shame your article will not be Irish Angler as a result. I have enjoyed them many times and the local info on places to stay and eat etc. is a great promotion for any area. Helped of course with pic's of fish.

And it's terrible for the local lads who are the angling club. After all the work that goes into and promoting an open, it must have been heart braking. And like yourself and others who travelled up and to have your time and money wasted is terrible. I know the amount of work I put into a match/comp, I to would have felt angry and wanted to voice my opinions. Pity its fallen on deaf ears. I for one would not defend anyone angler or not that showed such disregard for other people enjoying a day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

I was in rossnowlagh for a run on sunday and noticed the competition going on in the middle of the beach, was it originally as far over as the cliffs or just where the car free zone normally is? I did see a couple of surfers near the anglers but to me they looked like newbies, it wasn't an overly big day a bit messy and low tide. They were hanging on to their boards catching broken waves. It was pretty obvious there was a competition going on and they should've known better. Did the anglers catch much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Petekd wrote: »
    Er yes. There had been a long standing arrangement with clubs in the area that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Clubs etc were notified, people renting equipment etc at the venue were notified and signs had been placed a week or two beforehand.

Again sorry it spoiled your weekend - it shouldn't have happend and there are to many people on hight horses.

It's all well and good talking to the local club but most surfers aren't in the local club so won't know.

Folks it was only one day a year, it was in winter so there's no swimmers. If we f-up their comps what's to stop them coming along and doing the same. Life's to short for all this nonsence there should be some give and take. If you see guys fishing, pick a different peek it's not going to kill you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Petekd

Again sorry it spoiled your weekend - it shouldn't have happend and there are to many people on hight horses.

It's all well and good talking to the local club but most surfers aren't in the local club so won't know.

Folks it was only one day a year, it was in winter so there's no swimmers. If we f-up their comps what's to stop them coming along and doing the same. Life's to short for all this nonsence there should be some give and take. If you see guys fishing, pick a different peek it's not going to kill you.

Thanks Spacehopper, I appreciate your comments. A little reason, common sense and courtesy both ways is all we ask and will only benefit both factions. The current set up is not on. I appreciate not all surfers are as ill mannered as some of those we met at the weekend and I apologise for the strength of some of the language on my original post on SAI. For some of the other posters on this thread however, I feel there will be no response. All I say to them is this, if an angler is there first, put yourself in his shoes. How p.ed would you be if someone turned up and ruined your day out? We also have to factor in work commitments, time commitments, certain tides, certain weather patterns etc for success, you arent the only ones.

spaceHopper, I too would like to echo Pete's thanks. Clearly you, along with some of your fellow surfers on this forum (like Mickeroo, PeakOutput & Kodute, to name a few) are sensible and understanding people, based on your responses.

Thank you for your understanding.

Happy surfing ;)

-Martin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Its really easy guys, figure out a way to get along and stop argueing, or one or even both of the activities will be prohibited. There are plenty of other activities that go on in the water.

Anyone in the water should be wary of fishing lines... only for their own safety... including discarded or broken lines.
    Fishermen should be mindful that they do not own the beach, and are merely sharing it.

Its simply about respect and common sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement